Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoore View Post
It was very interesting and noteworthy that the lack of a fair number of African American officials in the 2009 NCAA men's division I tourney prompted Larry Rose, supervisor of the MEAC to send a note of concern to John Adams, the National Coordinator of Officials.

In response to Larry Rose's letter, Adams encouraged African American officials who also felt that this was a concern, to voice their opinions in writing. I wonder how many will actually put their feelings in writing.

There was an obvious lack of an African American presence in the Sweet 16 for sure. As many African Americans that play basketball, there should be greater representation of African American officials...especially since there are a very high number of QUALIFIED African American officials, who simply have not received their chance yet.

This is not a post to stir any racist comments...just a true reporting of what took place and hopefully a post that will stimulate good conversation and thoughts...

This is my first post...my next will be my letter to Adams (of course without my name). I think if any change will come about, it will be because of people like Larry Rose or other BIG TIME, BIG NAME African American officials. Hopefully, they realize that they have more influence than an African American official who has few years in division I or may not have the "name" yet. We'll see how much we (AA) stick together on this one...

Where are all the Irish officials? it's a travesty.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:57am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
No one is forced to be/stay an American. This Country has no impediments to leaving. A person who believes that their God given rights can be better realized elsewhere have the freedom to act on that belief.
That's classic, coach! You're basically saying "go back to Africa" without saying it
For one, it would be hard to go back to where you've never been. Secondly, it would be tough to be accepted there, seing how we were stripped of our language, culture, religion & so forth.
Too Americanized.

What I was saying is, based upon this:

Quote:
Their conclusion was that minorities in general were only slightly underrepresented and but blacks were substantially overrepresented based on the local population and the company needed to hire more Hispanics and Asians and fewer blacks. Needless to say, the group that filed the grievance was a bit upset with the result.

While I believe in Freedom, Justice & Equality for ALL. Hispanics & Asians still have their own countries, still speak their own languages, still have their culture & religions and most importantly made the descision to come to America. Blacks who live here (for the most part) don't have those choices.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
{wow} When will we understand the difference between those forced to be/born an American & those who come here of their own free will? Helluva difference...
I'm not talking about illegal aliens here. We're talking about legal citizens. Whatever the reason someone is here (legally) they should all be treated equally and fairly. In fact, you could make arguments invoiving how the west coast was really Mexican at one time and the US took it and all the things that would imply about Mexican Americans.

Plus, I don't think any blacks have been forced to be/born an American in over 150 years...all long since dead. Those here today have just as much freedom to leave as to stay.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:33pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not talking about illegal aliens here.

Neither am I

We're talking about legal citizens. Whatever the reason someone is here (legally) they should all be treated equally and fairly.

Concur

In fact, you could make arguments invoiving how the west coast was really Mexican at one time and the US took it and all the things that would imply about Mexican Americans.

You could make more arguments than that sir. One could make the argument that wherever Caucasians go, so does their (legal) gangbanging tactics ie; theft, dope dealing, murder, etc. But that's another story

Plus, I don't think any blacks have been forced to be/born an American in over 150 years...all long since dead. Those here today have just as much freedom to leave as to stay.

Yet you & your children still benefit from the hard work, blood, sweat & tears of all those deaths
So if you were held captive for hundreds of years & after being brainwashed, demoralized, losing everything you know & picking up your masters bad habits in the process, then freed to live among your master as an equal... where would you possibly go????

The more some of you post the more we see why this is a problem! Yep some of you are telling on yourselves & the funny (sad) thing about is that you don't even know
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's classic, coach! You're basically saying "go back to Africa" without saying it
For one, it would be hard to go back to where you've never been. Secondly, it would be tough to be accepted there, seeing how we were stripped of our language, culture, religion & so forth.
Too Americanized.

What I was saying is, based upon this:

Quote:
Their conclusion was that minorities in general were only slightly underrepresented and but blacks were substantially overrepresented based on the local population and the company needed to hire more Hispanics and Asians and fewer blacks. Needless to say, the group that filed the grievance was a bit upset with the result.
You might want to check your world history before you make the following claims....
Quote:
While I believe in Freedom, Justice & Equality for ALL. Hispanics & Asians still have their own countries,
Are you really sure about that? Just because there are countries that speak Spanish doesn't mean their culture or heritage is still there.

I see you're not too familiar with the history of Vietnam, Cambodia, India, China or any other Asian country.

Quote:
still speak their own languages, still have their culture & religions
Do you really think their original language was Spanish? I sure hope not...it was forced upon them by the Spaniards. There original languages are largely gone in the world....they sure don't know them.

Do you really think India would be is what it is without the British occupation? Would they even speak English at all or be Christian?

Do you think Vietnam or half of the far east chose to be overrun by China and/or Communism? The Vietnamese refugees had a choice?

Do you know how the Vietnamese alphabet came to be? Forced on them by the French since the French didn't want to understand their original alphabet.

Do you really think that most Hispanics were always Catholic? Again, no, it was forced upon them by the Spaniards/Catholics. (Read up on Aztecs, Mayans, Incas, etc.)

Quote:
and most importantly made the decision to come to America.
Are you really sure about that? Many of the "Mexicans" were here before it was part of the US. In fact it was part of Mexico when they were here and we took the land. Some that are "here" are only coming to a land that was once theirs.

Quote:
Blacks who live here (for the most part) don't have those choices.
So, what you're saying is that its OK to discriminate against non-black minorities in favor of blacks since they have an alternative?

What it boils down to is that reality and truth is usually between the point of views and not entrily as any one biased point of view perceives it to be.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 01, 2009 at 12:52pm.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if you were held captive for hundreds of years & after being brainwashed, demoralized, losing everything you know & picking up your masters bad habits in the process, then freed to live among your master as an equal... where would you possibly go????

The more some of you post the more we see why this is a problem! Yep some of you are telling on yourselves & the funny (sad) thing about is that you don't even know
What is/are the solution(s)? I see racism most days, if not every day. What do you propose we do as a society? Is there anything that is going to make up for slavery?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:53pm
Ch1town

CR, I could care less about all of those countries & their people... it doesn't affect ME. See how well I learned from the best

I love how you pick & choose what to address

I wouldn't want to address the following either if I were you:

1. You could make more arguments than that sir. One could make the argument that wherever Caucasians go, so does their (legal) gangbanging tactics ie; theft, dope dealing, murder, etc. But that's another story

2. Yet you & your children still benefit from the hard work, blood, sweat & tears of all those deaths

3. So if you were held captive for hundreds of years & after being brainwashed, demoralized, losing everything you know & picking up your masters bad habits in the process, then freed to live among your master as an equal... where would you possibly go????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
What is/are the solution(s)? I see racism most days, if not every day. What do you propose we do as a society? Is there anything that is going to make up for slavery?
I have no solutions or proposals, it's every man for himself & I'm getting mine. That's the American way & probably not...
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 01:07pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I think that's probably about enough since we are way off from the initial topic of the thread.
Closed Thread