The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA mechanics change

Looking at newest mens crew of three manual...one change that caught my attention because no one mentioned it at the jamboree I worked last week.

When Lead calls a foul in the frontcourt, with the ball going the other way (no shots) the lead will become the new C and C will become new T.

No more V-backs.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 08:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
No more V-backs.
Darn. I kind of liked this one.

Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

No one mentioned it because no one is going to be doing it! I've talked with a number of top level officials and their reaction was "that's stupid and I'm not doing it in my game".

It will just cause more confusion then it will actually help.

Of course you should be aware that your partner might switch with you in these situations and be ready for it. Great item to add to the pregame this year.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
No one mentioned it because no one is going to be doing it! I've talked with a number of top level officials and their reaction was "that's stupid and I'm not doing it in my game".

Of course you should be aware that your partner might switch with you in these situations and be ready for it. Great item to add to the pregame this year.
Well, your "no one" isn't correct because I worked a scrimmage yesterday with "top level officials" and we worked on it. It took some getting used to but it wasn't painful. It will only cause "confusion" if you don't work on it.

John Adams was specific at the D1 clinic about mechanics and if the guys you talked to refrain from doing proper mechanics, then don't expect them to move on the further rounds of the NCAA tournament.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Looking at newest mens crew of three manual...one change that caught my attention because no one mentioned it at the jamboree I worked last week.

When Lead calls a foul in the frontcourt, with the ball going the other way (no shots) the lead will become the new C and C will become new T.

No more V-backs.
This must be on the mens side of things........
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looking at newest mens crew of three manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
This must be on the mens side of things........
That seems obvious.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I guess that the "no one's" you are referring to don't have any interest in working the post season. The NCAA is making it clear what is required of its officials.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Well, post season isn't much of an issue for me. But I worked on it with several different crews over the weekend. It wasn't too hard to do. It was a pain having to explain it every time.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just got an email from my assignor and read it on the NCAA Arbiter site from John Adams:

"There are some updated mechanics now posted on the web site that deal with two issues. The first deals with the calling official, on all fouls, ALWAYS going opposite the table and the second deals with a mechanic to be used when calling a blocking foul on a secondary defender, "under the basket". This new mechanic will be very beneficial in identifying this automatic "under the basket" blocking foul by a secondary defender, to the media, coaches, players, fans and your officiating partners."

If the L calls a team/player control in the front court, they will either go C or new L opposite the table; no pushing. If you call a team/player foul L opposite table, you report, go the length of the floor, and become the new L opposite table.

If you call a call a blocking foul for a defender being under the basket, you give a preliminary signal of "blocking" and then point to the floor in the vicinity underneath the basket.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Block then point is one variation. The other is fist, point, block.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that's their attitude, they won't be top officials under John Adams. Around here, all the men's college officials (including junior college) are using the new mechanic (although we have screwed it up a couple times). :-)
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 08:38am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Block then point is one variation. The other is fist, point, block.
I've been seeing this more often than not in the JUCO games I've observed so far this season.