The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 675
additional ncaa rules changes

...
The panel also addressed the perceived advantage teams had when a fouled player is injured. Previously, the shooting team's coach could select any player on his roster to take the free throws. Now, the opposing coach must select from the four players remaining players on the court.

And the committee approved expanding replay to determine flagrant fouls, which would result in ejection.

The rules changes will go into effect this fall.

(from cnnsi.com)

I see a new "perceived advantage" that may not have been thought out by the ncaa. I haven't seen the actual wording of the rule, so I could be incorrect.

A1 is fouled by B1. A1 is injured and cannot shoot. B2 coach picks the free throw shooter. Wouldn't this sitch allow B coach to force A coach to leave a player in the game who otherwise might have been subbed for while also knocking A1 out of the game (temporarily).
__________________
- SamIAm (Senior Registered User) - (Concerning all judgement calls - they depend on age, ability, and severity)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,345
Yes, it appears that way. Can you imagine if A3 has 4 fouls and there was a sub already at the table waiting to go in and now A3 is forced to stay in the game to shoot free throws?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
A1 is fouled by B1. A1 is injured and cannot shoot. B2 coach picks the free throw shooter. Wouldn't this sitch allow B coach to force A coach to leave a player in the game who otherwise might have been subbed for while also knocking A1 out of the game (temporarily).
Very good point you bring up. Perhaps they have provisions for this. I would hope so.

Does anyone know where/when we can get our hands on the new published NCAA rules?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:31pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Ok, let me get this straight.
1. They think the offense needs a bit more of an advantage, so they hinder the ability of secondary defenders to draw a charge.
2. They think the offense gets too much of an advantage when a fouled player is injured, so they give the defense the opportunity to pick the shooter. It's just asking for hard fouls if you ask me.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Does anyone know where/when we can get our hands on the new published NCAA rules?
Like every other NCAA rule book, the basketball rules will be on the NCAA site as a PDF, which you can download for free.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ok, let me get this straight.
1. They think the offense needs a bit more of an advantage, so they hinder the ability of secondary defenders to draw a charge.
2. They think the offense gets too much of an advantage when a fouled player is injured, so they give the defense the opportunity to pick the shooter. It's just asking for hard fouls if you ask me.
I believe it addresses the potential tactic of having a poor FT shooter exaggerate the effect of a foul in order to allow the coach the chance to insert the team's best FT shooter....then sub him back out after making the 2-3 FTs (replacing him not with A1 but with a better defender or all around player).

The change will limit the possible FT shooters to those that team A's coach was already comfortable with being on the floor (which may also include their best FT shooters) but balances it by allowing coach B to select which one shoots.

As for inviting hard fouls....I would hope that the rule doesn't apply to intentional or flagrant fouls.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:35pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
If they're going to limit to the 4 on the floor, then let the offensive coach choose. Just my opinion, though. This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.
You've nearly got it. "A solution in search of a problem" scans better.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Very good point you bring up. Perhaps they have provisions for this. I would hope so.

Does anyone know where/when we can get our hands on the new published NCAA rules?
NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Committees Announce Rules Changes, Including a Focus on Sportsmanship - NCAA.org
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If they're going to limit to the 4 on the floor, then let the offensive coach choose. Just my opinion, though. This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.
i believe the committee was close to getting this right, imo. i think they should have instead allowed the opposing coach to select from the bench if it is for a common foul, and then allow the offended coach select from the 4 on the floor if it is an intentional and allow the offended coach to also select from any player eligible if it is a flagrant. JMO
__________________
"players must decide the outcome of the game with legal actions, not illegal actions which an official chooses to ignore."
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
i believe the committee was close to getting this right, imo. i think they should have instead allowed the opposing coach to select from the bench if it is for a common foul, and then allow the offended coach select from the 4 on the floor if it is an intentional and allow the offended coach to also select from any player eligible if it is a flagrant. JMO
And if it occurs in the 3rd quarter on a Tuesday during a full moon...

You desire to make this WAY too complicated. Having multiple variations of the procedure only increases the likelihood of confusion arising and an incorrect decision being rendered.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 09:09am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
i believe the committee was close to getting this right, imo. i think they should have instead allowed the opposing coach to select from the bench if it is for a common foul, and then allow the offended coach select from the 4 on the floor if it is an intentional and allow the offended coach to also select from any player eligible if it is a flagrant. JMO
Your opinion is noted, even if I think it's wrong.

Why not just let the official decide if he thinks the player is faking the injury? Or have a mandatory 60 second ineligible period for any player who leaves the game due to injury when free throws have to be attempted by a substitute?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ncaa rules refaz Basketball 16 Thu May 15, 2008 11:20pm
NCAA Rules only. JRutledge Basketball 8 Mon Oct 31, 2005 08:14am
Additional warmup pitches during defensive coaches rules discussion moorg Baseball 3 Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:40pm
Additional Hitter richray Softball 3 Wed May 26, 2004 09:51pm
Additional catchers protection Del-Blue Softball 5 Thu Jan 29, 2004 09:59pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1