The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
The one thing I don't like about this new mechanic is the late subs during the second free throw. Being opposite, I can better observe this.
I agree. The L can really help here.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I agree. The L can really help here.
I guess so. However, the L will have to look through a lot of players. I wish the Fed had made this an option.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I've had no problem with the change. I've found myself working T more like a three person game, however. On the first shot I'm back near the center line, to better handle bringing in subs. Then I move down on the final shot.
You are at the division line on the first free throw attempt. Does this mean free-throw shooters never violate on the first attempt? Whether you like the change or not go to the correct place for all attempts. Violations can occur during any shot, and you at the division line missing a violation in a tied game with 3 seconds remaining could be a big deal. Just some food for thought.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

How many of you are biting your tongues on the word 'switch'?
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The one thing I don't like about this new mechanic is the late subs during the second free throw. Being opposite, I can better observe this.
Amen. We did a couple summer league games with this mechanic. It was wierd having subs sneak up behind you, since you really need to be scooted down a bit to watch the freethrow, you cant just sit there at the table. It will take getting used to. Not my favorite.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

haha

This is great! (wink, wink) You know to communicate with the coaches better. I am sure they just want to thank us for the call.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do you handle this in three-man?
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

CO is new trail....

The part of the change that I find troublesome is when the officials switch sometimes, but not others (shooting and non-shooting);

If Trail calls foul, reports - and is informed that Team A is not yet in bonus. The officials Switch. As the new trail is about administer the thrown in, the horn sounds, Team A is in the bonus. Do the officials switch back????
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
The part of the change that I find troublesome is when the officials switch sometimes, but not others (shooting and non-shooting);

If Trail calls foul, reports - and is informed that Team A is not yet in bonus. The officials Switch. As the new trail is about administer the thrown in, the horn sounds, Team A is in the bonus. Do the officials switch back????
Now you are just causing trouble...
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 03:00pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
I guess so. However, the L will have to look through a lot of players. I wish the Fed had made this an option.
For a great view from Lead administering the throw, bring the ball into the lane, a step in front of the basket; before bouncing the ball to the shooter, glance at you partner and at the table.
Being in the lane may also help you communicate with all the players in all the lane spaces.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post

No. Fix it and stay put.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
How do you handle this in three-man?
The trail's position is different for 2 person. The trail (two Person) should "be positioned just behind the free throw line extended and halfway between the nearer free throw lane line extended and the sideline".
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The trail's position is different for 2 person. The trail (two Person) should "be positioned just behind the free throw line extended and halfway between the nearer free throw lane line extended and the sideline".
Did anyone notice that the location for the C on 3-whistle and the T for 2-whistle are now written the same according to this year's Officials Manual? The diagrams always showed them approximately the same but previously the C (3-W) was to be just below the top of the key and the T (2-W) was to be just above the FT line extended. Weird.

My personal experience is that you need to be about the top of the key to see the two lane spaces on the far side or nearer the shooter. The old manual was written prior to moving the players up one position on the lane so I assumed there would be a change in the manual, it just wasn't the one that I was expecting.

Last edited by Scratch85; Fri Oct 16, 2009 at 03:58pm.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. But, at T in 3-man, you look over your shoulder just before the lead administers the ball to check for subs. Why can’t you do the same thing in the new 2-man mechanic as T? It’s actually not as big of a head turn in 2-man.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not trying to be contrary, but I've never had a problem with seeing the subs as L, even now that the players have moved up the lane. I'm in the lane a step or two up from the baseline. I've got a "open look" at the table through the gap between the shooter and the top defender on that side of the lane. I always make a quick check that everything is in order (proper spaces filled, feet not on the line, off-lane players outside 3PL, etc.) before putting the ball in play. Glancing at the table one last time is just part of my checks.