The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Red face

This happened last night in an ASA 12-U SP game. Bases empty, ball hit to pitcher, she throws to 1B. One umpire crew (as always) stands behind the plate waiting to make the call. Anyhow, as the ball is arriving 1B, expecting a routine play, he so nonchalantly makes an out call, and then turns his head away. Well, as we all know, there is no such thing as a routine play, especially with kids. Yup, you guessed it, the ball goes into her glove, and bounces right back out, runner is safe, right? NopeÂ…blue would not even attempt to change his call, and his only answer was that he didnÂ’t see it. That was his job to see it! In my opinion, he was embarrassed by not watching the play through its entirety, so he had to stick with his original call.

Anyhow, IÂ’m curious to know how some of you guys would have handled this. We all make mistakes, even umpires. Why not drop the ego for a minute and make the right call? IÂ’m sure everyone in the ballpark would respect this guy more for doing the right thing. I know I would have regardless what team I was cheering for.

JP
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 08:35am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Irish Ripple

Anyhow, IÂ’m curious to know how some of you guys would have handled this. We all make mistakes, even umpires. Why not drop the ego for a minute and make the right call? IÂ’m sure everyone in the ballpark would respect this guy more for doing the right thing. I know I would have regardless what team I was cheering for.

JP
JP,
Assuming it happened to me at that age level, one option would have been to go the defensive coach (since we know how everyone else felt about it)and ask if the runner was safe.
If he says "Safe", ... end of story.
If he says "Out", I apologize, stick with my call and try to get back into the game.
mick
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Irish Ripple
This happened last night in an ASA 12-U SP game. Bases empty, ball hit to pitcher, she throws to 1B. One umpire crew (as always) stands behind the plate waiting to make the call. Anyhow, as the ball is arriving 1B, expecting a routine play, he so nonchalantly makes an out call, and then turns his head away. Well, as we all know, there is no such thing as a routine play, especially with kids. Yup, you guessed it, the ball goes into her glove, and bounces right back out, runner is safe, right? NopeÂ…blue would not even attempt to change his call, and his only answer was that he didnÂ’t see it. That was his job to see it! In my opinion, he was embarrassed by not watching the play through its entirety, so he had to stick with his original call.

JP
Granted, his mechanics were terrible, but if he didn't see it, he didn't see it! Does he have to eat the call? Absolutely, no other way around it. Does he tolerate a bit more heat for missing it? If he's smart, he does. That is the end of the story as far as the call goes.

The best way to handle it is to fess up to the offended coach.

"Coach, I made a mistake and turned my head. I wish I could help, but I cannot reverse a call based on something that I did not see. I'm sorry, I will do my best to pick up my game to a level to prevent this from happening again. Thank you for understanding."

If the coach wants to continue the debate, the umpire should allow him to have his say, but when all is said and done, it is over. First word out of the coach after that concerning the faux pas, you stop and go talk to the coach and tell him the play is over and the rest of us are moving on. If he chooses to maintain an antagonistic attitude, he may do so in the parking lot.

Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that (turned my head).

Several years ago, 12U baseball game, 1 man mechanic, runners on first and second, one out, ground ball to F6 - routine DP. I am moving out on infield, trying to clear the pitcher for a view of 2B and I let go of F6. (Yeah, yeah, let the ball take you to the play, but I didn't.)

But guess what? F6 decides to go to 3B! By time I hear the commotion and look to 3B, the play is over. I quickly point to the 3B coach and say "your call!"

He signals out and I ring 'em up.

Lesson learned. Just because you know the game, don't assume that kids will make that play. Actually you have no clue what they might do. Better you keep your eye on them.

WMB
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Little different outlook on this play.

Situtation. One run game, runner on 3rd, team batting is
behind.

You are two man crew, you are BU, you clearly have a
runner beat the throw, you are thinking safe all the
way, but you call her out. Do you eat that one? Or
do you make it right?

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, all but tournament and playoff games are one-man affairs, and there are many plays you simply don't see. Last weekend, men's modified, force play at 2B. I see F4 scoop the ball in time and he's on the base. But he was off balance and fell toward 3B. Meanwhile, F1 moves just to the left of the play, so what I see is F4 scoop the ball, fall "behind" the pitcher, and reappear a half second later with the ball in his glove. Everybody in the park saw F4 juggle the ball but one person, and we know who that was.

I told the offensive coach that I didn't doubt for a moment that F4 juggled the ball, but I didn't see it and couldn't call what I didn't see. The coach was a long-time ballplayer and didn't make much noise about it.

Checked swings, balls off the batter's foot, swipe tags, infielders actually touching 2B or not, tag ups, runners leaving too soon, obstruction in one place when the play is someplace else—all these calls and more are potential pitfalls of the one-man system.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 01:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Little different outlook on this play.

Situtation. One run game, runner on 3rd, team batting is
behind.

You are two man crew, you are BU, you clearly have a
runner beat the throw, you are thinking safe all the
way, but you call her out. Do you eat that one? Or
do you make it right?

glen
glen,
My most grievous fault is the converse :
  • Seeing the out, then seeing the runner on the bag, and then calling, "Safe !".

Dang brain cramps interspersed with senior moments and bad eyesight and ...!
    mick

Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 01:48pm
    Official Forum Member

It doesn't have to be kids that create unusual plays as well. I can add my 'been there, done that' story with my men's slow-pitch league I call. Runners at 1st and 2nd, 2 outs. Ball was hit to SS. I was so sure that the SS was going to throw the ball to 1st for the easy out, that I trailed the BR to get into position, forgetting about the 2nd base runner. All of a sudden, everyone starts walking off the field. I just shook my head, not believing that I had forgotten about the 2nd base runner who was tagged out for an even easier 3rd out. At least everyone knew where the out was made, and didn't look to me for a close play. Chalk it up to additional experience...let the ball take you to the play
    Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 09:52am
    Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
    Quote:
    Originally posted by greymule
    ... snip ... Last weekend, men's modified, force play at 2B. I see F4 scoop the ball in time and he's on the base. But he was off balance and fell toward 3B. Meanwhile, F1 moves just to the left of the play, so what I see is F4 scoop the ball, fall "behind" the pitcher, and reappear a half second later with the ball in his glove. Everybody in the park saw F4 juggle the ball but one person, and we know who that was.

I told the offensive coach that I didn't doubt for a moment that F4 juggled the ball, but I didn't see it and couldn't call what I didn't see. ... snip ...
    Wouldn't you have to call the runner safe to avoid "guessing an out"?
    Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 10:03am
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
    Originally posted by CecilOne
    Quote:
    Originally posted by greymule
    ... snip ... Last weekend, men's modified, force play at 2B. I see F4 scoop the ball in time and he's on the base. But he was off balance and fell toward 3B. Meanwhile, F1 moves just to the left of the play, so what I see is F4 scoop the ball, fall "behind" the pitcher, and reappear a half second later with the ball in his glove. Everybody in the park saw F4 juggle the ball but one person, and we know who that was.

I told the offensive coach that I didn't doubt for a moment that F4 juggled the ball, but I didn't see it and couldn't call what I didn't see. ... snip ...
    Wouldn't you have to call the runner safe to avoid "guessing an out"?
    In the case given the out was "seen", the safe would have been a guess based upon audible reactions.