The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 107
Officiating: NBA Style!

In case anyone's wondering, I'm not talking about NBA officiating itself.

Last weekend, I got a call from a guy to help out with an adult league that was running at his gym. I was familiar with both the league (I played in it), the gym (I reffed and coached in it) and the guy (fellow referee) so I told him I would help out.

However, there was some major differences that this adult league had versus others. This league used NBA rules for the game. This included 8-second backcourt counts, 24 second shot clock, no backcourt until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, etc, etc.

Without getting into all the details, the hardest part was not having the 5-second count on the perimeter (so used to counting on everything). In fact, I forgot about the 5-second "back to the basket" count.

If anyone's curious what else I went though, feel free to read my blog below. However, I was curious if anyone's worked any games under NBA or NBA-styled rules?
__________________
Visit My Officiating Blog: http://www.behindthewhistle.com
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 09:37pm
CLH CLH is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 293
Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I just got into working the Pro-Am stuff this year. I was actually very surprised at how easily the rules differences were to me. I was lucky enough to have outstanding partners who helped me alot, but I found them coming to me on rules interpretations many times. It actually was easier going into pro rules than it was for me going to NCAA rules from NFHS. We all just have our different niches. But, it is definitely a challenge and something you have to work on.

"control what you can control" -rules knowledge is one of the things you can control...I refuse to look stupid because I didn't know my rules
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
In case anyone's wondering, I'm not talking about NBA officiating itself.

Last weekend, I got a call from a guy to help out with an adult league that was running at his gym. I was familiar with both the league (I played in it), the gym (I reffed and coached in it) and the guy (fellow referee) so I told him I would help out.

However, there was some major differences that this adult league had versus others. This league used NBA rules for the game. This included 8-second backcourt counts, 24 second shot clock, no backcourt until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, etc, etc.

Without getting into all the details, the hardest part was not having the 5-second count on the perimeter (so used to counting on everything). In fact, I forgot about the 5-second "back to the basket" count.

If anyone's curious what else I went though, feel free to read my blog below. However, I was curious if anyone's worked any games under NBA or NBA-styled rules?
I have reffed some games with pro rules. If you ever have any questions just pm me. That sounds like a great thing they are doing in your area with that men's league!

Plus i think your blog is pretty awesome. I wish i would have started doing something like that years ago!
__________________
"players must decide the outcome of the game with legal actions, not illegal actions which an official chooses to ignore."
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 12:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 107
Thanks for the comments guys. The NBA style rules for the adult league are definitely interesting. I understand the concept of the league. In my opinion, the league is trying to "simulate the NBA experience" for people who can't make it to the pros. At the higher levels, lots of the guys are former local high school players and maybe JC/small college players. The lower levels are for the everyday guys who may not have played high school but want to play organized hoops.

The games I worked had fairly young guys so it was not your typical adult league. The young guys wanted to run a lot and there was a lot of banging. I don't know how often I've been working the league, but hopefully I squeeze in a few games here and there.

I don't have any particular questions about officiating under the rules because I have a good understanding of them. However, if anyone feels like sharing any challenges they had, please feel free to do so.

As far as my blog goes, the "Behind the Whistle" title came from something I wrote for a league I was playing in. I really liked the title so I decided to grab the domain and write a blog since I am unemployed right now. I got laid off several months ago and have not been able to land a job. I'm running Google ads to try to earn side money through them.

I've had some positive comments from other officials (from my group) that have read the blog, so I'm glad others also enjoy reading it as well. I find it fun to write and just sharing my experiences. It's definitely a niche blog but I don't see many people doing it.
__________________
Visit My Officiating Blog: http://www.behindthewhistle.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 09:38am
Ch1town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
However, if anyone feels like sharing any challenges they had, please feel free to do so.
My first year using pro rules, I had the toughest time recognizing defensive 3 seconds & getting the switches down.

My biggest challenges today are learning to do the opposite of everything I've been taught:

HS - Jog around players to report the foul
Pro - Walk right down the lane to report the foul

HS - Visible b/c counts
Pro - Use 16 sec on the shot clock as a reference

HS - Run/jog everywhere you could walk to
Pro - "Move with a purpose... I know what you're trying to show us, but we don't run in the league" - Clinician

Now that the summer is over & I don't have any more opportunities to use pro mechanics, the things I'm having trouble reverting back to are:

- Stop clock signal on OOB
- Hand up prior to chopping in time
- No loose ball foul mechanic
- Using closely guarded
- 1 hand reporting / no walkie talkie
- Using a lanyard

All in all, I love using the pro rule set, floor mechanics & their signals are awesome!!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 107
ch1town,

Thanks for the thoughts. The adult league I work uses only two officials so we had no switches to speak of. We just use standard two man high school mechanics.

Also, we didn't use the 3 seconds defense in the key rule nor the "no charge line" in the key. Most of the gyms used in the adult league are high school or grammar school gymnasiums so those lines aren't there.

It's definitely pretty funky to work this league. I might be working more in a couple of weeks so we'll see what other issues I run into.
__________________
Visit My Officiating Blog: http://www.behindthewhistle.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 09:45am
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
Since you are using pro rules, why not use pro mechanics? Are you familiar with pro two-man mechanics? I have worked much more using three-man, but I believe pro two-man mechanics are to officiate to the left of the ball.

I'm a firm believer in experiencing many different rule sets and mechanics. I think doing this forces an official to have a greater understanding of what needs to be watched. For instance, in a two-man game, when the L comes across the paint to watch post play where do most officials look at the T? Is the positioning the same/similar at the T as it would be in a three-man game? The answers (my answers): off ball/backside and no.
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 107
Tomegun,

I'm not familiar at all with the pro-style two man mechanics. I know I've looked up the NBA rules on NBA.com, perhaps I'll go look up to see if the mechanics are published anywhere (if you know any sites, let me know).

Honestly, I think while the league uses NBA rules, the guys working it look at it as a way to earn money versus learning to work different mechanics.

I do get your point though. College and high school mechanics are more similar than NBA mechanics. However, at the end of the day, it's just a matter of learning it and making it a part of your "muscle memory".
__________________
Visit My Officiating Blog: http://www.behindthewhistle.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
Tomegun,

I'm not familiar at all with the pro-style two man mechanics. I know I've looked up the NBA rules on NBA.com, perhaps I'll go look up to see if the mechanics are published anywhere (if you know any sites, let me know).

Honestly, I think while the league uses NBA rules, the guys working it look at it as a way to earn money versus learning to work different mechanics.

I do get your point though. College and high school mechanics are more similar than NBA mechanics. However, at the end of the day, it's just a matter of learning it and making it a part of your "muscle memory".
Just want it to be known that the rules on the NBA site are outdated by about 3 or 4 years. Plenty of rule changes have been made since then.
__________________
"players must decide the outcome of the game with legal actions, not illegal actions which an official chooses to ignore."
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:16pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Just want it to be known that the rules on the NBA site are outdated by about 3 or 4 years. Plenty of rule changes have been made since then.
Can't they afford a website manager person?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Can't they afford a website manager person?
Not yet - they need to cut the officials' salaries first.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:47pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Can't they afford a website manager person?
Nah...they just don't actually use them that often, so what's the point?


I keed....I keed....
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Not yet - they need to cut the officials' salaries first.
Saw that one comin' right down the highway...
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 04:54pm
APG's Avatar
APG APG is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Just want it to be known that the rules on the NBA site are outdated by about 3 or 4 years. Plenty of rule changes have been made since then.
http://www.nba.com/media/2008-09-NBARuleBook.pdf

Are you sure? Seems like this copy contains all the rule changes from the 2008-2009 season. What exactly is missing in this copy?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
http://www.nba.com/media/2008-09-NBARuleBook.pdf

Are you sure? Seems like this copy contains all the rule changes from the 2008-2009 season. What exactly is missing in this copy?
hmmm.. no your right that one is good. I wasn't talking about the media one but then again i hadnt found that one yet.
__________________
"players must decide the outcome of the game with legal actions, not illegal actions which an official chooses to ignore."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NASO Sports Officiating Summit - Officiating and Technology Kostja Football 0 Tue Mar 20, 2007 09:21am
NASO Sports Officiating Summit - Officiating and Technology Kostja Baseball 0 Tue Mar 20, 2007 09:20am
NASO Sports Officiating Summit - Officiating and Technology Kostja Basketball 0 Tue Mar 20, 2007 09:19am
What if ASA style oppool Softball 15 Wed Feb 14, 2001 11:29pm
What if ASA style oppool Softball 5 Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:12pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1