The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

TASO officials in past years have used our own mechanics manual but this year we have changed to NFHS mechanics. Unfortunately I have not received a mechanics manual. Does anyone know if there is an online manual?

Specifically, I have a question about the mechanics for the Trail official administering a free throw. In the past, we have held out 1 or 2 fingers toward the division line or 1 finger on each hand with the arms in a 180. I am now told that we are to use the same signal that we would use reporting a fouler's number to the table and do it directly in front of us. Does anyone know if this is correct? It would seem to me that we would do more good if we showed the signal directly to the table instead of toward the shooter and the lanes. They have already been told what they are shooting by the Lead official. In other words, who are we supposed to be showing the number of shots to?

Thanks, Ralph.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 09:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
TASO officials in past years have used our own mechanics manual but this year we have changed to NFHS mechanics. Unfortunately I have not received a mechanics manual. Does anyone know if there is an online manual?

Specifically, I have a question about the mechanics for the Trail official administering a free throw. In the past, we have held out 1 or 2 fingers toward the division line or 1 finger on each hand with the arms in a 180. I am now told that we are to use the same signal that we would use reporting a fouler's number to the table and do it directly in front of us. Does anyone know if this is correct? It would seem to me that we would do more good if we showed the signal directly to the table instead of toward the shooter and the lanes. They have already been told what they are shooting by the Lead official. In other words, who are we supposed to be showing the number of shots to?

Thanks, Ralph.
Ralph,
When I am reporting the foul and shots, I hold up the number of shots directly to the table and facing the table.

When I am in position to observe, I hold the number directly toward the table (for only about 2 seconds), but I am squared up toward the lane, so my signal is at my side.
mick
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

For fed mech FT :Trail

1. reports color, number, infraction and # of FT to scorer

2. make eye contact with lead give visual signal of # of FT
to be shot (this is usually done on your way to your next position).

3. help lead ensure lanes are occupied correctly, take final look at table, check Throwers feet.

4. as Thrower recieves ball start count, watch for violations, watch the release(and step down), watch for GT and BI, ensure ball either goes in or hits the rim.

5. if last FT to be shot raise hand and arm on the release
and start clock when ball is touched legally.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Check page 36 of the "basic procedures and mechanics..two officials"

Trail does NOT administer the free throw...this is done by the lead.

Reporting official will show the scorer the number of shots to be administered...after the reporting official has reported the foul, he/she will indicate how many shots will be attempted.....the page on official signals shows the arm/hands to the side when indicating the number of shots to be attempted....therefore shirt #s are shown to the scorer in front of the body and # of shots to be attempted are shown to the side...if a team is in the bonus this is shown using both hands.

Hope this Helps....JO
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by JO
...if a team is in the bonus this is shown using both hands.
If it's the 10th team foul, how do you indicate 2 shots with both hands?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith