The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

I have been a basketball and football official since '78. My youngest son decided to play soccer instead of football this year. I have watched soccer for 5 years. I know you soccer offials work hard.But in reality, it doesn't appear the officials I watch communicate well what is going on. I hear a whistle (very weak i might add), they point, no signal, no nothing and the fans sit in the crowd wondering what's going on??? I cannot figure out why they call it or not call it. The guys around here barely move from on position to the next. HELP ME.. IS THIS REALLY OFFICIATING??
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Well, it is and it isn't. Lack of signals is normal soccer, so except for school games, you will see very few, mostly pointing. I guess that way back, it wasn't very spectator oriented and the refs didn't call much except things the players undertood.
The weak whistles and not moving are not acceptable in any game, but the degree of it might have to do with the age group (officials as well as players) and the size of the crowd. Not knowing the age and USSF or NFHS make it harder to answer, but please don't think we'll ever have as many signals as your sports, 16 is bad enough.
More to the point, in soccer the game keeps moving with no time to stop for a signal or report to the table.