The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Such a shame

Came across this article a little bit ago. The umpire had instructed everyone to clear the field, but the kids stayed behind to play catch.

Where were the coaches? Where were the parents?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Where were the parents?
They were standing "nearby" watching them play catch in the lightning according to the article. They should be up for child neglect charges! Horrible, just horrible.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
They were standing "nearby" watching them play catch in the lightning according to the article. They should be up for child neglect charges! Horrible, just horrible.
Maybe indictments should be issued for God and/or Mother Nature for allowing such an activity like lightning occur near a child's play area.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Lord knows we could always use a new law and a new Obamagency or two to enforce it.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Lord knows we could always use a new law and a new Obamagency or two to enforce it.
Sore Loser
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Maybe indictments should be issued for God and/or Mother Nature for allowing such an activity like lightning occur near a child's play area.
Being in law enforcement for 25 years, and having worked child neglect/abuse cases for about 8 of those years, this is without a doubt criminal neglect.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
Being in law enforcement for 25 years, and having worked child neglect/abuse cases for about 8 of those years, this is without a doubt criminal neglect.
Yeah, gotta have someone to blame.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Can we have criminal neglect for a "Force Majeure"?
I mean, even tho the umpire cleared the field. he is not a "weather expert" nor were the parents that allowed the kids to continue to play catch.
The parents lost a child... lets throw them in jail too.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Can we have criminal neglect for a "Force Majeure"?
I mean, even tho the umpire cleared the field. he is not a "weather expert" nor were the parents that allowed the kids to continue to play catch.
The parents lost a child... lets throw them in jail too.
I think in this case, prosecuting the parents would just be cruel. They've already lost a son, and no jail time in the world will bring him back or change the pain they feel.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post

You mean like all those new and useless agencies such as "The Department of Homeland Security" that have cropped up over the last decade or so???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
You mean like all those new and useless agencies such as "The Department of Homeland Security" that have cropped up over the last decade or so???
Well, since we've dived OT again, given the seizure of private property and the awarding of assets to political allies, is anyone surprised at the relaxing of relations with Cuba? Crimonitly, O has so much in common with Chávez, Mugabe, and Castro that they should form a voting bloc in the UN. After the GM nationalization and the vacating of the bankruptcy laws to favor cronies, no Dem can ever again use the phrase "rule of law" with any integrity. Without property rights, none of the other liberties matter.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Well, since we've dived OT again, given the seizure of private property and the awarding of assets to political allies, is anyone surprised at the relaxing of relations with Cuba? Crimonitly, O has so much in common with Chávez, Mugabe, and Castro that they should form a voting bloc in the UN. After the GM nationalization and the vacating of the bankruptcy laws to favor cronies, no Dem can ever again use the phrase "rule of law" with any integrity. Without property rights, none of the other liberties matter.
What do you expect when this country's founding document had the original language changed from "life, liberty, and the pursuit of property" to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?"

The stage was set early.

Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So you want to blame God because lightning struck in a area where kids shouldn't have been in the first place?

The parents allowed these kids to play where they were at risk of being struck by lightning. God had nothing to do with that. The only reason that it struck in a "child's play area" that day is because children were playing there when lightning struck. The parents didn't take them home when they should have.

If the parents would have taken them home instead of letting them play in a lightning storm then there would be no need to be concerned about where lightning struck.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwsd View Post
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962

So you want to blame God because lightning struck in a area where kids shouldn't have been in the first place?

The parents allowed these kids to play where they were at risk of being struck by lightning. God had nothing to do with that. The only reason that it struck in a "child's play area" that day is because children were playing there when lightning struck. The parents didn't take them home when they should have.

If the parents would have taken them home instead of letting them play in a lightning storm then there would be no need to be concerned about where lightning struck.
maybe if they stayed home and never have left in the first place.... hrmmm.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

It is a legal definition matter as to whether CRIMINAL neglect was committed, but even if this passes the legal definition, I can't imagine any prosecutor actually filing charges.

Clearly, simple neglect was involved (as well as simple foolishness).