The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

H.S. playoff game, H.S. rules, Call went against home team, and happened this way; pass to 15 yard line, defender clearly hit reciever before ball arrives, in fact two flags were thrown for interference, reciever juggles ball, then catches and runs into end zone. Should be 6 points BUT...one ref blew whistle as reciever caught ball(inadvertant whistle was explanation to coaches), and possesion was given at point of catch. Defender had fallen to ground, and no other (offense or defense) player was within 20 yards of the play. Home team fumbled and lost 20 yards next play, never scored on this possession. My question is, Can a mistaken or inadvertant whistle be overturned? could the TD have stood? (official in end zone signalled TD). If in referees judgement, the mistaken whistle would have had no effect on play, can play stand?

This was a tight game, and this score would have put home up by 1 point in 3rd period. Home went on to win with a 4th and goal TD pass with 38 seconds left in game, so above call didn't factor into a loss, but I am curious as to what some of you guys think.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like the whistle is before the ball is caught. If this is the case, they can accept the penalty of pass interference(enforce from the line of scrimmage) or they can decline it and replay the down.

If the player was in possession at the IW, he can either accept the penalty and enforce from line of scrimmage, decline the penalty and have the ball where it is or decline the penalty and replay the down.

I think that's right, anyone elses thoughts?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

To answer JELs actual question: NO, the IW cannot be recinded. The officials have to live with it as do the coaches and must follow the rules that say how to handle an IW as Snake~eyes discribed.

I don't want to hear about any what if a runner had just ripped off a 90+ yard run and the official blew his whistle has he crossed the 5 yard line with no player within 30 yards of him.

Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
H.S. playoff game, H.S. rules, Call went against home team, and happened this way; pass to 15 yard line, defender clearly hit reciever before ball arrives, in fact two flags were thrown for interference, reciever juggles ball, then catches and runs into end zone. Should be 6 points BUT...one ref blew whistle as reciever caught ball(inadvertant whistle was explanation to coaches), and possesion was given at point of catch. Defender had fallen to ground, and no other (offense or defense) player was within 20 yards of the play. Home team fumbled and lost 20 yards next play, never scored on this possession. My question is, Can a mistaken or inadvertant whistle be overturned? could the TD have stood? (official in end zone signalled TD). If in referees judgement, the mistaken whistle would have had no effect on play, can play stand?

This was a tight game, and this score would have put home up by 1 point in 3rd period. Home went on to win with a 4th and goal TD pass with 38 seconds left in game, so above call didn't factor into a loss, but I am curious as to what some of you guys think.
Makes no difference. The rule can't be set aside.