The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hi Guys & Gals,

Question regarding the KO and 5-Man mechanics for NFHS.

Currently, I believe, that the H and L are on the free kick lines and the U and B are back where the receivers are.

My question centers on other mechanics. A few of us idiots have been bantering the idea about moving the U and B to the free kick lines and the H and L back to the recievers area. Essentially, this "switches" their positions.

Has anyone already tried this or do you currently use it? What are some of the pro's and con's?

Thanks for the input...
Uncle Ernie
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Well one con is that you will be placing official's who in no other situation during the game are required to rule on the neutral zone. L and LJ deal with that every down of the game. Also L and LJ are looking at the more open areas of the field every down and have to run a lot during the game. A long return by R may give U some trouble covering on some crews. U is looking at point of attack every down also so to put him near the wedge seems to keep him near his normal position.

What is your motivation for swapping positions?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
What is your motivation for swapping positions?
This mostly came from watching both the NCAA and the NFL and how they have the wings back with the R. Then we started thinking about how the L and H are always marking forward progress.

Plus, we don't have to have people switching at the end of the play. Also, we thought that it is easier for the H and setting the chains. One of the things that was also discussed is that it will give us more time to look at dead ball stuff and not give people a reason to be rushing to get to their new spot.

Additionally, the U and B can be bringing in a new ball respective to their side. We also thought about moving the B to the Kickers line since they tend to be a little faster than U's (no offense for the U's intended). This would make them responsible for GL coverage.

UE
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

I can see all of your points and a con which I didn't bring up is that U and BJ are required to get sideline spots which they would almost never have to get during a game.

So maybe it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb You got that right.

Quote:

That statement is the essence of any discussion you will have here, when it relates to philosophy. In my state we are told very specifically what to do and what not to do. Those are the folks that determine the assignments, so my personal opinion means nothing if I want a playoff game.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Here in PA we have the B on K's line and the U on R's line, with the H and L back with the R.

One crew in our chapter has gotten permission from the state association to have the U and B come into the field after the kick is away, much like the NCAA mechanic. The rationale for this is that the B and U are used to working "inside out" rather than being on the sidelines. This will give the H and L a lot of sideline to cover, but I guess that is not really different from any other play.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: You got that right.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

That statement is the essence of any discussion you will have here, when it relates to philosophy. In my state we are told very specifically what to do and what not to do. Those are the folks that determine the assignments, so my personal opinion means nothing if I want a playoff game.

Peace
When I said six of one and half a dozen of the other I was talking about the pros and cons. Everything is to be done the way your state or association tells you to do it.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 05:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: You got that right.

Quote:
When I said six of one and half a dozen of the other I was talking about the pros and cons. Everything is to be done the way your state or association tells you to do it.

Not everyone is strictly maindated by their state on this one way or another. But if they are, of course you are going to listen to them. But about the pros and cons, that is why I made the posts to begin with. Because what you might think is a great idea, someone else might see it as terrible. That is the nature of any conversation that deals with philosophy.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio went to the BJ with K and U with R and both moving in to their respective hash after the action has moved down field last year. rationale was that then they would be officiating from the inside out just like under game conditions. BJ would have goal line resposibility and wings would be responsible for sideline, just like during game. Some officials hated it some liked it.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

I think that L and H should keep their same positions. The point that they normally are watching neutral zone stuff prior to and during putting the ball in play is well taken. Also, I'd feel more comfortable during on-side kick situations with them there. If your crews are like the majority of crews I've seen in the last 28 years, the U is not exactly a speed demon, able to follow closely the kick returners. As for moving anyone onto the field during free kicks, I see it as looking for trouble. We see things pretty well from the outside and we'd never get caught 'inside' on plays that might go around you. Your state should be telling you what positions they want. I don't like to see variances.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply's guys!!