The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Stay out of my pond!

If you saw the end of the MSU-KU game, then you saw exactly why you don't fish in somebody else's pond.

With less than a minute to play, KU inbounds the ball at the division line. K1 races to the throw-in, TRIPS over his OWN feet, catches the ball and falls near the division line. The LEAD races out and calls a MSU foul, with the trail looking at him like he's got two heads.

Unbelievable, bad call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If you saw the end of the MSU-KU game, then you saw exactly why you don't fish in somebody else's pond.

With less than a minute to play, KU inbounds the ball at the division line. K1 races to the throw-in, TRIPS over his OWN feet, catches the ball and falls near the division line. The LEAD races out and calls a MSU foul, with the trail looking at him like he's got two heads.

Unbelievable, bad call.
while I agree with your premise that the lead should have never come out to make that call... I think an argument can be made (on phone with Brad I actually argued your POV) that there was a slight touch of the KU player by number 2 of MSU that caused his foot to kick back and trip his other foot. So to categorically say it was an "Unbelievable, bad call" may be a stretch. Just a thought.

Still I don't think I would reach that far to get it when it is that close. I think you have to let the trail live and die with that.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

I saw the play. That was a terrible call. I understand if he saw it, but he clearly did not. Reggie Greenwood looked baffled.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
while I agree with your premise that the lead should have never come out to make that call... I think an argument can be made (on phone with Brad I actually argued your POV) that there was a slight touch of the KU player by number 2 of MSU that caused his foot to kick back and trip his other foot. So to categorically say it was an "Unbelievable, bad call" may be a stretch. Just a thought.

Still I don't think I would reach that far to get it when it is that close. I think you have to let the trail live and die with that.
Nope.

Brain cramp by the lead.

If you're gonna call THAT far out of your area, it better be somebody getting punched in the face or the mother of all train wrecks.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

agree that Reggie looked baffled and had every right to be. I would be hacked off as well.

however, I find it strange, Jeff, that you say he clearly did not see it. How do you know? I am not trying to be an a$$ but you are the one that generally makes the argument that unless you talked to him about the play or what he saw you can't pass judgement You are not him and you have not talked with him about what he saw. So what makes this particular scenario different? Serious question and not trying to troll at all.

again, I would never have put air in my whistle but it is possible that there was slight inadvertent contact that caused collins foot to go backwards enough that at that speed it caused him to clip his other foot and go down. I am not sure as replay does not completely rule that possibility out imo.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Nope.

Brain cramp by the lead.

If you're gonna call THAT far out of your area, it better be somebody getting punched in the face or the mother of all train wrecks.
Thumbs down??? You know for sure that there was no contact. Also, I did say that I would not have called that and agree that a call from that far away needs to be non-basketball. All I was arguing is the point that he def tripped over is own feet. He may very well have, but replay indicates that he *may* have been tripped.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I saw the play. That was a terrible call. I understand if he saw it, but he clearly did not. Reggie Greenwood looked baffled.

Peace
Quote:
I always find it interesting how people sit on their couch and claim what officials miss. I wonder if I went to their games and could role back the tape and see what they missed.

Peace

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
agree that Reggie looked baffled and had every right to be. I would be hacked off as well.

however, I find it strange, Jeff, that you say he clearly did not see it. How do you know? I am not trying to be an a$$ but you are the one that generally makes the argument that unless you talked to him about the play or what he saw you can't pass judgement You are not him and you have not talked with him about what he saw. So what makes this particular scenario different? Serious question and not trying to troll at all.
The Kansas player was a step or two ahead of the MSU player. He clearly did not see what happen, he had to guess. When I saw it live, it looked to me like he fell on his own. I am not sure why you claim he could have seen. It was right in front of Reggie and he passed on the play. It looked like Reggie was contemplating calling a BC violation if the player fell on or over the line.

Quote:
again, I would never have put air in my whistle but it is possible that there was slight inadvertent contact that caused collins foot to go backwards enough that at that speed it caused him to clip his other foot and go down. I am not sure as replay does not completely rule that possibility out imo.
I do not know what the Lead could have seen. It looked like he thought there was contact and there clearly was not.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Unlike you I am not claiming he blew the call based on what was ignored. This was clearly missed because there was no contact, not a play that we have to slow down to know what happen on a travel. And this was one call, not something that was chronic all night. Then again, you do not know basics of college officiating. Stick to what you know.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Kansas player was a step or two ahead of the MSU player. He clearly did not see what happen, he had to guess. When I saw it live, it looked to me like he fell on his own. I am not sure why you claim he could have seen. It was right in front of Reggie and he passed on the play. It looked like Reggie was contemplating calling a BC violation if the player fell on or over the line.

I do not know what the Lead could have seen. It looked like he thought there was contact and there clearly was not.

Peace
I never claimed he did see it. I just find your statements that, you know for a fact that he did not see it, to be incongruent with your typical position.

As I have said I did not like the call at all, and I think the trail has every right to be hacked.

Also, box score on USA today does not list Greenwood at all. They have Luckie, Simmons and Stephens. Was it Greenwood after all?
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's what I saw. MSU#2 stepped with his left leg, the one with the black wrap on his calf, and extended it out of his vertical space. The KU player running for the inbounds pass caught his toe on the back of that lower leg and this contact redirected his foot behind his other leg resulting in the tangling of his feet and the trip.

I believe that it was a foul.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I never claimed he did see it. I just find your statements that, you know for a fact that he did not see it, to be incongruent with your typical position.

As I have said I did not like the call at all, and I think the trail has every right to be hacked.

Also, box score on USA today does not list Greenwood at all. They have Luckie, Simmons and Stephens. Was it Greenwood after all?
It looked like Greenwood to me, but the camera angle was so far it was hard to tell on that floor who was working.

Then again it is one call out of a long game. I think the Trail had a better look at the play and that is why Tony started this thread. I said the very same thing in the chat room. And I do not buy the contact before argument, because the Kansas player got away from whatever contact there was. The Kansas player just tripped himself. And this was caused in my opinion because it was so far away from the Lead. The contact if any happened. The contact took outside of the 3 point line. That is a long way to go for the Lead. I would have rather seen a call from the Center.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:39pm
Huck Finn

I just want to step in and say that the T was Michael Stephens and not Reggie Greenwood. I know Reggie and it certainly wasn't him.

Nevada, do you have a link to the play? It didn't look like a foul to me, but I want to look at it again to see what you are saying.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I just want to step in and say that the T was Michael Stephens and not Reggie Greenwood. I know Reggie and it certainly wasn't him.

Nevada, do you have a link to the play? It didn't look like a foul to me, but I want to look at it again to see what you are saying.
Tom...Its 2009 man get a TIVO!!! Just playing with you. Hope to see you around this summer...
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:46pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Tom...Its 2009 man get a TIVO!!! Just playing with you. Hope to see you around this summer...
Are you kidding me? I have two DVRs - trying to keep from paying for a third - and my desktop has a TV tuner card in it. I just wasn't recording the game.

I hope to see you too, but this new ownership group isn't cooperating.