The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Blazers/Celtics 6 on Floor

Hey everyone,
I am a first year official working high school games in Utah. Before I get to my post I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the useful information that I have read while lurking around in the forums. Much appreciated.

Now on to the title of the post, did anyone else see the highlight of the Blazers having 6 guys on the floor tonight against Boston, and getting away with it? They counted the basket before giving Portland a 'T'. I thought KG was going to have a heart attack trying to figure out why there was a guy so wide open. Hahaha.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Having 6 on the floor doesn't erase a basket or any other activity prior to discovery.

Welcome "a board."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7 View Post
I thought KG was going to have a heart attack trying to figure out why there was a guy so wide open. Hahaha.
Along with everything else he is very good at, KG is also an "All Star" whiner! JMO
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Here's what some SI writer said about the situation. Apparently the officials in that game "cheated".

Are NBA referees able to interpret right from wrong anymore? - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
Here's what some SI writer said about the situation. Apparently the officials in that game "cheated".

Are NBA referees able to interpret right from wrong anymore? - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
Granted, the officials made a mistake, but this article might be one of the stupidest articles I've read in recent memory.

"They said you couldn't correct the play, which I still disagree with,'' said Celtics coach Doc Rivers. "But the problem was we called around, we called the league, and they didn't have the answer either.''

I also doubt that the Celtics were unable to get a direct answer from the league. Directly from the NBA Casebook:

300. At 9:19 of the fourth period, Team A inbounds the ball at midcourt following a timeout. Player A1 scores a successful field goal, and it is then discovered that Team B has six players on the court. How is the play administered?

The field goal by Player A1 shall count, and a technical foul is called on Team B for not having five (5) players on the court when play begins. Following the free throw attempt, the ball shall be awarded to Team B on the baseline.

RULE 12A - SECTION III - c

Last edited by APG; Wed Dec 31, 2008 at 06:45pm.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the idiot who wrote this article

I write this in the early morning hours without knowing exactly how the rule is written regarding this particular infraction. What I do know is that the rule in this case is irrelevant. This is a black-and-white case of right and wrong, and I wonder if the referees got it so badly wrong because they have been mismanaged for so long a time that they can't begin to tell right from wrong anymore.

Translation: I am totally ignorant on this subject but my job is to write inflammatory crap, so here it is.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I was watching the game and it was clear that the 6th man was not discovered until after the basket was scored. The Blazer's color commentator, Mike Rice, didn't understand the rule (so what's new) and made fun of the play, saying that teams should do this all the time to get an advantage, since "they won't be penalized and lose the basket".

BTW - it was Greg Oden who was the "extra" man on the court. He was supposed to come out after the timeout. They showed him on the bench after the violation and when he found out the basket would count, he just started grinning.

Ah, the NBA. It's FAN-TASTIC!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Should of wrote this at the top of the article....

"I write this in the early morning hours without knowing exactly how the rule is written regarding this particular infraction. What I do know is that the rule in this case is irrelevant."

Pretty much sums it up doesn't it.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not understanding this???? How do you guys think the refs got this play wrong?

Also, the NBA rulebook states that the onus is on the coach and the team to provide 5 players, no more no less, on the floor at the time the ball becomes alive.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:51pm
9 times

bc7-

Several Uath refs hang around here. Where are you from?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
I'm not understanding this???? How do you guys think the refs got this play wrong?

Also, the NBA rulebook states that the onus is on the coach and the team to provide 5 players, no more no less, on the floor at the time the ball becomes alive.
I'm not sure anyone is arguing that they got this play wrong? Ultimately, in all three codes (NF, NCAA, NBA), the onus is on the coach and team to have 5 players on the court. Should we as officials allow more or less though? Absolutely not.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 08:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

The only thing the refs did wrong was not catch it in time.

People here are quoting the article that was linked, not accusing the refs of getting this wrong.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:20pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Um, by starting play with 11 players on the court? Just a guess, but that's where I think they went wrong.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
bc7-

Several Uath refs hang around here. Where are you from?
Grew up in Springville, currently live in Spanish Fork. How about you? I was actually wondering if there was anyone else from Utah around here.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

His analogy to the NFL is wrong. The penalty for 12 men in football negates the play. If NBA officials are supposed to disregard this RULE, what else are they supposed to disregard? Pushing? Out of bounds? What a hack.