The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:45am
In Time Out

African American Officials in the NCAA Tourney

It was very interesting and noteworthy that the lack of a fair number of African American officials in the 2009 NCAA men's division I tourney prompted Larry Rose, supervisor of the MEAC to send a note of concern to John Adams, the National Coordinator of Officials.

In response to Larry Rose's letter, Adams encouraged African American officials who also felt that this was a concern, to voice their opinions in writing. I wonder how many will actually put their feelings in writing.

There was an obvious lack of an African American presence in the Sweet 16 for sure. As many African Americans that play basketball, there should be greater representation of African American officials...especially since there are a very high number of QUALIFIED African American officials, who simply have not received their chance yet.

This is not a post to stir any racist comments...just a true reporting of what took place and hopefully a post that will stimulate good conversation and thoughts...

This is my first post...my next will be my letter to Adams (of course without my name). I think if any change will come about, it will be because of people like Larry Rose or other BIG TIME, BIG NAME African American officials. Hopefully, they realize that they have more influence than an African American official who has few years in division I or may not have the "name" yet. We'll see how much we (AA) stick together on this one...
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:51am
Ch1town

Let the games begin
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Noted.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good luck.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

for factual accuracy, here are the african-american officials who have worked in the Final Four going back 10 years:

Ed Hightower#
Tony Greene
Verne Harris

Tony Greene#
Verne Harris
Ted Valentine

Tony Greene#
Ed Hightower
Ted Valentine

Verne Harris#
Reggie Greenwood
Ed Hightower

Verne Harris#
Donnee Gray
Olandis Poole

Gerald Boudreaux#
Reginald Cofer#
Donnee Gray
David Libbey
Larry Rose

Tony Greene#
Ed Hightower
David Libbey

Gerald Boudreaux#
Tony Greene
David Libbey

Gerald Boudreaux#
Donnee Gray
Andre Patillo

Gerald Boudreaux#
David Libbey
Larry Rose

# indicates worked Championship Game
source: Final Four Record Book, pg. #25 ( http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...nal%20Four.pdf )
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Cmoore,

You make claims without the necessary proof. A rating system was used for officials (I assume) and if the "quota" you were expecting to see was not there, the first thing you do indirectly is play the race card. The black officials that you think should have been there, did not make the grade. For you to insinuate it is because of race without an iota of substance, is egregious and an abomination.

I think you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are a racist.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:42am
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Cmoore,

You make claims without the necessary proof. A rating system was used for officials (I assume) and if the "quota" you were expecting to see was not there, the first thing you do indirectly is play the race card. The black officials that you think should have been there, did not make the grade. For you to insinuate it is because of race without an iota of substance, is egregious and an abomination.

I think you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are a racist.
Let's be careful here.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Someone is nibbling at the bait...Don't catch the hook

-Josh
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:50am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoore View Post
It was very interesting and noteworthy that the lack of a fair number of African American officials in the 2009 NCAA men's division I tourney prompted Larry Rose, supervisor of the MEAC to send a note of concern to John Adams, the National Coordinator of Officials.

In response to Larry Rose's letter, Adams encouraged African American officials who also felt that this was a concern, to voice their opinions in writing. I wonder how many will actually put their feelings in writing.

There was an obvious lack of an African American presence in the Sweet 16 for sure. As many African Americans that play basketball, there should be greater representation of African American officials...especially since there are a very high number of QUALIFIED African American officials, who simply have not received their chance yet.

This is not a post to stir any racist comments...just a true reporting of what took place and hopefully a post that will stimulate good conversation and thoughts...

This is my first post...my next will be my letter to Adams (of course without my name). I think if any change will come about, it will be because of people like Larry Rose or other BIG TIME, BIG NAME African American officials. Hopefully, they realize that they have more influence than an African American official who has few years in division I or may not have the "name" yet. We'll see how much we (AA) stick together on this one...
With an issue that is this important, why would you send an anonymous letter? Letters without signatures are rarely taken seriously. Are you afraid that speaking out without the mask of anonimity is the wrong thing to do?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Eric Holder was right.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But you do want to institute some reverse discrimination. setting up a quota most likely?

...my next will be my letter to Adams (of course without my name). I think if any change will come about, it will be because of people like Larry Rose or other BIG TIME, BIG NAME African American officials. Hopefully, they realize that they have more influence than an African American official who has few years in division I or may not have the "name" yet. We'll see how much we (AA) stick together on this one...
Wow,
So you feel the issue is important enough to make this post. But when you send your letter to Mr. Adams, it will anonymous?

Why make a call to "we (AA) to stick together"? Why not make a call for all Officials, regardless of race to stick together?
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Life ain't fair. Get over it. Take up your cross. That is the real path, that is real compassion (greek significance). That will provide you with real peace.

Jesus Christ
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:21am
In Time Out

So, I guess I was the ONLY person who noted this issue? No one on here commented on the FACT that LARRY ROSE initiated the letter to ADAMS. Obviously HE felt it was an important issue and one that MANY people discuss in closed circles. How come no one has commented on that? I am sorry that my post has struck many of you in the wrong way and caused you to attack me. I will offer no further comments or threads regarding this issue.

Out...
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:26am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
for factual accuracy, here are the african-american officials who have worked in the Final Four going back 10 years:

Ed Hightower#
Tony Greene
Verne Harris

Tony Greene#
Verne Harris
Ted Valentine

Tony Greene#
Ed Hightower
Ted Valentine

Verne Harris#
Reggie Greenwood
Ed Hightower

Verne Harris#
Donnee Gray
Olandis Poole

Gerald Boudreaux#
Reginald Cofer#
Donnee Gray
David Libbey
Larry Rose

Tony Greene#
Ed Hightower
David Libbey

Gerald Boudreaux#
Tony Greene
David Libbey

Gerald Boudreaux#
Donnee Gray
Andre Patillo

Gerald Boudreaux#
David Libbey
Larry Rose

# indicates worked Championship Game
source: Final Four Record Book, pg. #25 ( http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...nal%20Four.pdf )
The Final Four is 3 games. It is pretty clear that black referees have had a fair share of assignments at this level for the past 10 years.

Someone is trying to stir the pot. Where are the spanish officials? Asian? Indian?