The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The primary area is that is written in the book. That being said I have no problem with extending that area if need be to help out. But the problem with this play in my opinion, the Lead was the last to make this call. The ball was around the FT circle and had gone further and further away from the Lead's area and well outside the 3 point line. If there was going to be a call, the Center was a better official to call something if the Trail passed. Let us forget if that was the right call or not.

Peace
Actually, the play happened even further out - just above the 3pt line.

You look at the beginning of the play, and I can see how lead, who has no action other than two players across the key, might extend his primary here. I'm not sure the centre, from where he is, can see the "trip". You need to be able to see the other (90 degrees away) angle, and all the centre likely sees is the Kansas player fall down.

So I'm going to modify my original comments and grant that, on this play, lead is watching the throw-in action away from the ball, which MIGHT include stuff near the top of the circle.

As well, looking at the replay, lead would have had a decent - though FAR AWAY - angle to view the cutter and both defenders. He is also the best out of the three to view the entire play from start to finish.

But there's one of two things that happened:

1. There was no contact
2. There was slight contact, but it was incidental.

Either way - not worthy of a call.

So it could have been a good pickup by the lead - if there had been a foul.

Which there wasn't.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post

You look at the beginning of the play, and I can see how lead, who has no action other than two players across the key, might extend his primary here. I'm not sure the centre, from where he is, can see the "trip". You need to be able to see the other (90 degrees away) angle, and all the centre (Wow, you really are Canadian ) likely sees is the Kansas player fall down.

So I'm going to modify my original comments and grant that, on this play, lead is watching the throw-in action away from the ball, which MIGHT include stuff near the top of the circle.

As well, looking at the replay, lead would have had a decent - though FAR AWAY - angle to view the cutter and both defenders. He is also the best out of the three to view the entire play from start to finish.
It appears that the Center official had no one in their area. Usually in this situation in CCA Men's Mechanics, this would be a Center call for that very reason. The Lead needs to be more concerned with plays near the basket. Not to say the Lead could not have been watching some players near the circle, but the Center if they are doing what is normally taught, the Center would have been a much better person to call this. And I am sure the Center was likely looking at this pay. And the Trail did not have a close defender on the throw-in so he can watch more than just watching the person with the ball. And if you are one of those officials that this is not your primary, you cannot be wrong. I have no problem with a call from either Lead or Center, just be right. I know if I had made this call as the Lead, I would want that play back. And that was really the point of this thread in the first place.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Just for information's sake...

Here's a screenshot of the play - trail is just off screen, straddling the centre line, and then takes two steps along the sideline, into the FC.

Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 03:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Taking your word for it on the numbers involved, but I think this is pretty much what happened, but I would say as he came through, rather than before. Accidental isn't always incidental.
I agree. #2's foot was moving (and off the ground) when the contact was made [from behnd].
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You look at the beginning of the play, and I can see how lead, who has no action other than two players across the key, might extend his primary here. I'm not sure the centre, from where he is, can see the "trip". You need to be able to see the other (90 degrees away) angle, and all the centre likely sees is the Kansas player fall down.

But there's one of two things that happened:

1. There was no contact
2. There was slight contact, but it was incidental.

Either way - not worthy of a call.

So it could have been a good pickup by the lead - if there had been a foul.

Which there wasn't.
How could you say above in #2 that there may have been slight contact but it was incidental? The player went to the floor. Sheesh.

"Accidental isn't always incidental." by just another ref

Great quote.

Last edited by refguy; Fri May 01, 2009 at 08:44pm.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This seems to boil down to a borderline foul, if it's a foul. If the T or C had called it, no one would question it. But the L?
If he got this one right, he got lucky.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
How could you say above in #2 that there may have been slight contact but it was incidental? The player went to the floor and was about to be called for a violation. Sheesh.

"Accidental isn't always incidental." by just another ref

Great quote.
1. by just another ref is wrong. In this case.

2. Stuff happens. First question you ask if you're going to blow the whistle ought to be "what did the defense do wrong?" In this case, NOTHING.

"Sheesh" right back at ya.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:39pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This seems to boil down to a borderline foul, if it's a foul. If the T or C had called it, no one would question it. But the L?
I don't think I can call the foul, because #2 [yes, #2] was not put at a disadvantage when he was hit.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I believe there was contact and the L may have got it right but I don't believe that is where he should have been looking. The C was high and looking straight across the court and the T had a clear view of the play. The L had 2 players in the paint. JMHO.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe there was contact and the L may have got it right but I don't believe that is where he should have been looking. The C was high and looking straight across the court and the T had a clear view of the play. The L had 2 players in the paint. JMHO.
I like the philosophy, but don't agree 100%.

On this play, as the photo shows, L's primary could well include the KU player being pursued by MSU #1 and cutting by MSU #2. It's the closest competitive matchup besides the two guys across the paint - who aren't doing anything. And even then, L has to be watching wide enough to include the cutter, who starts the play well within L's primary.

As I stated before, I don't think C has a good enough look - too many bodies to see through.

I don't have a problem with L following this play - but he shouldn't have blown his whistle here.

Not because of primaries/secondaries, etc...but because there was no foul.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
1. by just another ref is wrong. In this case.

2. Stuff happens. First question you ask if you're going to blow the whistle ought to be "what did the defense do wrong?" In this case, NOTHING.
Defender stuck his foot where another player was trying to run.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

The other people must not be watching in high definition. I am not even sure it was accidental. He knew a cutter was coming through. Why would he stick his foot out at that instant? He wasn't moving to guard a player.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rule:
Rule 10
Section 1. Personal Fouls
Art. 1. A player shall not hold, push, charge, trip or impede the progress
of an opponent by extending arm(s), shoulder(s), hip(s) or knee(s) or by
bending his or her own body into other than a normal position; nor use any
unreasonably rough tactics.

Curiously the rule doesn't state leg or foot, but if I were the Lead this is what I would point to for justification of the call.

The leg was clearly extended, that is not debatable, and it ended up being in the path of the moving opponent. I also understand the point of those who are saying that he did not deliberately or knowingly step in front of the opponent as he likely didn't even see him.

In the end, I would rather see a foul call made here than a non-call.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
The other people must not be watching in high definition. I am not even sure it was accidental. He knew a cutter was coming through. Why would he stick his foot out at that instant? He wasn't moving to guard a player.
Well I have a high definition TV and I saw no contact. The only players that made contact were the two MSU players. The Kansas player tripped over his own foot and that is why he fell. The Kansas player tried to squeeze through a spot and caught himself off balance. I am still trying to figure out how he could have contacted the MSU player.

Oh well.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Whether it was a foul or not is argumentive.

Having the lead make that decision, as refguy advocates, is completely ridiculous.