The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Mechanics Question (3)

I'm looking over the NFHS Basketball Officials Manual 2007-09 and have a few questions I'd like to throw out there.

In a 2 person crew:

#1.

2.2 Putting the Ball in Play (Jump ball) (p.19) The manual states:

"E. Possession Gained in Team's Backcourt.
1. Umpire will move with the ball to become the Trail.
2. Referee will move into Lead position. See Diagram 2-4"

My question is do you guys/gals follow this mechanic on a jump ball? I am not sure if I've ever seen that done here in Texas. In virtually all cases I see the R take the Trail position regardless of possession gained in Team's Front or Backcourt.

#2.

2.2 Putting the Ball in Play (Free Throws) (p.23-24) The manual states:

Lead Official:
"6. Watch the first space on the near lane line and all the spaces on the opposite lane..."

Trail Official:
5. Observe the thrower and top two spaces on the opposite lane line..."

(Diagram 2-12 is used to illustrate)

Question: Since the players were moved up one space for the 08-09 season, is this coverage still valid? What is the correct coverage if it's not?

#3.

2.3 Court Coverage (Three Point Try) (p.30) The manual states:

"6. When the Lead Official signals a successful three point attempt, the Trail official shall mirror the signal."

Question: I believe that I was told that the Lead should only signal that the attempted shot is a 3 point attempt --Not signal if the basket is good. I was told the Trail should pick up the attempt and signal if the basket is good. What is the correct mechanic for the Lead?

Appreciate the help! Again I am in the great state of Texas if it helps rule clarification.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:16am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
In a 2 person crew:

#1. My question is do you guys/gals follow this mechanic on a jump ball? I am not sure if I've ever seen that done here in Texas. In virtually all cases I see the R take the Trail position regardless of possession gained in Team's Front or Backcourt.

#2. Question: Since the players were moved up one space for the 08-09 season, is this coverage still valid? What is the correct coverage if it's not?

#3. Question: I believe that I was told that the Lead should only signal that the attempted shot is a 3 point attempt --Not signal if the basket is good. I was told the Trail should pick up the attempt and signal if the basket is good. What is the correct mechanic for the Lead?
1. I think the only answer here is, it all depends. Say the ball is tipped deep into the b/c along the tableside sideline with a trap on. Do we really expect the R to stay on the circle until it's cleared, then hustle way over there to see if the player is OOB?? Pre-game is critical!

2. Yes, but we're IAABO (check your local listings)

3. I was told that too, but I think the manual says how it should be done. Now that i think about it, it sounds as if the person(s) spreading those half-truths are mixing up 3 person transition coverage & 2 person mechanics.

Last edited by Ch1town; Fri May 22, 2009 at 11:19am.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

1) 99% of the time, the R becomes the T. If the ball is in the BC AND it's contested, then U goes with the ball and becomes the T.

2) Same coverage (but some local associations change this so each official watches the side closest to them).

3) The manual is correct -- L has the try AND the success; T mirrors ONLY the success.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
I'm looking over the NFHS Basketball Officials Manual 2007-09 and have a few questions I'd like to throw out there.

In a 2 person crew:

#1.

2.2 Putting the Ball in Play (Jump ball) (p.19) The manual states:

"E. Possession Gained in Team's Backcourt.
1. Umpire will move with the ball to become the Trail.
2. Referee will move into Lead position. See Diagram 2-4"

My question is do you guys/gals follow this mechanic on a jump ball? I am not sure if I've ever seen that done here in Texas. In virtually all cases I see the R take the Trail position regardless of possession gained in Team's Front or Backcourt.

#2.

2.2 Putting the Ball in Play (Free Throws) (p.23-24) The manual states:

Lead Official:
"6. Watch the first space on the near lane line and all the spaces on the opposite lane..."

Trail Official:
5. Observe the thrower and top two spaces on the opposite lane line..."

(Diagram 2-12 is used to illustrate)

Question: Since the players were moved up one space for the 08-09 season, is this coverage still valid? What is the correct coverage if it's not?

#3.

2.3 Court Coverage (Three Point Try) (p.30) The manual states:

"6. When the Lead Official signals a successful three point attempt, the Trail official shall mirror the signal."

Question: I believe that I was told that the Lead should only signal that the attempted shot is a 3 point attempt --Not signal if the basket is good. I was told the Trail should pick up the attempt and signal if the basket is good. What is the correct mechanic for the Lead?

Appreciate the help! Again I am in the great state of Texas if it helps rule clarification.
You may do things differently in your local association, but here are the NFHS answers to your questions.
1. That means if the ball goes deep into the backcourt, not just near the division line. If the tap gets knocked into the 3pt arc or below the FT line extended, then the U has to run down there to cover the play. Someone may foul or the ball could go OOB and a decision can't be made by the R from midcout. In such cases it makes sense for the U to become the Trail and start a ten second backcourt count.
Don't hung up on the wording and confuse the above with clear control being established less than ten feet in the backcourt and all of the players moving towards the other end. In that case the U needs to go be the Lead.

2. Which players that text says for the officials to observe is no longer valid. You are correct that the players moving up a spot changed this a bit. The two officials still cover the shaded areas in that diagram. It's just that the players are now in different spots. So the Lead has the three marked lane spaces OPPOSITE him, and the Trail has the FT shooter and the three marked lane spaces OPPOSITE of him.
PS With the new mechanic for the coming season the diagram will be a mirror image of the actual coverage.

3. In 2-man if the Lead gives a preliminary signal becaue the try was attempted from his primary coverage area, then he also gives the "touchdown" signal on a successful three point goal.
In 3-man the Lead may sometimes need to help by giving a preliminary, but never gives the "touchdown" signal.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Regarding #3, I've always been advised to help with a signal for an attempt if need be. The trail official, if he's paying attention, should pick it up, then I would put my arm down and go back to my primary under the basket to watch for rebounding fouls and the like.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

In my area, we are told to NEVER mark the three point shot as Lead. Outside the three point line isn't in the Lead's area anyway, so I like it this way.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Never mark as lead? Since when does lead not have a three-point arc coverage. In three person mechanics you may be right but in two person mechanics the lead has corner to FT line extended on the one side, and by book should mark and signal if it is good with Trail mirroring.

Even in three man I would never say never... If you have a fast transition, lead mya have best look at a quick three since C is oppositeand trail may be way out of play ...
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You may do things differently in your local association, but here are the NFHS answers to your questions.
1. That means if the ball goes deep into the backcourt, not just near the division line. If the tap gets knocked into the 3pt arc or below the FT line extended, then the U has to run down there to cover the play. Someone may foul or the ball could go OOB and a decision can't be made by the R from midcout. In such cases it makes sense for the U to become the Trail and start a ten second backcourt count.
Don't hung up on the wording and confuse the above with clear control being established less than ten feet in the backcourt and all of the players moving towards the other end. In that case the U needs to go be the Lead.

2. Which players that text says for the officials to observe is no longer valid. You are correct that the players moving up a spot changed this a bit. The two officials still cover the shaded areas in that diagram. It's just that the players are now in different spots. So the Lead has the three marked lane spaces OPPOSITE him, and the Trail has the FT shooter and the three marked lane spaces OPPOSITE of him.
PS With the new mechanic for the coming season the diagram will be a mirror image of the actual coverage.

3. In 2-man if the Lead gives a preliminary signal becaue the try was attempted from his primary coverage area, then he also gives the "touchdown" signal on a successful three point goal.
In 3-man the Lead may sometimes need to help by giving a preliminary, but never gives the "touchdown" signal.
You must give the touchdown signals if the trail and center fail to. If not it becomes an official's error and not a scoring error.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
You must give the touchdown signals if the trail and center fail to. If not it becomes an official's error and not a scoring error.
If that happens, then you should blow the whistle to stop play and ask your C and T if either of them saw you indicate that the try was a 3. You can then let one of them give the "touchdown" signal to the table before resuming the game.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 08:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If that happens, then you should blow the whistle to stop play and ask your C and T if either of them saw you indicate that the try was a 3. You can then let one of them give the "touchdown" signal to the table before resuming the game.
If it is wrong, change it immediately. This should not be something you "ask" if you have a 3 and they did not signal.

At least that is how it is done at all levels I have worked.

So if you know there was a three point shot missed, then you go to the table and say, "That was a 3." You do not have a conversation with your partners for something like this in my opinion.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Never mark as lead? Since when does lead not have a three-point arc coverage. In three person mechanics you may be right but in two person mechanics the lead has corner to FT line extended on the one side, and by book should mark and signal if it is good with Trail mirroring.

Even in three man I would never say never... If you have a fast transition, lead mya have best look at a quick three since C is oppositeand trail may be way out of play ...
My bad. I was talking about 3-man only. I totally agree with you for 2-man.

You're right about transition. If I'm Lead and I know that the Trail doesn't see it, I'll mark the try and let him give the touchdown signal if good. That's the only time though.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 09:37am
Courageous When Prudent

2-man free throw positioning

Worked by first 2-man games with the new mechanic. I absolutely hate it more than any mechanic I've encountered in my 7 1/2 years of officiating.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Worked by first 2-man games with the new mechanic. I absolutely hate it more than any mechanic I've encountered in my 7 1/2 years of officiating.
Why?

Because you can't remember where to go?
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I worked it this weekend for the first time. I didn't notice much of a difference - except in the L. I had to change my personal mechanics due to being opposite the table. I'll get over it, relearn, and move on.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 09:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why?

Because you can't remember where to go?
Actually that wasn't a problem. Forgetting that I was responsible for the free throw shooter was. I constantly started way too high then realized I needed to get down in position. My partners for the most part never did come done to properly monitor the shooter. Also I don't like that neither official has a view of the benches and table.