The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

just took in a jr. high game tonight. NFHS rules. 4 man crew. A player's mother asked me what I thought the discussion between the wh & L was about? I said I didn't know , maybe a rule clarification.... The wh spent most of the 2nd half bulls>*&&*ng with the L !! He was positioned between the sideline and hash for most of the game facing the Q-back rear end !!! LJ was tossing the football 15 yards to the kicker on free kicks. LJ was making free safety run the ball back to the Umpire !!!! It was a sorry display. Two positives . The Umpire was great. Hustle & hustle some more.The L was trying to avoid the wh. All these guys are in my chapter. They all have move than 8 years experience. I have 4 . I would love to confront them at the next chapter meeting but it would probably end my short career. Anyone know of a subtle way to let them know people notice ? I am hoping someone on the other side of the field reports this....
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jjb
just took in a jr. high game tonight. NFHS rules. 4 man crew. A player's mother asked me what I thought the discussion between the wh & L was about? I said I didn't know , maybe a rule clarification.... The wh spent most of the 2nd half bulls>*&&*ng with the L !! He was positioned between the sideline and hash for most of the game facing the Q-back rear end !!! LJ was tossing the football 15 yards to the kicker on free kicks. LJ was making free safety run the ball back to the Umpire !!!! It was a sorry display. Two positives . The Umpire was great. Hustle & hustle some more.The L was trying to avoid the wh. All these guys are in my chapter. They all have move than 8 years experience. I have 4 . I would love to confront them at the next chapter meeting but it would probably end my short career. Anyone know of a subtle way to let them know people notice ? I am hoping someone on the other side of the field reports this....
Just do your job when you work and stuff like this will work itself out in the long run.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Something to think about.

Did it ever occur to you there was a reason they were working this game? Maybe this was the only game they can handle?

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Rich - Good advice,, thanks.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, Rich is right. Just work your game and don't stoop down to your crews level, always work the best game you can work, anyone can see who's hustling and who's not.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Anytime you have the oppurtunity to observe another crew, make the best of it. Take the things that they do, right and wrong, and use them to better your game. If you know these guys well enough, you could give them some constructive critisizm by approaching them the right way. You could start a conversation by saying something like "Hey Joe, I saw you the other night at the East vs. West game." If he says something like "Yeah, how'd we look?", then he's opened the door to hear more. Make sure it's not all negative. Have some positive stuff mixed in. I wouldn't go over their head though. More than likely, you would end up regreting that. Either way, it's always good to learn from other's mistakes whenever you can.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Here's my suggestions...

Quote:
Originally posted by jjb
...LJ was making free safety run the ball back to the Umpire !!!! ... Two positives . The Umpire was great. Hustle & hustle some more...
I would let that umpire know he did a great job and I would make sure that your association knew that the umpire did a great job.

In our association we were discussing whether or not to implement an evaluation program based on what a private school league does in our state. This league developed a very simple evaluation form that the officials complete on the two coaching staffs and teams, and the coaching staffs complete on the officials. Positives and negatives are encouraged to be discussed and documented. These are sent to the league authorities who review and report back to the coaches and officials.

Its best to use whatever evaluation systems your association has in place. If none are in place, think about implementing them for next season.

Otherwise, it may be too late in the season to try and make waves. You should quietly discuss this matter with a leader in your associaion whom you can trust and let them take the proper actions.

This season I've taken a very strong approach to just concentrate on my assignment, and cooperate with the crew as much as possible... Its truly amazing but because of my hard work and positive attitude I know that I've elevated the performance of my crew. I don't try to do anyone else's job but my own and let the others handle their jobs.

And don't forget, make sure you let them know what a great job that umpire did...
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Here's my suggestions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
This season I've taken a very strong approach to just concentrate on my assignment, and cooperate with the crew as much as possible... Its truly amazing but because of my hard work and positive attitude I know that I've elevated the performance of my crew. I don't try to do anyone else's job but my own and let the others handle their jobs.
Sage advice.

It seems like you're always going to see or work with guys who are less than dilligent about doing their jobs. Though that may make your job more difficult, I think you have to just keep your head up, eyes on the things you're supposed to be looking at, hustle to the next position, and get the hell off the field when it's all over.

Once I get to be a more experienced official, I'll gladly tell a first-year guy "Look, why don't you try doing this?" but a guy who's more experienced than me? No way. If he's set in his ways, that's his issue, not mine. I'm just going to do my job the best I can and I figure everything will work out for me. If it doesn't work out for him, well, that's unfortunate but not my problem.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.