The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Never Gets Boring ...

Varsity prep school game today. I'm the lead. I'm watching to post players underneath. Out of the corner of my eye I see a shot by Team A from the perimeter. I now concentrate on rebounding action. The ball comes down near two Team B players, the ball touches one of them, and the ball continues toward out of bounds. For some odd reason the Team B players make no attempt to get the ball, which goes out of bounds. I figure it was one of those, "I got it, no you got it" situations. Stop clock signal, blow whistle, and call, "Team A ball". Everybody now looks at me like I've grown a second head. My partner informs me that the shot went in. Boy, did I feel like a jerk. As the game progresses I note that the nets on both ends are real loose, and the ball goes through them like a bat out of hell. At halftime the athletic director tells me that he was going to put up the new nets today but he forgot. Well at least no one can accuse me of ball watching from the lead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 05, 2009 at 01:05pm.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:05pm
We don't rent pigs

couldn't help myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
....... like a bat out of hell.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Boy, did I feel like a jerk.

Probably hard to run up and down the floor like this.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

It is good to feel "special" every once in a while but not like this.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
It is good to feel "special" every once in a while....
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 03:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Varsity prep school game today. I'm the lead. I'm watching to post players underneath. Out of the corner of my eye I see a shot by Team A from the perimeter. I now concentrate on rebounding action. The ball comes down near two Team B players, the ball touches one of them, and the ball continues toward out of bounds. For some odd reason the Team B players make no attempt to get the ball, which goes out of bounds. I figure it was one of those, "I got it, no you got it" situations. Stop clock signal, blow whistle, and call, "Team A ball". Everybody now looks at me like I've grown a second head. My partner informs me that the shot went in. Boy, did I feel like a jerk. As the game progresses I note that the nets on both ends are real loose, and the ball goes through them like a bat out of hell. At halftime the athletic director tells me that he was going to put up the new nets today but he forgot. Well at least no one can accuse me of ball watching from the lead.
One more and the Brothers Matzoreilly are in trouble.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Been there

I know how you feel. This happened about 5 years ago. My situation was that the ball didn't go in the basket, however I was convinced that it did. Player walked over and grabbed the ball and started dribbling away from the endline. I blew my whistle and said they had to take the ball out and called a violation. thank goodness for partners. Couldn't get the ball back inbound quick enough.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Heads Are Better Than One ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
My situation was that the ball didn't go in the basket, however I was convinced that it did.
Same thing, about three years ago. Boys varsity Christmas tournament. Again, I'm the lead. I'm watching the big guys underneath. Out of the corner of my eye I see a shot by Team A from the top of the key, near the three point line. I now concentrate on rebounding action. Out of the corner of my eye I see the net make a "whiplike" motion, and then the ball go out of bounds under the basket. I figure the ball went in, so, of course, there's no reason for me to blow my whistle. Two Team B players are near the ball, and they both look at me, again, like I've got two heads. I just motion them to pick up the ball. B1 makes the throwin to B2, who takes a couple of dribbles up the court, at which point my partner blows his whistle, comes over to me, and said something like, "What the heck are you doing?". At that point I still had no idea that the ball didn't go in, until he explained to me that the shot was way short, and hit the bottom of the net on the way out of bounds.

No one will ever accuse me of ball watching from the lead. Never, ever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Good officiating. I sometimes, as the lead, have to ask my partners if the ball went in after I call a foul. I was taught when I first started to not look up when you've got rebounders to watch.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:31pm
#thereferee99

Same thing... 3 hours ago...

doing some CYO 5th grade action at a local 'Auxilliary Gym' at a High School. Same scenario. Look up and the whole back side of the net has come unattached. Ball passed through... but wasn't slowed down by any net.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:33pm
#thereferee99

bMac...

Quote:
Two Team B players are near the ball, and they both look at me, again, like I've got two heads.
Wait, is it possible...??
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
bat out of hell. .
Two out of three ain't bad.