The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   additional ncaa rules changes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53570-additional-ncaa-rules-changes.html)

SamIAm Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:56pm

additional ncaa rules changes

The panel also addressed the perceived advantage teams had when a fouled player is injured. Previously, the shooting team's coach could select any player on his roster to take the free throws. Now, the opposing coach must select from the four players remaining players on the court.

And the committee approved expanding replay to determine flagrant fouls, which would result in ejection.

The rules changes will go into effect this fall.

(from cnnsi.com)

I see a new "perceived advantage" that may not have been thought out by the ncaa. I haven't seen the actual wording of the rule, so I could be incorrect.

A1 is fouled by B1. A1 is injured and cannot shoot. B2 coach picks the free throw shooter. Wouldn't this sitch allow B coach to force A coach to leave a player in the game who otherwise might have been subbed for while also knocking A1 out of the game (temporarily).

Raymond Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:59pm

Yes, it appears that way. Can you imagine if A3 has 4 fouls and there was a sub already at the table waiting to go in and now A3 is forced to stay in the game to shoot free throws?

bbcof83 Tue Jun 09, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 607734)
A1 is fouled by B1. A1 is injured and cannot shoot. B2 coach picks the free throw shooter. Wouldn't this sitch allow B coach to force A coach to leave a player in the game who otherwise might have been subbed for while also knocking A1 out of the game (temporarily).

Very good point you bring up. Perhaps they have provisions for this. I would hope so.

Does anyone know where/when we can get our hands on the new published NCAA rules?

Adam Tue Jun 09, 2009 01:31pm

Ok, let me get this straight.
1. They think the offense needs a bit more of an advantage, so they hinder the ability of secondary defenders to draw a charge.
2. They think the offense gets too much of an advantage when a fouled player is injured, so they give the defense the opportunity to pick the shooter. It's just asking for hard fouls if you ask me.

SethPDX Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 607746)
Does anyone know where/when we can get our hands on the new published NCAA rules?

Like every other NCAA rule book, the basketball rules will be on the NCAA site as a PDF, which you can download for free.

Camron Rust Tue Jun 09, 2009 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 607747)
Ok, let me get this straight.
1. They think the offense needs a bit more of an advantage, so they hinder the ability of secondary defenders to draw a charge.
2. They think the offense gets too much of an advantage when a fouled player is injured, so they give the defense the opportunity to pick the shooter. It's just asking for hard fouls if you ask me.

I believe it addresses the potential tactic of having a poor FT shooter exaggerate the effect of a foul in order to allow the coach the chance to insert the team's best FT shooter....then sub him back out after making the 2-3 FTs (replacing him not with A1 but with a better defender or all around player).

The change will limit the possible FT shooters to those that team A's coach was already comfortable with being on the floor (which may also include their best FT shooters) but balances it by allowing coach B to select which one shoots.

As for inviting hard fouls....I would hope that the rule doesn't apply to intentional or flagrant fouls.

Adam Tue Jun 09, 2009 04:35pm

If they're going to limit to the 4 on the floor, then let the offensive coach choose. Just my opinion, though. This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.

mbyron Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 607823)
This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.

You've nearly got it. "A solution in search of a problem" scans better. ;)

Nevadaref Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 607746)
Very good point you bring up. Perhaps they have provisions for this. I would hope so.

NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Committees Announce Rules Changes, Including a Focus on Sportsmanship - NCAA.org

btaylor64 Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 607823)
If they're going to limit to the 4 on the floor, then let the offensive coach choose. Just my opinion, though. This strikes me as one of those solutions without a real problem.

i believe the committee was close to getting this right, imo. i think they should have instead allowed the opposing coach to select from the bench if it is for a common foul, and then allow the offended coach select from the 4 on the floor if it is an intentional and allow the offended coach to also select from any player eligible if it is a flagrant. JMO

Nevadaref Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64 (Post 607915)
i believe the committee was close to getting this right, imo. i think they should have instead allowed the opposing coach to select from the bench if it is for a common foul, and then allow the offended coach select from the 4 on the floor if it is an intentional and allow the offended coach to also select from any player eligible if it is a flagrant. JMO

And if it occurs in the 3rd quarter on a Tuesday during a full moon...:rolleyes:

You desire to make this WAY too complicated. Having multiple variations of the procedure only increases the likelihood of confusion arising and an incorrect decision being rendered.

Adam Wed Jun 10, 2009 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64 (Post 607915)

Your opinion is noted, even if I think it's wrong. :)

Why not just let the official decide if he thinks the player is faking the injury? Or have a mandatory 60 second ineligible period for any player who leaves the game due to injury when free throws have to be attempted by a substitute?