The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Could it be that the T came in and had the extended discussion because she thought it was a PC foul on the shooter?? I don't have sound on my computer at work, so I can't tell if it was a double whistle or not, but I can see that as a possibility here.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
They get paid to win games, for their players to show good sportsmanship on the court, and for their players to graduate, and possibly move on to the next level. It used to bother me, now I realize that there are much more important things about being a good coach than about being a "fashion model". Just my evolving opinion.
Being a fashion model isn't important, but not looking like a bum is. I assume that coach is a teacher at the school. As a teacher he is paid to teach, enforce rules....and a bunch of other stuff. I would guess that unless that guy teaches gym then he is not allowed to wear a sweat suit while teaching. There are much more important things about being a good teacher than about being a fashion model but what the teacher wears is still important. Why is that changed for coaching a game?
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Could it be that the T came in and had the extended discussion because she thought it was a PC foul on the shooter?? I don't have sound on my computer at work, so I can't tell if it was a double whistle or not, but I can see that as a possibility here.
Chalk it up to having too much time on my hands. I went back and had a closer look at when the camera panned to the scoreboard. You can briefly, but clearly see that the scoreboard shows 5 seconds on the clock, then it changes to .5 seconds. My money is on the discussion being about the proper time on the clock. That would account for the C coming across to talk. That would also account for the L going all the way to the table, and for the Gorman coach's interest.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 01:22pm.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Chalk it up to having too much time on my hands. I went back and had a closer look at when the camera panned to the scoreboard. You can briefly, but clearly see that the scoreboard shows 5 seconds on the clock, then it changes to .5 seconds. My money is on the discussion being about the proper time on the clock. That would account for the C coming across to talk. That would also account for the L going all the way to the table, and for the Gorman coach's interest.
Good catch on the time issue. I hadn't noticed that and it does explain a lot of the conferencing.

LDUB, I think that guy is a gal
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I have to ask, why do you say step down at the C? Without looking at the play, I'm not sure if that is the correct way to get an open look; actually stepping up will help many times when the ball is headed toward the hoop. I know one school of thought is to step down all the time, but that will keep a "stacked" point of view many times.
When I say "step down", I'm really meaning do something besides come running into the play like he did. He could have stepped down, stepped up, or just stayed where he was to being with. He wasn't needed over there.

In all honesty, this crew looked like they were in over their heads. The more I watch it the worse it looks.

As for the attire thing. I just think it makes a coach look more professional and I think they command more respect when they dress the part. Sweats make them look like they're in a summer league or at practice.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Good catch on the time issue.
Thanks. See post #12
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

According to the scoreboard both teams are in the bonus.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
According to the scoreboard both teams are in the bonus.
That's why the T was ID the shooter.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

On another side note, how many of you have ever or would force your way into the team huddle and herd the team back onto the floor as the new L did before administering the free throws?
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post
On another side note, how many of you have ever or would force your way into the team huddle and herd the team back onto the floor as the new L did before administering the free throws?
I noticed that too. I think the female official in this crew was the strongest but this is one thing she needs to stop doing immediately. I understand she was probably saying "It's not a timeout, let's get on the floor" but you can't be forcing your way in and pushing players. A step near the huddle and some firm words will do the trick.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That jumped out at me also. I can imagine grabbing a girls shoulder and shoving her away.

They may have all known what they were doing but sure looked sloppy, not to mention it being a championship game.

Nevada, is the the best of best out West
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I went back and reviewed this, this looks really bad. Two other observations:
1) Reporting official is walking in his foul signals. In Indiana, they definitely want you to come to a complete stop.
2) The old T opposite should have become the new C opposite.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post

2) The old T opposite should have become the new C opposite.
Good catch. See post #14
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Reviewing again, and I don't see any state patches at all unless I missed them.

Lead calls foul, fails to indicate what it was( we learn later a block) nor does indicate spot. Also fails to wave off basket initially. Could have trail made a call off camera? Hard to tell, although she doesn't come in to sell call if one was made, just points to I'm guessing the defender

The nonchalant walk to the table by lead I feel is a product of deer in headlights malaise. He looks dazed and confused.

Also catch where lead stands for first shot.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Oct 23, 2009 at 04:34pm.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Reviewing again, and I don't see any state patches at all unless I missed them.

Lead calls foul, fails to indicate what it was( we learn later a block) nor does indicate spot. Also fails to wave off basket initially. Could have trail made a call off camera? Hard to tell, although she doesn't come in to sell call if one was made, just points to I'm guessing the defender

The nonchalant walk to the table by lead I feel is a product of deer in headlights malaise. He looks dazed and confused.

Also catch where lead stands for first shot.
Wow...being a bit picky...

Not all states use patches. Perhaps that is the case in this video. I wish they'd eliminate them here.

He did waive it off, right after he blew the whistle....one armed...but still a waive off.

Trail came in and identified the shooter...as in "I've got your shooter".

The walk to the table could be just a sign of calmness and in control. Using his calmness to settle those around him.