The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

What do I do?

Varsity Boys Game. I'm an up-and-coming official who after a few years of hard work, camps, watching film, attending games and listening to everyone's advice have made it on the varsity list. Both my partners are experienced guys. I've learned to keep my mouth shut when needed and to just do my job.

We start the game with the toss and on the first dead ball after the toss I realize the home team is in black and the away team is sporting the white. (I know it is something that should have been caught in the warm-ups but I missed it. In the post below by IndianaRef they caught it in the JV game, but our game didn't have a JV game prior Home Team wear Dark). I know the rule 3-4-1c and the penalty 10-5-4.

So here is my question? What do I do?

A. Do I do what by rule I should do. Double T sit both coaches and move on with the game, possibly ruffling a few feathers of my partners, but doing what the rule book says.

B. Do I go talk to the R inform him of the situation and pass the buck onto him and willing to live with the decision he makes.

C. Or Do I just ignore it all together. No Big Deal. Both teams are happy. Move on with life and the game?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

If you've been directed by your association to enforce the rule (or, rather, not directed to not enforce it), the first thing I'd do is get together with your partners. At the least, they need to know why you're doing what you're doing. You never know, they may have a reason for not enforcing the rule, and it's good crew communication in a situation like this to make sure everyone knows what's going on.

If you've been directed to enforce the rule, but after talking with your crew the R wants to pass on it, you've got a choice to make.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Varsity Boys Game. I'm an up-and-coming official who after a few years of hard work, camps, watching film, attending games and listening to everyone's advice have made it on the varsity list. Both my partners are experienced guys. I've learned to keep my mouth shut when needed and to just do my job.

We start the game with the toss and on the first dead ball after the toss I realize the home team is in black and the away team is sporting the white. (I know it is something that should have been caught in the warm-ups but I missed it. In the post below by IndianaRef they caught it in the JV game, but our game didn't have a JV game prior Home Team wear Dark). I know the rule 3-4-1c and the penalty 10-5-4.

So here is my question? What do I do?

A. Do I do what by rule I should do. Double T sit both coaches and move on with the game, possibly ruffling a few feathers of my partners, but doing what the rule book says.

B. Do I go talk to the R inform him of the situation and pass the buck onto him and willing to live with the decision he makes.

C. Or Do I just ignore it all together. No Big Deal. Both teams are happy. Move on with life and the game?
I go with C. If both teams are happy and there is a distinct difference between the home and away uniforms then you don't really have an issue.

I think it should be a state option to allow teams to decide what colour they want to wear.

Also, some schools aren't wealthy enough in some regions to afford two different sets of uniforms.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

To be honest I don't know how my assignor or the association wants it dealt with. I just emailed them this morning.

The reason I gave option A. was because I thought if I just wack the teams on my own R wouldn't feel like he was being undermined (he may chastise me at half) because if I go talk to the crew and they decided it is no big deal then I'm in a really tough spot if my tenant beliefs are firm enough to enforce the rule.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well my gut is this is one of the few rules that if broken doesn't give one team a particular advantage.

I did a Sr V game last night. Home team was in blue, visiting team was in red. No harm done.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To be honest I don't know how my assignor or the association wants it dealt with. I just emailed them this morning.

The reason I gave option A. was because I thought if I just wack the teams on my own R wouldn't feel like he was being undermined (he may chastise me at half) because if I go talk to the crew and they decided it is no big deal then I'm in a really tough spot if my tenant beliefs are firm enough to enforce the rule.
That's certainly a possible option. That said, it's the opposite of good crew communication IMO, which is critical. I don't like that many of us have to deal with association politics, either, but it's a reality. Choosing to acknowledge that reality means Option A, B, or C may be the best answer. This isn't a case of a team gaining an unfair advantage, so I throw the "but the rules are the rules" argument out the window. You have to make a decision that 1. provides a quality experience for the teams; and 2. is your best effort at doing what you believe your association wants you to do.

I'm curious - what did you do?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd also consider asking the State association.

There was an email sent around here (IL) about a Thanksgiving tournament in which the host school was the "visitors" for a particular game, and, thus, was wearing a color. The "home team on the scoreboard" also wanted to wear a (different) color, since they had worn the white jerseys the night before. All coaches, etc., agreed it would be okay (no confusing colors, no one cared about the strict uniform requirements, etc.).

The state was notified and wanted (wants) the rule to be enforced.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I ignore it, but bring it to the attention of partners at half. Count it as a learning experience and file it away. It may have been discussed by both teams days before the game and agreed upon by both.

In my area, a team received new unis this season only to have home colors gold and away brown. A violation. They contacted turkey tournament school officials who switched them from home to away team. Since game was on a neutral court, problem solved.

Does one team gain an advantage by having wrong colors? No. Is it a rule? Yes.

To me, it's game management 101.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Our assignor is from the state association
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I would just report the schools to the state association and let them handle it. I am not going to be too upset as long as I have 2 different colors. When the home was in black and visitors in white - I am going to assume there must have been some kind of communication between the schools.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

There was an email sent around here (IL) about a Thanksgiving tournament in which the host school was the "visitors" for a particular game, and, thus, was wearing a color. The "home team on the scoreboard" also wanted to wear a (different) color, since they had worn the white jerseys the night before. All coaches, etc., agreed it would be okay (no confusing colors, no one cared about the strict uniform requirements, etc.).

The state was notified and wanted (wants) the rule to be enforced.

Obviously in baseball, home and away can mean quite a difference.

Bob, are uniforms in baseball along the same guidelines?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Personally, I ignore it, but bring it to the attention of partners at half. Count it as a learning experience and file it away. It may have been discussed by both teams days before the game and agreed upon by both.
It was agreed upon by both. I asked one of the coaches and he said that the home team wanted to have a "black out" game so the visiting team agreed to wear whites.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

In one of the HS leagues I officiate, the home school wears dark and the visitors white. That's just what they do, I don't know why.

In this case, I would mention your observation to the R. I'm 99% sure he'll pass on it. If you were to override him in this case and whack both coaches, as a brand new varsity official, I think that's suicide. If anyone asks you why you let it go, you can rightly say you brought it to the attention of the more senior official and he decided to let it go (for whatever reason). Then it's his issue. I think you get in more trouble for crossing your partner(s) in this case, than for sticking your neck out to enforce a rule like this. JMHO.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
I would just report the schools to the state association and let them handle it.
K, so if I do that do I run the risk of being the "tattle-tell" and possibly get my partners in trouble for not having enforced it. I don't want to be know for having thrown my partners under the bus to the association and lose trust.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I believe you're from the same state I am. When the switch to white became mandatory, the state made quite a big deal about it. I'm pretty sure they'd back you for the T, but I'm not sure they'd necessarily want the T. Since you're the junior guy on the crew, I think I'd bring it to the R's attention and let him make the call. And then run it past Petty and/or your association president and see what they say.

Edited to add: You can probably find a way to raise the question without having to name names.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 12:39pm.