The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

In a game the other day, A1 went up for shot under basket. B1 went up for block. It appeared ref anticipated call (but I don't really know) becasue hand went up, but then he kind of half blew the whistle and had a look on his face like "Oh, that was really a good block and not a foul". But since he had blown the whistle he made the foul call on B1. My question is, has anyone blown their whistle and then wished they hadn't. And if so, do you go with the call anyway, knowing you missed that one? Do you have any other recourse?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 09:51am
Suppref

I think it's safe to say that we have all blown the whistle when we didn't want to. We gat caught up in the moment as well. The only recourse is to either make the call or bite the bullet, announce inadvertant whistle sell the fact that the play was legal and play on with possesion. Of course the coach of team A will go nuts, but you could calmly tell him you made the right call and will give his team the same effort. Better to get it right then penalize to save face
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I have done this, you swallow your pride, call an inadvertent whistle, and move on. In this case if the shot was off, no possession, go to the arrow.

You will hear it from both coaches, but that is your medicine for anticipating the call.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I have a really bad habit of half raising my arm, but not blowing my whistle, I caught some grief for this the other night(as I should). I am really working on this problem.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Rookie...

The old half-arm strikes again!

There is nothing wrong with a slight hesitation before going up with your arm. Relax, see the play, then react.

A good, late whistle is better than a wrong, fast one...
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I'm with you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
I have a really bad habit of half raising my arm, but not blowing my whistle, I caught some grief for this the other night(as I should). I am really working on this problem.
Rookie,
I hate that! I used to throw out my shoulders trying to stop that arm from going up. Big Dave is right, just slow it down and make sure what you've got. (That technique is excellent for working the dish too.)
I know that is easier said then done.
mick

Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

what I find humorous about my half-arm is that during my initial clinics, I wasn't stopping the clock when I blew my whistle. Whatever they said to me worked a little to well.