The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Pass to self

I have used my dribble and make a pass to my team mate who goes back door and does not see the pass coming. I run over and pick up the pass. Is this a travel?

What if I see him going backdoor and try to hold up on the pass but the ball slips. Is this considered a fumble and therefore no traveling?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzooref View Post
I have used my dribble and make a pass to my team mate who goes back door and does not see the pass coming. I run over and pick up the pass. Is this a travel?

What if I see him going backdoor and try to hold up on the pass but the ball slips. Is this considered a fumble and therefore no traveling?
If the passed ball touches the floor and you touch the ball before it touches or is touched by another player, it is an illegal dribble. If the ball does not touch the floor and you touch the ball before it touches or is touched by another player, it is a travel.

A fumble is defined in 4-21. If you deem the action to be a fumble, then it can legally be recovered. In the second part of your OP, I would judge that to be a fumble
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
If the passed ball touches the floor and you touch the ball before it touches or is touched by another player, it is an illegal dribble. If the ball does not touch the floor and you touch the ball before it touches or is touched by another player, it is a travel.

A fumble is defined in 4-21. If you deem the action to be a fumble, then it can legally be recovered. In the second part of your OP, I would judge that to be a fumble
I have some questions for you based upon your response.

What if A1 is dribbling at the top of the FT semi-circle and in mid-dribble pushes a bounce pass to towards his teammate with only one hand? Did A1 end his dribble? Can he run over and be the first to touch the ball?

What if A1 is holding the ball and throws a bounce pass towards his teammate who doesn't see it. Can he run over and be the first to touch the ball?

Do you believe that the Case Book is correct or that the Rules Book takes precedence for illegal dribble or traveling?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have some questions for you based upon your response.

What if A1 is dribbling at the top of the FT semi-circle and in mid-dribble pushes a bounce pass to towards his teammate with only one hand? Did A1 end his dribble? Can he run over and be the first to touch the ball?

What if A1 is holding the ball and throws a bounce pass towards his teammate who doesn't see it. Can he run over and be the first to touch the ball?

Do you believe that the Case Book is correct or that the Rules Book takes precedence for illegal dribble or traveling?
If he touches with one hand, and continues the dribble, no problem. If he picks it up with two, no problem, but he cannot dribble. Dribbled is now ended.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref: I know you know the answers. Rather than pose the question - please answer. This will get confusing real quick. It may have already gotten confusing to some.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 10:19am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
You were kind enough to provide a rules reference for the definition of fumble. Could you perchance do the same for the above pontification?
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

My Credit Card Is Ready ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
This will get confusing real quick. It may have already gotten confusing to some.
I would like to order a steam mop. I've seen your infomercials and think that it would make cleaning my kitchen floor a lot easier. However, I can't find the item number, nor can I find shipping information, on your website. I need your assistance.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
You were kind enough to provide a rules reference for the definition of fumble. Could you perchance do the same for the above pontification?
Illegal dribble: 9-5
Travel: 4-44
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzooref View Post

You have to decide. Did he pass it or fumble it?

Unfortunately, some posters above are confused. A fumble is not a dribble and a dribble is not a fumble.

If you judge it to be a fumble, then the player can retrieve it.

If you judge that it was a pass, then the passer cannot touch the ball before it touches another player. If he does, it's an illegal dribble.

BTW, there's no such thing as a "pass to self." A pass is ALWAYS to another player.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Illegal dribble: 9-5
Travel: 4-44
Wrong, it is not an illegal dribble. The ball is loose on the court. All ten players may legally obtain possession of the ball. A dribble is defined very clearly in the book. This is not a dribble therefore, it can not be an illegal dribble. Perfectly legal play that everyone in stands will be crying for something when you actually should have nothing. Play on! There are restrictions on the the player on what he can / can not do with the ball once he has regained possession.

Wrong, it is not a travel. You can not travel when you do not have possession of the ball. This is a fumble and represents a loose ball. All ten players may legally obtain possession of the ball. Play on. Again, restrictions are on this player once he regains possession of ball.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 05:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Wrong, it is not an illegal dribble. The ball is loose on the court. All ten players may legally obtain possession of the ball. A dribble is defined very clearly in the book. This is not a dribble therefore, it can not be an illegal dribble. Perfectly legal play that everyone in stands will be crying for something when you actually should have nothing. Play on! There are restrictions on the the player on what he can / can not do with the ball once he has regained possession.
Wrong, it's an illegal dribble. See case play 4.15.4C. It doesn't matter whether A1 "intended" to throw a pass or not.

Quote:
Wrong, it is not a travel. You can not travel when you do not have possession of the ball. This is a fumble and represents a loose ball. All ten players may legally obtain possession of the ball. Play on. Again, restrictions are on this player once he regains possession of ball.
Wrong, it's a travel. Case play 4.44.3D(b).

All of this assumes, of course, that the ball was "passed" and not fumbled.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 06:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For Players, Coaches, Fans, With No Casebook ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
See case play 4.15.4C. Case play 4.44.3D(b).
All of this assumes, of course, that the ball was "passed" and not fumbled.
4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent’s backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

4.44.3 SITUATION D: (a) A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other while keeping his/her pivot foot in contact with the floor; or (b) A1 throws the ball over the head of B1 and then takes several steps before catching it. RULING: Legal in (a), but a traveling violation in (b). In (b), since the ball did not touch the floor, the tossing and subsequent catch is illegal. (9-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you even read 9-5 before posting this? Either Scratch did or he knows it pretty darn well.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There's a specific case play where A1, having used his/her dribble, passes the ball toward A2. A2 is not looking and runs away and A1 recovers the ball after it bounces.

The ruling has gone back and forth as to whether it's an illegal dribble or a travel, but it's clear that it's a violation.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent’s backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.
In each of these cases, he dribbles again making it an illegal dribble. The opponents backboard is defined in rule 4-4 as part of the floor therefore making it part of the definition of a dribble. There is no rule that prevents him from picking up a loose ball. The restrictions placed on the person make the play illegal and have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.