The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Did MLB change mechanics?

Yankees v Red Sox, top 8th with two outs, R2/R3. With a four umpire crew U2 would typically be in deep B. Tonight in C BEHIND F6, two steps or so onto the outfield grass (Infield was not in).

This was the old American League mechanic, changed many years back. Neither my MLBUM or PBUC Blue Book have this as a current mechanic. Anyone have an update I may have missed?
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
We used this mechanic in the playoffs in the pro league I work in. It is only with R2 or R2 and R3 with 2 outs. U2 still has pick off responsibility at 2nd.
It was covered in our discussion with our Supervisor. This was a crew mechanic in the past, but was not optional this year.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Neither my MLBUM or PBUC Blue Book have this as a current mechanic. Anyone have an update I may have missed?

This is solely based on my travels, observations and discussions with numerous first and second year MiLB umpires and a couple AA and AAA umpires throughout this season:

Although we hear the terms "PBUC says" and "ML says" and "According to (fill in the blank)", these entities don't really "say" much of anything when it comes to mechanics outside of their published guides; and, for the most part, they really don't say much to the public at all.

I have seen many different mechanics this year at the pro level that are not the published "official" mechanic. I've even seen some mechanics change from game to game.

What seems to be happening at the MiLB level is that when an evaluator comes to town, he will often say "Try it this way." This "change" can be based on his personal experience, something he has seen someone do or a discussion among evaluators after an issue of some kind has come up. It can even be based on the physical attributes of the umpire.

It is rarely a case of PBUC offically putting out the word that they are officially changing something. The evaluators try to help individuals find the way something works best for them, within, of course, professional standards. The desired results of any change, however, continues to include providing the crew with the best opportunity, within the limitations of their numbers (two man, three man), to get the call right.

Mechanics are dynamic at the pro level. Tinkering is constant and, surprising to me, umpires are encouraged, to a point, to instill some of their personality into their calls and mechanics.

In your situation, most likely U2 or the crew chief decided to try something. They may or may not keep it.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Sep 16, 2007 at 10:45pm.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 11:46pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
What seems to be happening at the MiLB level is that when an evaluator comes to town, he will often say "Try it this way." This "change" can be based on his personal experience, something he has seen someone do or a discussion among evaluators after an issue of some kind has come up. It can even be based on the physical attributes of the umpire.
Such as height (only PU perhaps) or what else, dare I say it?

Weight? So PBUC is willing to address overfat as an issue. Welcome to reality.

Quote:
It is rarely a case of PBUC offically putting out the word that they are officially changing something.

Plausible deniability, a Nixon-Watergate thing?

Quote:
The evaluators try to help individuals find the way something works best for them, within, of course, professional standards. The desired results of any change, however, continues to include providing the crew with the best opportunity, within the limitations of their numbers (two man, three man), to get the call right.

Mechanics are dynamic at the pro level. Tinkering is constant and, surprising to me, umpires are encouraged, to a point, to instill some of their personality into their calls and mechanics.
Professionals have personality, tinker and constantly adjust. Robots don't.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 11:04am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Such as height (only PU perhaps) or what else, dare I say it?

Weight? So PBUC is willing to address overfat as an issue. Welcome to reality.
You seem very preoccupied with weight issues.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
You seem very preoccupied with weight issues.
Wow. I hadn't seen that remark.

Nothing in my post was intended to as a comment on weight. I never heard a comment about that from umpires or PBUC evaluators this summer. Not only is he preoccupied with weight...he picked that one out of "thin" air.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is that it's a veiled slight of either SDS and / or BigUmp. (If it's not, I apologize, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt). This one was so veiled that I let it go.
Closed Thread