The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The walk to the table could be just a sign of calmness and in control. Using his calmness to settle those around him.
One of my thoughts: His walk to the table most likely included several thoughts. First being, the timing issue. The C ran in in and had something to offer. As pointed out by Indianaref and someone else , the time was an issue and possibly the horn sounded after the call, idk. In addition, the offending player had 5 fouls. As all tables seem to do, the signals were coming and the L was trying to get his reporting correct while being given info for which he wasn't yet ready. I think he was pretty sure that he was gong to have to address the table.

I am also thinkning the C was the R. If not, he sure involved himself in a lot of "stuff" that couold have been handled without him.

All things being said, and 2 days of picking it apart, these officials got the calls right and looked right (to the general public) doing it. After all, it was a State Final and a crazy finish. I get nervous doing a big Conference game.

One more thought, the C, if he was the R, may have made the incorrect switch so he could stay close to the table (knowing all the issues and being the one with definite knowledge of time remaining) so he could easily help at the table (as he does) when needed. Not that the FED gives us that option.

My point: they got it right and we officials were able to learn a few things from the process. Great post tomegun!

Last edited by Scratch85; Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 06:06pm.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 07:15pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I went back and reviewed this, this looks really bad. Two other observations:
1) Reporting official is walking in his foul signals. In Indiana, they definitely want you to come to a complete stop.
2) The old T opposite should have become the new C opposite.
Las Vegas gives an official some wiggle room for mechanics as long as the mechanics are consistent and clearly understood. I've had discussions with the instructional chair about this because of two hand reporting, walking and talking, etc. After some input, he came to the conclusion that he doesn't care as long as the official does the same thing the whole game. For instance, it I'm using two hands to report at the beginning of the game, I need to do it the whole game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
That jumped out at me also. I can imagine grabbing a girls shoulder and shoving her away.
I'm going to ask her about this when I see her. I don't think it looks too good either. I'm pretty sure she knows both coaches well. That isn't an excuse though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Reviewing again, and I don't see any state patches at all unless I missed them.

Lead calls foul, fails to indicate what it was( we learn later a block) nor does indicate spot. Also fails to wave off basket initially. Could have trail made a call off camera? Hard to tell, although she doesn't come in to sell call if one was made, just points to I'm guessing the defender

The nonchalant walk to the table by lead I feel is a product of deer in headlights malaise. He looks dazed and confused.

Also catch where lead stands for first shot.
We don't have to wear patches here, thank God. Patches are horrible to me.
Someone else pointed this out, but he did waive off the basket. I guess you are wanting a block signal at the spot. That is something every state isn't required to do. If it was a block/charge situation I agree a signal might be in order, but in this case I don't think it is necessary.

The L was standing in the position where women's college officials (I believe) and NBA officials stand for the first shot. The L does do some small college ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
One of my thoughts: His walk to the table most likely included several thoughts. First being, the timing issue. The C ran in in and had something to offer. As pointed out by Indianaref and someone else , the time was an issue and possibly the horn sounded after the call, idk. In addition, the offending player had 5 fouls. As all tables seem to do, the signals were coming and the L was trying to get his reporting correct while being given info for which he wasn't yet ready. I think he was pretty sure that he was gong to have to address the table.

I am also thinkning the C was the R. If not, he sure involved himself in a lot of "stuff" that couold have been handled without him.

All things being said, and 2 days of picking it apart, these officials got the calls right and looked right (to the general public) doing it. After all, it was a State Final and a crazy finish. I get nervous doing a big Conference game.

One more thought, the C, if he was the R, may have made the incorrect switch so he could stay close to the table (knowing all the issues and being the one with definite knowledge of time remaining) so he could easily help at the table (as he does) when needed. Not that the FED gives us that option.

My point: they got it right and we officials were able to learn a few things from the process. Great post tomegun!
If you look at the action when the clock was running it is obvious both the L and C are ball watching. Now, some schools of thought advocate that at this point in the game, but I would suggest they both work on their methods of getting angles on plays. Getting in the way is not something you want to do regularly.

BTW, our instructional chair, along with two other guys from Vegas are doing the Lakers' pre-season game tonight.

Last edited by tomegun; Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 07:21pm.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Holy 2009 Batman...
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

As Vintage Wine ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
Holy 2009 Batman.
It was a very good year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)