View Single Post
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
I'm looking over the NFHS Basketball Officials Manual 2007-09 and have a few questions I'd like to throw out there.

In a 2 person crew:

#1.

2.2 Putting the Ball in Play (Jump ball) (p.19) The manual states:

"E. Possession Gained in Team's Backcourt.
1. Umpire will move with the ball to become the Trail.
2. Referee will move into Lead position. See Diagram 2-4"

My question is do you guys/gals follow this mechanic on a jump ball? I am not sure if I've ever seen that done here in Texas. In virtually all cases I see the R take the Trail position regardless of possession gained in Team's Front or Backcourt.

#2.

2.2 Putting the Ball in Play (Free Throws) (p.23-24) The manual states:

Lead Official:
"6. Watch the first space on the near lane line and all the spaces on the opposite lane..."

Trail Official:
5. Observe the thrower and top two spaces on the opposite lane line..."

(Diagram 2-12 is used to illustrate)

Question: Since the players were moved up one space for the 08-09 season, is this coverage still valid? What is the correct coverage if it's not?

#3.

2.3 Court Coverage (Three Point Try) (p.30) The manual states:

"6. When the Lead Official signals a successful three point attempt, the Trail official shall mirror the signal."

Question: I believe that I was told that the Lead should only signal that the attempted shot is a 3 point attempt --Not signal if the basket is good. I was told the Trail should pick up the attempt and signal if the basket is good. What is the correct mechanic for the Lead?

Appreciate the help! Again I am in the great state of Texas if it helps rule clarification.
You may do things differently in your local association, but here are the NFHS answers to your questions.
1. That means if the ball goes deep into the backcourt, not just near the division line. If the tap gets knocked into the 3pt arc or below the FT line extended, then the U has to run down there to cover the play. Someone may foul or the ball could go OOB and a decision can't be made by the R from midcout. In such cases it makes sense for the U to become the Trail and start a ten second backcourt count.
Don't hung up on the wording and confuse the above with clear control being established less than ten feet in the backcourt and all of the players moving towards the other end. In that case the U needs to go be the Lead.

2. Which players that text says for the officials to observe is no longer valid. You are correct that the players moving up a spot changed this a bit. The two officials still cover the shaded areas in that diagram. It's just that the players are now in different spots. So the Lead has the three marked lane spaces OPPOSITE him, and the Trail has the FT shooter and the three marked lane spaces OPPOSITE of him.
PS With the new mechanic for the coming season the diagram will be a mirror image of the actual coverage.

3. In 2-man if the Lead gives a preliminary signal becaue the try was attempted from his primary coverage area, then he also gives the "touchdown" signal on a successful three point goal.
In 3-man the Lead may sometimes need to help by giving a preliminary, but never gives the "touchdown" signal.