The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

back court violation in bounds question

In seven years I've never had a question on this...but now I do.

Team A has possession in the front court. A1 makes an errant pass to A2 and the ball goes into the backcourt. A2 chases it down but doesn't touch it until it is just inside the free throw line (inside the lane). The officials put the ball in play on the sideline, just inside the free throw line (extended). B's coach wanted the ball out of bounds on the baseline, not the sideline.

I've always inbounded the ball on the side after a backcourt violation and after a quick look in the book, I can't find a clear answer.

What do you all say?
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

It's just like any other violation. The violation occurred when the ball was touched by A in the backcourt. Put the ball back in play at the nearest spot to the violation. If the nearest spot is the baseline, then so be it.

BillyMac probably has a myth about the throw-in for a backcourt violation always being at the division line. Right Billy?
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

According to the "rocket ship" diagram, a violation in the lane results in a base line throw-in.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

I agree with all of the previous answers, except note that the proper term is END LINE.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree with all of the previous answers, except note that the proper term is END LINE.
I looked for "END LINE. " in the rule book, and couldn't find it. Of course, I couldn't find base line either.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

1-2: Sidelines, End Lines

Art. 1...The playing court shall be marked with sidelines, end lines and other lines as shown on the appended court diagram........
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref View Post
1-2: Sidelines, End Lines

Art. 1...The playing court shall be marked with sidelines, end lines and other lines as shown on the appended court diagram........
When describing the two lines that run perpendicular to the sidelines and running completely from one sideline to the other sideline approximately 4 feet behind the front of the backboard TO A REFEREE OR WHEN CONVERSING WITH A REFEREE use the term "end line."

When discussing these same two lines with a COACH (or most any other basketball person) using the term "baseline" is more common.

Know your audience and speak accordingly.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I've never had a coach say, "'End line'? What's that?"
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 09:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

"The Rocket Ship Diagram" © 2009, Back In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144 View Post
I've always inbounded the ball on the side after a backcourt violation and after a quick look in the book, I can't find a clear answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
It's just like any other violation. The violation occurred when the ball was touched by A in the backcourt. Put the ball back in play at the nearest spot to the violation. If the nearest spot is the baseline, then so be it. BillyMac probably has a myth about the throw-in for a backcourt violation always being at the division line.
It's not currently on the list, but I'll consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
According to the "rocket ship" diagram, a violation in the lane results in a base line throw-in.
I've never heard it called the "rocket ship" diagram before, but I like it.
"The Rocket Ship Diagram" © 2009, Back In The Saddle
I could have stolen it, but I didn't, so be sure that I get my 10%.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 10:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Designated Throw In Spots ...

sseltser: I've considered it, and have decided to add it to The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list. Congratulations. You are now an official member of the mythbusters. I will soon be sending you your badge, and your secret decoder ring.

How does this sound guys? Any mistakes? Does this cover most designated throwin spots?

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation. After an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, or some correctable errors, play will be resumed at the point of interruption, i.e., a throwin to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred. After an intentional foul, a player control foul, a team control foul, or a common foul before the bonus rule is in effect, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the foul. After a technical foul, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds at the division line opposite the table.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
common foul before the bonus rule is in effect, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the foul.
There is an exception to this for a throw-in from anywhere along the endline.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 10:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Foul, No Bonus ???

Quote:
Thanks for checking, but I'm not sure what you mean? Remember, this statement refers to a common foul before the bonus rule is in effect. A common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant nor intentional nor committed against a player trying or tapping for a field goal nor a part of a double, simultaneous or multiple foul. Example, please.

Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation. After an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, or some correctable errors, play will be resumed at the point of interruption, i.e., a throwin to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred. After an intentional foul, a player control foul, a team control foul, or a common foul before the bonus rule is in effect, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the foul. After a technical foul, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds at the division line opposite the table.
This is not correct: the point of interruption can be a free throw or an AP arrow throw-in, as per 4-36.

Or perhaps you meant 'e.g.' instead of 'i.e.'...
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 11:05am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

.......a common foul before the bonus rule is in effect, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the foul.
Quote:

I assume he means that if team A commits a foul while a try is in the air, if the try is successful, team B's throw-in is from anywhere on the end line.

Lonesome Dove