The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

additional ncaa rules changes

The panel also addressed the perceived advantage teams had when a fouled player is injured. Previously, the shooting team's coach could select any player on his roster to take the free throws. Now, the opposing coach must select from the four players remaining players on the court.

And the committee approved expanding replay to determine flagrant fouls, which would result in ejection.

The rules changes will go into effect this fall.

(from cnnsi.com)

I see a new "perceived advantage" that may not have been thought out by the ncaa. I haven't seen the actual wording of the rule, so I could be incorrect.

A1 is fouled by B1. A1 is injured and cannot shoot. B2 coach picks the free throw shooter. Wouldn't this sitch allow B coach to force A coach to leave a player in the game who otherwise might have been subbed for while also knocking A1 out of the game (temporarily).
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Yes, it appears that way. Can you imagine if A3 has 4 fouls and there was a sub already at the table waiting to go in and now A3 is forced to stay in the game to shoot free throws?
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
A1 is fouled by B1. A1 is injured and cannot shoot. B2 coach picks the free throw shooter. Wouldn't this sitch allow B coach to force A coach to leave a player in the game who otherwise might have been subbed for while also knocking A1 out of the game (temporarily).
Very good point you bring up. Perhaps they have provisions for this. I would hope so.

Does anyone know where/when we can get our hands on the new published NCAA rules?
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ok, let me get this straight.
1. They think the offense needs a bit more of an advantage, so they hinder the ability of secondary defenders to draw a charge.
2. They think the offense gets too much of an advantage when a fouled player is injured, so they give the defense the opportunity to pick the shooter. It's just asking for hard fouls if you ask me.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Does anyone know where/when we can get our hands on the new published NCAA rules?
Like every other NCAA rule book, the basketball rules will be on the NCAA site as a PDF, which you can download for free.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ok, let me get this straight.
1. They think the offense needs a bit more of an advantage, so they hinder the ability of secondary defenders to draw a charge.
2. They think the offense gets too much of an advantage when a fouled player is injured, so they give the defense the opportunity to pick the shooter. It's just asking for hard fouls if you ask me.
I believe it addresses the potential tactic of having a poor FT shooter exaggerate the effect of a foul in order to allow the coach the chance to insert the team's best FT shooter....then sub him back out after making the 2-3 FTs (replacing him not with A1 but with a better defender or all around player).

The change will limit the possible FT shooters to those that team A's coach was already comfortable with being on the floor (which may also include their best FT shooters) but balances it by allowing coach B to select which one shoots.

As for inviting hard fouls....I would hope that the rule doesn't apply to intentional or flagrant fouls.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If they're going to limit to the 4 on the floor, then let the offensive coach choose. Just my opinion, though. This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.
You've nearly got it. "A solution in search of a problem" scans better.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Very good point you bring up. Perhaps they have provisions for this. I would hope so.

NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Committees Announce Rules Changes, Including a Focus on Sportsmanship - NCAA.org
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they're going to limit to the 4 on the floor, then let the offensive coach choose. Just my opinion, though. This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.
i believe the committee was close to getting this right, imo. i think they should have instead allowed the opposing coach to select from the bench if it is for a common foul, and then allow the offended coach select from the 4 on the floor if it is an intentional and allow the offended coach to also select from any player eligible if it is a flagrant. JMO
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
i believe the committee was close to getting this right, imo. i think they should have instead allowed the opposing coach to select from the bench if it is for a common foul, and then allow the offended coach select from the 4 on the floor if it is an intentional and allow the offended coach to also select from any player eligible if it is a flagrant. JMO
And if it occurs in the 3rd quarter on a Tuesday during a full moon...

You desire to make this WAY too complicated. Having multiple variations of the procedure only increases the likelihood of confusion arising and an incorrect decision being rendered.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 09:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Your opinion is noted, even if I think it's wrong.

Why not just let the official decide if he thinks the player is faking the injury? Or have a mandatory 60 second ineligible period for any player who leaves the game due to injury when free throws have to be attempted by a substitute?