The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 01:47am
In Time Out

off topic- that was awful- shame on the NCAA

Turning the channel I came across quite possibly the ugliest floor I have ever seen in the Memphis- Kansas game. I think it was St. Louis arena. But what made it really bad were the ads. First the REESE'S near the ft line. But then to top it off Bud Light on the sides.
This is FU$%ing college hoops. Sure the NCAA are whores during tourney time but this is the worst I've seen it for a regular game. Looked worse than a hockey rink. And of course Bud Light will stop at nothing to get younger drinkers, advertising on a floor where most of the players are under 21 along with many of the students watching the game.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 03:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Turning the channel I came across quite possibly the ugliest floor I have ever seen in the Memphis- Kansas game. I think it was St. Louis arena. But what made it really bad were the ads. First the REESE'S near the ft line. But then to top it off Bud Light on the sides.
This is FU$%ing college hoops. Sure the NCAA are whores during tourney time but this is the worst I've seen it for a regular game. Looked worse than a hockey rink. And of course Bud Light will stop at nothing to get younger drinkers, advertising on a floor where most of the players are under 21 along with many of the students watching the game.
I am going to disagree with you a little bit. This is not all about the NCAA. The NCAA is not in direct control of all tournaments. I have no problem with the Reese's Pieces ad, considering there are similar ads all the time in other forms of NCAA activities.

Secondly the Bud Light thing also does not bother me that much either. The people who attend these types of tournaments are not kids. The people that usually attend these tournaments are boosters and alumni. And many schools allow for tailgating with alcohol at universities. My Alma mater has outlawed alcohol on campus and that was big time controversial and has driven away many alumni during Homecoming and other school events. Maybe these seems like it is over the top, but alcohol is sold at many college events in and outside of those arenas. When the Big Ten Tournament was held in the United Center, there was a place where alcohol was sold and allowed on the premises. I would agree that it was not as blatant, but it could be sold at the event and many sponsors outside of the arena were allowed to be sold. For example there are beer gardens at the Big Ten Tournament that Budweiser or other distributors are allowed to participate. So this is not a first and will not be the last of these kinds of ads. But I would not say the NCAA is totally responsible because these are independent tournaments that help put teams together that would not normally play, with a tournament like atmosphere. After all this is about money and Athletic programs need that to function.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

I was there, the floor was ugly but this event was sponsored by the college basketball hall of fame. It was held at the Scottrade Center. Not on a college campus. Alcohol was served.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

It was indeed an ugly floor. One of the worst I've seen. Alcohol advertising at NCAA sporting events is, to me, awkward at best. It's just one of many things that socially and morally I find myself at odds with these days.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

But I'm sure the good folks from Bud Light insisted that their ad be accompanied by their standard disclaimer/good advice: Please Drink responsibly.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

My gosh people, get into the 21st century. There have been alcohol ads in college venues for quite some time. I know Mizzou had Busch Light ads on the scoreboard at the Hearnes Center. (Not sure if they're in Mizzou Arena now) I'm pretty sure they have them at Faurot Field too.

They play the Missouri Valley Conference tournament at the Scottrade Center every year and sell beer and the world hasn't come to an end.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 03:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
It was in St. Louis at the Scottrade Center, which is a hockey rink as well. Looks like you got it all.

I didn't really care for the floor but other than that no big deal.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
It was indeed an ugly floor. One of the worst I've seen. Alcohol advertising at NCAA sporting events is, to me, awkward at best. It's just one of many things that socially and morally I find myself at odds with these days.
I'm not quite saying you're a prude, but I can't see how alcohol advertising can give one moral pause. It's legal and perfectly acceptable in moderation. And just because half the athletes may be underage, the audience to which they play is overwhelmingly of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
It was in St. Louis at the Scottrade Center, which is a hockey rink as well. Looks like you got it all.

I didn't really care for the floor but other than that no big deal.
Agree, the floor was atrocious (I always liked the deep blue floor that they've had, goes with the building. But now that the Billikens have moved out I guess someone thought it was time for a change).

But the Bud light ad is a non event. For one the event was in St Louis, and AB still (even being foreign owned now) has a large corporate and cultural presence in this area. It's also the site of the annual Busch Bragging Rights game between Mizzou and Illinois.

But the floor is baaaaaad. I always thought basketballs in the FT semi circle/three point area is gimmicky at best. Like the stupid outfield arch at Busch.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
Not on a college campus. Alcohol was served.
Nevada has allowed alcohol sales at football and basketball games ON CAMPUS since I was a little kid. Of course, this is the State of Nevada, probably the last bastion of the Land of the Free. I cringe at over-regulation under which the rest of you must live.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 06:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

As the bumper sticker says: "If you're not supposed to drink and drive, why do bars have parking lots?"
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 07:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Of course, this is the State of Nevada, probably the last bastion of the Land of the Free. I cringe at over-regulation under which the rest of you must live.
HEY - here in Oregon, you can get a doctor to help you commit suicide while you smoke pot! It doesn't get any better than that.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 08:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Flower Power ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Here in Oregon, you can get a doctor to help you commit suicide while you smoke pot! It doesn't get any better than that.
Just a bunch of tree hugging hippies.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
HEY - here in Oregon, you can get a doctor to help you commit suicide while you smoke pot! It doesn't get any better than that.
Sure it does. As of last week you can go to Portland's first cannabis cafe. No, really.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Just a bunch of tree hugging hippies.
That particular bunch of hippies has moved to hugging tree roots.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 02:30am
In Time Out

ha good one "HEY - here in Oregon, you can get a doctor to help you commit suicide while you smoke pot! It doesn't get any better than that."

or course that may be why you guys lost to Stanford.