The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I don't see why I should dodge the ball or just let it hit me. I do not need to touch the ball after a made basket, but the rules do not prohibit me touching it. The player gains no advantage by tossing me the ball, he may even lose a fast break opportunity. Nobody is going to get surprised because the official unwittingly participated in a "trick play".

I'm there to facilitate the game. So if a kid has a brain fart and tosses me the ball after a made basket, I just toss it back to him and we go on. If it happens again, I'd probably talk to the kid at a break. But why would I make any kind of issue of it?
Great advice, especially at that level.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

I ref this age and I simply toss it back saying I don't need to handle it after a basket.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Great advice, especially at that level.
Just to be clear, this is my philosophy at any level I work. I had this happen in a college women's game recently (I'm sure it was their first game of the season) and just tossed it back to the lady.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Years ago, I was watching the end of a game, waiting for my shift to start. I saw one of the officials jump out of the way of the ball in this situation. After the game, I asked him why he did it. He said it was just a reflex, the same as he does if the ball comes towards him on the court. He just couldn't help reacting that way.

Sounded logical to me.
I like this answer.

it isn't the way I react, probably because my reflexes won't allow me, but "it is what is is." Whether we (they) like it or not, we are part of the game. Sometimes our actions are genius and sometimes our actions are . . . something else. But this sitch is not a big deal on anyones chart and whatever works, works. Not to mention there aren't any rules prohibiting it.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see why I should dodge the ball or just let it hit me. I do not need to touch the ball after a made basket, but the rules do not prohibit me touching it. The player gains no advantage by tossing me the ball, he may even lose a fast break opportunity. Nobody is going to get surprised because the official unwittingly participated in a "trick play".

I'm there to facilitate the game. So if a kid has a brain fart and tosses me the ball after a made basket, I just toss it back to him and we go on. If it happens again, I'd probably talk to the kid at a break. But why would I make any kind of issue of it?
Strongly agree, especially at this level 5th-6th. In some cases in my area a kid's fifth grade year may be their first year of organized basketball. Mark's partner sounds a little to over zealous for this level of play. Glad he tossed the coach.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree about tossing the coach.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
What is the rational for not tapping it back to the thrower in say a varsity game?
I don't mean to pick on you, but you have the unfortunate honor of being the 1000th poster I have seen make this error. That entitles you to a correction free of charge.

rational = an adjective meaning reasonable, warranted, or justified

rationale = a noun meaning a purpose, a justification, or an objective

[/offhighhorse]
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I don't mean to pick on you, but you have the unfortunate honor of being the 1000th poster I have seen make this error. That entitles you to a correction free of charge.

rational = an adjective meaning reasonable, warranted, or justified

rationale = a noun meaning a purpose, a justification, or an objective

[/offhighhorse]
I’m honored.
Stinkin’ spell checker is supposed print what I mean, not what I typed.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
mbyron - I've told you a thousand times not to exagerate!
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, this is my philosophy at any level I work. I had this happen in a college women's game recently (I'm sure it was their first game of the season) and just tossed it back to the lady.
I agree 100%.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Wow Mark this is like Déjà vu! I had a player in the men's league on Sunday attempt to throw the ball to me after a made basket. Granted there are no coaches to be tossed but he had a coronary as to why I didn't go chase after the ball as it whizzed by me. Ok, maybe it's not déjà vu.

If I can knock the ball down without losing sight of what I should be looking at (ie the players), I make an attempt. There are, in fact, only a few times where I can say that the ball got passed me. Well Sunday, the guy threw the ball well behind me after a made free throw. I attempted to take a swipe at it and barely touched the ball. The ball proceeded to go into the corner of the gym. I calmly started my count. Granted, I could have violated him (5 seconds easily passed) but I chose to let him get the ball in (as it didn't effect the game). I told him as we went up the court that he doesn't need to throw the ball to me on a made basket. He proceeded to whine that I could have threw it back. I replied that "if I run after the ball, who is watching the players?" The light bulb clicked and didn't hear another word about it.

-Josh
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Must...resist...
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if a kid has a brain fart and tosses me the ball after a made basket, I just toss it back to him and we go on. If it happens again, I'd probably talk to the kid at a break. But why would I make any kind of issue of it?
Agreed
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 12:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Quote:
Must...resist...
It's like waving a donut in front of Homer Simpson, isn't it?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's like waving a donut in front of Homer Simpson, isn't it?
Or waving a dirty spoon in front of Monk.