The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

back court out of bounds violations clarification

according to US HIGHSCHOOL RULES what are the specifics on back court violation....watching an nba game earlier today i am unclear on what is a violation....today i saw A-1 with ball and possession in the front court....as A-2 retreived the ball from A-1 he came from the back court and caught the ball in the front court over the division line.....was this whitled a violation because his established postion came from teh back court into the front court....A-2 clearly caught the ball in mid air between the back court and front court yet at no time possessed the ball in the backcourt with his feet touching the floor....please clarify....

in addition if i save teh ball before my body touches out of bounds....can i be the first to retain the loose ball????? or if im out of bounds can i not be the first to touch the ball....what is the precise ruling for US highschool basketball????
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 07:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

A player's location on the court, when airborne, is determined by the point of departure. If this player jumped from the backcourt and caught the ball in the air, it's a violation at any level.

As for your second question, it is legal to be the first to touch the ball, as long as you established position in bounds before touching the ball. This is done by having something touching in bounds and nothing touching out of bounds (one foot down, for example, in bounds, while the other foot is in the air).

That said, occasionally you will get an official that calls this a violation. If that happens, play on.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlu55 View Post
according to US HIGHSCHOOL RULES what are the specifics on back court violation....watching an nba game earlier today i am unclear on what is a violation
NBA rules are VASTLY different from NFHS rules, so you shouldn't expect to get any insight into one code by watching games played under a different code.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 12:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

As to a player's position on the court under NF (that means high school in the U.S.) rules, just remember this: You are where you were 'till you get where you're going. IOW, your position is determined by where you were last in contact with the court.