The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

... now about Game 6, for all the yammering and replays about great shots it's still amazing how much A1 can move his feet / shift pivots, etc. Nothing new, I know, but Pierce in particular near the end of regulation (I think) made a turnaround near the lane on the right side that even had my otherwise mildly interested wife shouting "traveling!"

Sure enough, as the broadcast team gushed about draining an admittedly tough shot in someone's face during multiple replays, it was painfully obviously his pivot was quite, um, mobile. One could tell, too, just by how much his body moved relative to where he started. Brutal.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 02:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
... now about Game 6, for all the yammering and replays about great shots it's still amazing how much A1 can move his feet / shift pivots, etc. Nothing new, I know, but Pierce in particular near the end of regulation (I think) made a turnaround near the lane on the right side that even had my otherwise mildly interested wife shouting "traveling!"

Sure enough, as the broadcast team gushed about draining an admittedly tough shot in someone's face during multiple replays, it was painfully obviously his pivot was quite, um, mobile. One could tell, too, just by how much his body moved relative to where he started. Brutal.
You must never have seen Dominique Wilkins in his prime.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

The officiating in the entire game was atrocious as they did not allow for advantage disadvantage throughout. It really looked like they were told to put a whistle on every single bit of contact. There were multiple plays at the rim where the defender was in his vertical plane and was called for a foul.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 05:41pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
The officiating in the entire game was atrocious as they did not allow for advantage disadvantage throughout. It really looked like they were told to put a whistle on every single bit of contact. There were multiple plays at the rim where the defender was in his vertical plane and was called for a foul.
So NCAA tourney officials suck because they can't stay in their primary, and now NBA playoff officials suck because they can't judge verticality.

WTF is stuck up your butt this week?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
So NCAA tourney officials suck because they can't stay in their primary, and now NBA playoff officials suck because they can't judge verticality.

I never used that inane vocabulary to describe their performance. And there were 3 very high quality officials on that game. In fact, the lowest rated official on the crew had the best game of the 3 imho. I never said those officials were terrible or not qualified. I simply stated my opinion that this particular game was not well officiated from the get-go. I felt like they inserted themselves far too often and were making calls based on previous games in the series and not on what was actually happening. It's no different than any of us working a rivalry game and knowing there is past bad history and calling it very tightly because of that and not letting the players play.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

You have to take EVERYTHING that this particular person posts with a grain of salt. If you check out this previous thread, he adamantly advocates that NCAA officials should go out of their primary. This post was typical.

Stay out of my pond!

He can't keep up with his own philosophies. They change with the wind.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure that there's a coach or fanboy forum somewhere that's missing this guy.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
You have to take EVERYTHING that this particular person posts with a grain of salt. If you check out this previous thread, he adamantly advocates that NCAA officials should go out of their primary. This post was typical.

Stay out of my pond!

He can't keep up with his own philosophies. They change with the wind.
This coming from the guy who can't even see contact on that play?!?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm sure that there's a coach or fanboy forum somewhere that's missing this guy.
Nevada,

Did you see this game? Do you not agree that there were more missed calls than usual, especially for Crawford?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just the 1st quarter while I was preparing to go out for dinner.

I saw the highlights of the 3 OTs on SportsCenter.

I have only two comments about the officiating.

1. I thought that the guy who was the trail and jumped in between Rondo and Hinrich did a tremendous job of stopping that situation from escalating.

2. I also thought that it was amusing and strange to see Joey Crawford grabbing a Celtics player by the jersey and wrestling him away from one of the Bulls. I make that comment without attempting to pass judgment upon his actions. I know that there are many who advocate never touching players, but there are also some top-notch people who have said that sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Fortunately, it worked out well for Crawford and we aren't discussing a player punching him or vice versa today.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just the 1st quarter while I was preparing to go out for dinner.

I saw the highlights of the 3 OTs on SportsCenter.

I have only two comments about the officiating.

1. I thought that the guy who was the trail and jumped in between Rondo and Hinrich did a tremendous job of stopping that situation from escalating.

2. I also thought that it was amusing and strange to see Joey Crawford grabbing a Celtics player by the jersey and wrestling him away from one of the Bulls. I make that comment without attempting to pass judgment upon his actions. I know that there are many who advocate never touching players, but there are also some top-notch people who have said that sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Fortunately, it worked out well for Crawford and we aren't discussing a player punching him or vice versa today.
I agree with the Crawford comment and "doing what you have to do". In fact we are trained how to deal with these confrontations and "face to face" confrontations. We are taught not to grab arms cause that, then makes a player defenseless and if he gets swung at, he is unable to protect himself. So you either grab jersey or around the waist.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 11:41pm
Huck Finn

Ben, can you define we?

Pro-Am?
D-League?
Camper?
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
I agree with the Crawford comment and "doing what you have to do". In fact we are trained how to deal with these confrontations and "face to face" confrontations. We are taught not to grab arms cause that, then makes a player defenseless and if he gets swung at, he is unable to protect himself. So you either grab jersey or around the waist.
I've heard the same thought expressed. I've never found it convincing. The problem with that technique is that it leaves the upset individual still able to punch you while you attempt to restrain him, but at the same time not restrain him.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Losing city talk show applauds officials

The sports station in Boston actually was handing out compliments to the officials. In a game its team lost.

Cornbread Maxwell, the ex-Celtic who is now a color commentator for radio, was high in his praise of the crew in general and Crawford in particular. He said outright "Joey Crawford took control of that game" and spoke of how the officials drew a line, allowing the teams to play physical without letting the game getting out of hand.

He also made the point that the Hinrich Rondo tussle was well handled to the point where it defused a situation that could have plagued the game going forward, and suggested that the trail originally had a Flagrant 2 on Rondo which was knocked down to a Flagrant 1 after they reviewed the tape -- and that the penalties of a F-1 and a T were enough to put the lid on, while a Flagrant 2 might have resulted in festering hostilities (although he also correctedly noted that Dr. Glenn Rivers ripped Rondo a new one during the game delay which made it clear that the team had to avoid being drawn into incidents that could lead to ejection or disqualification.)

It was rather insightful commentary, given NBE standards,and others on the same program joined in showing appreciation for the officials work which, no matter what our prolific pontificators might think about the crew's work, struck me as quite unusual, especially in the losing city.

I wonder what Obama thought.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've heard the same thought expressed. I've never found it convincing. The problem with that technique is that it leaves the upset individual still able to punch you while you attempt to restrain him, but at the same time not restrain him.
Well thats the decision you have to make. You can either allow them to square off and handle everything afterwards or you can step in and try to avoid ejecting anyone by getting in there so no one throws a punch. Its totally up to your descretion, but most in the league feel like if they can get between the two and remove the "retaliator" not the "instigator" from the frey then things can calm down and order can be restored a lot quicker.