The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating: NBA Style!

In case anyone's wondering, I'm not talking about NBA officiating itself.

Last weekend, I got a call from a guy to help out with an adult league that was running at his gym. I was familiar with both the league (I played in it), the gym (I reffed and coached in it) and the guy (fellow referee) so I told him I would help out.

However, there was some major differences that this adult league had versus others. This league used NBA rules for the game. This included 8-second backcourt counts, 24 second shot clock, no backcourt until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, etc, etc.

Without getting into all the details, the hardest part was not having the 5-second count on the perimeter (so used to counting on everything). In fact, I forgot about the 5-second "back to the basket" count.

If anyone's curious what else I went though, feel free to read my blog below. However, I was curious if anyone's worked any games under NBA or NBA-styled rules?
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I just got into working the Pro-Am stuff this year. I was actually very surprised at how easily the rules differences were to me. I was lucky enough to have outstanding partners who helped me alot, but I found them coming to me on rules interpretations many times. It actually was easier going into pro rules than it was for me going to NCAA rules from NFHS. We all just have our different niches. But, it is definitely a challenge and something you have to work on.

"control what you can control" -rules knowledge is one of the things you can control...I refuse to look stupid because I didn't know my rules
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
In case anyone's wondering, I'm not talking about NBA officiating itself.

Last weekend, I got a call from a guy to help out with an adult league that was running at his gym. I was familiar with both the league (I played in it), the gym (I reffed and coached in it) and the guy (fellow referee) so I told him I would help out.

However, there was some major differences that this adult league had versus others. This league used NBA rules for the game. This included 8-second backcourt counts, 24 second shot clock, no backcourt until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, etc, etc.

Without getting into all the details, the hardest part was not having the 5-second count on the perimeter (so used to counting on everything). In fact, I forgot about the 5-second "back to the basket" count.

If anyone's curious what else I went though, feel free to read my blog below. However, I was curious if anyone's worked any games under NBA or NBA-styled rules?
I have reffed some games with pro rules. If you ever have any questions just pm me. That sounds like a great thing they are doing in your area with that men's league!

Plus i think your blog is pretty awesome. I wish i would have started doing something like that years ago!
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the comments guys. The NBA style rules for the adult league are definitely interesting. I understand the concept of the league. In my opinion, the league is trying to "simulate the NBA experience" for people who can't make it to the pros. At the higher levels, lots of the guys are former local high school players and maybe JC/small college players. The lower levels are for the everyday guys who may not have played high school but want to play organized hoops.

The games I worked had fairly young guys so it was not your typical adult league. The young guys wanted to run a lot and there was a lot of banging. I don't know how often I've been working the league, but hopefully I squeeze in a few games here and there.

I don't have any particular questions about officiating under the rules because I have a good understanding of them. However, if anyone feels like sharing any challenges they had, please feel free to do so.

As far as my blog goes, the "Behind the Whistle" title came from something I wrote for a league I was playing in. I really liked the title so I decided to grab the domain and write a blog since I am unemployed right now. I got laid off several months ago and have not been able to land a job. I'm running Google ads to try to earn side money through them.

I've had some positive comments from other officials (from my group) that have read the blog, so I'm glad others also enjoy reading it as well. I find it fun to write and just sharing my experiences. It's definitely a niche blog but I don't see many people doing it.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 09:38am
Ch1town

Quote:
However, if anyone feels like sharing any challenges they had, please feel free to do so.
My first year using pro rules, I had the toughest time recognizing defensive 3 seconds & getting the switches down.

My biggest challenges today are learning to do the opposite of everything I've been taught:

HS - Jog around players to report the foul
Pro - Walk right down the lane to report the foul

HS - Visible b/c counts
Pro - Use 16 sec on the shot clock as a reference

HS - Run/jog everywhere you could walk to
Pro - "Move with a purpose... I know what you're trying to show us, but we don't run in the league" - Clinician

Now that the summer is over & I don't have any more opportunities to use pro mechanics, the things I'm having trouble reverting back to are:

- Stop clock signal on OOB
- Hand up prior to chopping in time
- No loose ball foul mechanic
- Using closely guarded
- 1 hand reporting / no walkie talkie
- Using a lanyard

All in all, I love using the pro rule set, floor mechanics & their signals are awesome!!
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

ch1town,

Thanks for the thoughts. The adult league I work uses only two officials so we had no switches to speak of. We just use standard two man high school mechanics.

Also, we didn't use the 3 seconds defense in the key rule nor the "no charge line" in the key. Most of the gyms used in the adult league are high school or grammar school gymnasiums so those lines aren't there.

It's definitely pretty funky to work this league. I might be working more in a couple of weeks so we'll see what other issues I run into.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 09:45am
Huck Finn

Since you are using pro rules, why not use pro mechanics? Are you familiar with pro two-man mechanics? I have worked much more using three-man, but I believe pro two-man mechanics are to officiate to the left of the ball.

I'm a firm believer in experiencing many different rule sets and mechanics. I think doing this forces an official to have a greater understanding of what needs to be watched. For instance, in a two-man game, when the L comes across the paint to watch post play where do most officials look at the T? Is the positioning the same/similar at the T as it would be in a three-man game? The answers (my answers): off ball/backside and no.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Tomegun,

I'm not familiar at all with the pro-style two man mechanics. I know I've looked up the NBA rules on NBA.com, perhaps I'll go look up to see if the mechanics are published anywhere (if you know any sites, let me know).

Honestly, I think while the league uses NBA rules, the guys working it look at it as a way to earn money versus learning to work different mechanics.

I do get your point though. College and high school mechanics are more similar than NBA mechanics. However, at the end of the day, it's just a matter of learning it and making it a part of your "muscle memory".
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tomegun,

I'm not familiar at all with the pro-style two man mechanics. I know I've looked up the NBA rules on NBA.com, perhaps I'll go look up to see if the mechanics are published anywhere (if you know any sites, let me know).

Honestly, I think while the league uses NBA rules, the guys working it look at it as a way to earn money versus learning to work different mechanics.

I do get your point though. College and high school mechanics are more similar than NBA mechanics. However, at the end of the day, it's just a matter of learning it and making it a part of your "muscle memory".
Just want it to be known that the rules on the NBA site are outdated by about 3 or 4 years. Plenty of rule changes have been made since then.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Just want it to be known that the rules on the NBA site are outdated by about 3 or 4 years. Plenty of rule changes have been made since then.
Can't they afford a website manager person?
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not yet - they need to cut the officials' salaries first.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nah...they just don't actually use them that often, so what's the point?

I keed....I keed....
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Not yet - they need to cut the officials' salaries first.
Saw that one comin' right down the highway...
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
http://www.nba.com/media/2008-09-NBARuleBook.pdf

Are you sure? Seems like this copy contains all the rule changes from the 2008-2009 season. What exactly is missing in this copy?
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
http://www.nba.com/media/2008-09-NBARuleBook.pdf

Are you sure? Seems like this copy contains all the rule changes from the 2008-2009 season. What exactly is missing in this copy?
hmmm.. no your right that one is good. I wasn't talking about the media one but then again i hadnt found that one yet.