The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Where does one go to find out who is doing what games?

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Unless you know one of them personally, you have to watch the game to see who's on it. The NCAA does not publicize which officials will be on which games.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Or just watch all the 1st and 2nd round games. 96 officials will work those, and the refs for the regionals and the Final Four come from that pool.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

You can go to Yahoo.com, click on "sports", then click, "ncca hoops", then click "scores" (or something like that it says), then you click on the date of the games.. and then click the box scores.. it'll give you the officials who worked that game. I look ALL THE TIME.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Only 2:09 into his first game (UMD-UTEP), and Billy Packer has already blown an interpretation. Clear BI (both hitting the net and smacking the ball out of the cylinder) by UMD - Packer starts going on about how "the ball was on its way up" and "the ball had no chance of going in."

Of course, we know neither is a requirement for BI but, more importantly, the ball had a pretty damn good chance of going in on a bounce.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 12:53pm
Huck Finn

Thumbs up

Good info.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

officials names

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard

I just checked and they ARE there! Their names are listed at the very bottom. Thanks for the great call, iamaref.
The link is above.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Mar 18th, 2004 at 09:47 PM]
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

N. Carolina v Air Force

It looks like JB Caldwell is one of the officials. Anyone know for sure? I met him last year at a convention in Cleveland, Ohio. He is a very dynamic speaker. Anyone have any info about his camps?
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Who are THESE guys?

From the above website regarding the Duke/Alabama St. game:

Officials: John Higgins, Mike Stuart, Tim Clougherty

I thought this was amusing.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: N. Carolina v Air Force

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
It looks like JB Caldwell is one of the officials. Anyone know for sure? I met him last year at a convention in Cleveland, Ohio. He is a very dynamic speaker. Anyone have any info about his camps?
Yeah - he was working.

It was confirmed for me when I heard him talking to the players on a FT.

As for his camps, he's running three this summer. July 9-11, 11-14, and 16-18. Cost is $125 before May 1st. If you want more information or a copy of this pretty brochure I have in front of me, get in touch with Angie Williams: [email protected]

I think this is a great camp (especially if you're from Florida) and I'm hoping to return myself this summer.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Or just watch all the 1st and 2nd round games. 96 officials will work those, and the refs for the regionals and the Final Four come from that pool.
Are they chosen based on how well they did during their game(s)? And will it continue like that throughout the tourney?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Are they chosen based on how well they did during their game(s)? And will it continue like that throughout the tourney?
96 Refs are selected for the 1st round games, of those 96, 48 are pre-selected for a 2nd round game at the same pod site.

Of the 96 officials for 1st/2nd round, 48 officials are selected to work one game in the Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight round.

Those 48 16/8 officials are then eligible to be selected to the Final Four. Three crews of 3 are selected (each Nat'l Semifinal and the Nat'l Championship), and one alternate is selected (alternate for all 3 games).

Selection is based primarily on performance during the immediately preceeding round of tourney games.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
In the subsequent rounds are the officials chosen as a group of three or individually?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
In the subsequent rounds are the officials chosen as a group of three or individually?

Assignment is individually - you won't necessarily stay with the same crew for the whole tourney.

If, however, your whole crew screws up a play, you may all be on the same crew - watching the Final Four from your favorite local sports bar.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Who are THESE guys?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
From the above website regarding the Duke/Alabama St. game:

Officials: John Higgins, Mike Stuart, Tim Clougherty

I thought this was amusing.
Tim Clougherty is John Clougherty's son. He works SEC, Colonial, Ohio Valley and Atlantic Sun and worked in the tourney last year. I called Tim this morning to ask him about the Precision Time issue. He said he was scheduled for the first round game but won't find out until Monday if he's selected for next weekend or not. He was fortunate in that he lives in Raleigh where his game was played. I say fortunate because his dad had to travel all the way to Seattle.

Tim is a terrific baseball umpire, routinely working big games in the ACC and SEC. Has to be a pretty good life.

Mike Stuart has worked SEC ball for the past 9 years. I didn't see the game but my guess is that John Higgins is Tim Higgins. Did anyone see the game?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith