The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wasn't aware that you did high school ball.
Maybe he's referring to driveway ball?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 06:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Maybe he's referring to driveway ball?
Funny, but no. IIRC, he does NCAA and is working at trying to make the NBA. His knowledge of high school rules is limited to how they're similar to the NBA.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 08:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Trent Tucker Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Trent Tucker with the Knicks against the Bulls.
The Trent Tucker Rule is an NBA rule that disallows any regular shot to be taken on the court if the ball is put into play with less than three-tenths of a second left on the game clock. The rule was passed after the 1989-90 season and named after New York Knicks player Trent Tucker.

The Official Rules of the National Basketball Association state
"NO LESS THAN :00.3 must expire on the game clock when a player secures possession of an inbounds pass and then attempts a field goal. If less than :00.3 expires in such a situation, the timer will be instructed to deduct AT LEAST :00.3 from the game clock. If less than :00.3 remain on the game clock when this situation occurs, the period is over, and the field goal attempt will be disallowed immediately whether successful or unsuccessful."

The rule was born out of a game between the Knicks and the Chicago Bulls on January 15, 1990 at Madison Square Garden. The game was tied at 106 with one-tenth of a second left in regulation and the Knicks in possession. During a time-out called by the Knicks, both teams prepared for what was seen as the only possible way the Knicks could win in regulation; an alley oop tap-in from out of bounds by Patrick Ewing.

When play resumed, the Knicks player throwing the ball in, Mark Jackson, saw the alley-oop play get broken up. He proceeded to throw the ball inbounds to Tucker, who was the only player open. Tucker then turned around and hit a three point jump shot before the buzzer, giving the Knicks the win, 109-106.

The Bulls later filed an official protest with the NBA about the play. However, timekeeper Bob Billings and referee Ronnie Nunn, who were working that game, claimed everything went perfectly fine. The protest was disallowed.

However, vice-president of operations Rod Thorn was the only NBA executive to side with the Bulls. (Incidentally, Thorn was once the general manager of the Bulls.) He pointed out that tests in European basketball leagues, which had used the tenths-of-a-second clock long before the NBA (they were in their first year of its use at the time), proved that it takes at least three-tenths of a second for an inbounds pass to touch a player and release it for a shot.

This became the backbone for the time requirements of the new rule. Teams with the possession of the ball with less than 00.3 left also have the option of trying a hail-mary shot like the one that the Knicks were going to try before Tucker's shot, or to simply let the clock run to zero.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Not sure where you are coming from. The rule and references were taken from the NFHS 2009-10 rules and case book.
I'm sorry, I'm sorry I didn't realize the thread took a turn to the NFHS. I apologize.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
I'm sorry, I'm sorry I didn't realize the thread took a turn to the NFHS. I apologize.
We all know you are a creditable source for information and therefore couldn't figure out why you thought the .3 rule was old. The thread turned when bbcof83 asked for NFHS guidelines.

No apologies necessary.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Its spelled out in the rule book. 5-2-5 "When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score. Note: this rule does not apply if the clock does not display tenths of a second."

You can also check out specific plays in the case book. 5.2.3 situations A,B,& C.
Thanks ranjo, I had this little birdy in my ear telling me "less than .4 needs to be a tip" but couldn't remember if it was an actual rule or just a guideline. Appreciate the citations.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 09:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Trent Tucker, Ralph Sampson, Patrick Ewing, Lew Alcinder, George Mikan ...

We all know the background behind the The Trent Tucker 0.3 Seconds Rule. I'm sure that a lot of veterans know the background behind the Ralph Sampson Backboard Rule, and the Patrick Ewing T-Shirt Rule. Some of us might remember the short lived Lew Alcinder No Dunk Rule. Real old timers know the background behind the George Mikan Goaltending Rule, and the George Mikan Wide Lane Rule.

Were shots taken from behind the backboard allowed before Larry Bird nailed a few of them, including one right here in Connecticut?

Are there any other rules that can be associated with one player?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Are there any other rules that can be associated with one player?
The Wilt Chamberlain Headboard rule?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
The Wilt Chamberlain Headboard rule?
Don't you mean backbo....

Ooooh, I see.

Never mind.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 07:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Patrick Ewing: Two, Two, Two Rules In One ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The Patrick Ewing T-Shirt Rule.
How about the Patrick Ewing Interfering With The Ball After A Basket Rule. Didn't this happen in an NCAA tournament game?