The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

change call...get it right?

3 person crew...girls tournament

White leads blue by 2 points with 1:00 left in regulation. W-14 has the ball in the back court (just off the end line), but she is getting trapped in the corner. As she's turning to avoid the double team, she goes down (I am the trail...just off the court, about two or three feet from the player). I blow the whistle for a travel. W14 looks at me and says "I never lost my dribble!" About the same time, the trail comes running to me and he tells me that he had a very clear look at the play and she never stopped dribbling when she went down. CRAP!

We discussed it for a second and decided we had to go with an inadvertant whistle and white got the ball back. Naturally, the fans went crazy and when I explained the situation to the blue coach, he was not happy, but he understood we were getting the play right (he was frustrated because he had them trapped in the corner regardless of the travel call and now they got the ball out of bounds).

As it turns out, white threw the ball away as soon as they inbounded the ball and blue shot and missed three or four straight shots. White finally got the ball back with less than 10 seconds left and blue fouled with 6.3 left. White made one shot for a three point lead. Blue takes timeout and with 2 seconds left they get a wide open three point shot that bounces off the rim.

I feel like we got it right, but it was not pretty. In hindsight, I was probably too close to make the travel call. She was not pushed or bumped...she just went down as she tried to avoid the trap. I was looking more from the waist up to see if there would be a foul and I just didn't see her continue to dribble.

Other than that, it was a pretty good game.

PLease give me your thoughts...
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144 View Post

I am the trail............

About the same time, the trail comes running to me
There's your problem.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:18am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144

I am the trail............

About the same time, the trail comes running to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There's your problem.

Schizophrenia?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

I see an opportunity for us to see who can fill in the blank the best.

Too many Trails spoil the ______________.

Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Seriously, you have to change the call if the player was dribbling the whole time. Heck, it's one of the fundamentals of the rules that a player can't travel while dribbling, so trying to stick with such a call would be ridiculous.

Your first clue that you might have missed the call was the protest from the player. However, what happened next is bit puzzling to me.

1. Did YOU go seek extra information from your partners or did one of your partners come to YOU and offer it? There actually is a significant difference between you asking and one of them volunteering. I'm far more likely to volunteer information when the play is strictly a rules situation and to stay out of it when it's a judgment call, including an OOB call. Most of the time, if the calling official doesn't come to me and ask, he is on his own.

2. Was it the Center who provided the help or was it the new Lead?

I'm not sure how I feel about the Center helping under these circumstances. Obviously, if he hadn't you would have completely blown the call, but on the other hand I'm not thrilled that one of your partners was looking at a trap three feet from you instead of doing his job and observing the other players in the backcourt trying to get open to receive a pass. A defender could have been holding one of them and that is why the trapped player was having trouble. I'd be disappointed to learn that one of my partners didn't believe that I could officiate a 2 v 1 trap right in front of me, whether that's true or not.

I know how I feel about the new Lead attempting to help with this play. What the heck is he doing looking back there? Doesn't he have players in the frontcourt or near the division line who need observation? I would call that ball-watching and not be happy about it at all.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 04:22am.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 06:34am
Huck Finn

I think the new Lead was probably responsible for 7 players at this point. Please come back and paint us a better picture. How many players were involved in the trap? Where were the other players (frontcourt backcourt)? Who was it that came to give you information because it couldn't have been the trail since you said you were. Was the trap happening in the corner on the Trail/Lead side of the court or the Center's side of the court?

Assuming you did in fact get it right, let's look at what was wrong with the play and what could be done to prevent the same thing from happening in the future. At this stage in the game, all game really, it should have been a high certainty call.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I see an opportunity for us to see who can fill in the blank the best.

Too many Trails spoil the ______________.

Too many Trails spoil the Happy.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I feel like we got it right, but it was not pretty. In hindsight, I was probably too close to make the travel call. She was not pushed or bumped...she just went down as she tried to avoid the trap. I was looking more from the waist up to see if there would be a foul and I just didn't see her continue to dribble.

Other than that, it was a pretty good game.

PLease give me your thoughts...
Concerning this play -
At this point, you have lost all chances to "get it right". What you are doing is tring to lessen the damage created.

Rarely is anyone really trying to get it right, when they say "get it right". They are actually trying to fix a screw up. (I know, I have been there.)
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Too many Trails spoil the Happy.
Really? Nobody liked that enough to comment? Hrrmph.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 05:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Really? Nobody liked that enough to comment? Hrrmph.
Well, I'm late to the party, but my answer is, "Not really."
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

It was the trail who ran in and volunteered the information. I was prepared to go with my call (even though the player protested). The trail came in immediately with what he saw. As we talked, the center came in, but he said he did not see anything.

There was pressure and there's a good chance all 10 players were in the backcourt.

My problem was that I was too close to the play. I'm concentrating on body or hands contact (holds, grabs, push, etc.) and I did not have a good look from the waist down. When she went down, it was obviously without a foul and in my haste, I called the travel. Interestingly enough, in a game today, I had a very similar play and I was able to be patient and not call a travel.

It's all part of becoming a better official.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was the trail who ran in and volunteered the information. I was prepared to go with my call (even though the player protested). The trail came in immediately with what he saw. As we talked, the center came in, but he said he did not see anything.

There was pressure and there's a good chance all 10 players were in the backcourt.

My problem was that I was too close to the play. I'm concentrating on body or hands contact (holds, grabs, push, etc.) and I did not have a good look from the waist down. When she went down, it was obviously without a foul and in my haste, I called the travel. Interestingly enough, in a game today, I had a very similar play and I was able to be patient and not call a travel.

It's all part of becoming a better official.

We still have too many Trails.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

While sometimes we may have two trails bc one is on didn't notice a flex, what were you? Are you talking about the old L who became the new T or did the C come in and gave you the information? Is this what you mean?
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

He was the old trail, who was in the process of becoming the new lead, but with the pressure in the backcourt at the end of the game, he had yet to cross the division line into the "new" frontcourt. I was on the endline, the C was about even with the free throw line on the opposite side and the "new" lead (although still in a trail position) was about two feet from the division line (all 10 players were in the backcourt with us). Does that help?
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 12:02am
Huck Finn

So the Lead came all the way to where you were to talk about a play? Honestly, how many players did he have to look through/around to do this? Keep things simple: he was the Lead.