The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 03:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Can Almost Hear Barbra Singing In The Background ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I declare this situation to be impossible, and thus unworthy of further discussion.
You're probably right, today. Back in the day when we had jump balls at three different spots, the division line, and both free throw lines, several times a game, it could have happened, and probably did. Maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., or his long time partner, Dr. James Naismith, had a jump ball tap go in the basket?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You're probably right, today. Back in the day when we had jump balls at three different spots, the division line, and both free throw lines, several times a game, it could have happened, and probably did. Maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., or his long time partner, Dr. James Naismith, had a jump ball tap go in the basket?
Several years ago FIBA ruled that a tap to the basket during a jump ball was to be considered a try for goal. Before that ruling it was the contrary, with all consequences in case of fouls or time expiring. Now, with AP, the case is highly unlikely (just not to repeat "impossible"): what sane player would make a tap to the basket during the initial jump ball?

Well, I know, insanity is not uncommon in some basket courts.

There was a time when a jump ball could be taken at any spot on the court, maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., remembers it.

Ciao