The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Should he stay or should he go

I can’t find my Fed mechanics book and need advice on a situation that came up in last night’s game. U-16 select (but so-so teams). Pregame PU tells BU that he'll be sliding down 3BL with R1 (SOP). He'll let BU know when he’s gonna jump in on a play at 3B.

R1, no outs, runner going on the pitch with a huge running jump on F1. B shoots one in the F3/F4 gap. R1 never slowed down at 2B…long run for F9 to get the ball and PU anticipates R1 scoring attempt. Where does PU go?
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 11:25am
Stop staring at me swan.

stay at home...read the play...why bust your a$$ up the line when you're going to have to turn around and run back to home...I understand that BU could come back for a play at home...but why? if you don't have to...
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Get to the working area about 1/2 way toward third in foul ground. Read the play from there. If the play will be at 3rd, slide into the cutout and make the call. If the play continues to home, go there to make the call.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 03:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Good song.

Da na na na na na na NA!!!!!!

Peace
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Rut, doesn't that song say...

Heeeyyyyy Gooood Bye!!! The perfect ejection song??

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I think he's confusing that with "Should I stay or should I go now" by the Clash.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 05:45pm

So you've got to let me know. . .

Should I cool it or should I blow?

Joe Strummer lives!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Hey...hey...hey...I'm late (nobody wants to hear that song...especially sung by their girlfriend), but I'm not done with this thread yet. We can play name that tune later.

I was PU and read this as a scoring play as soon as I saw R1 never slow down at 2B and shift it into 4th gear, so I stayed at home (unfortunately I didn't communicate this to my partner). R1 hit 3B and got 1/3 of the way home, then put on the breaks and went back to 3B. Cutoff man throws to 3B, but R1 is back and beats the tag by 1-2 seconds. But there is a tag and a safe mechanic is appropriate. I'm back home on 3BLX disappointed that he held up, my partner is in working area/3B side of the mound. My partner points at me and then points at the base, gesturing that that call is mine. Because no one else is making tha call, I make a half-hearted safe sign.

In between inning he have a brief discussion (to be continued after the game)about the coverage. He says that I should have been down at 3B for that play. I told him that I read that as a scoring play all the way. He said that I should have come down 3BL and then bust *** for home if he went. The kid was flying...if I had gotten half way down the line, he'd of been at 3B and passing me a second later while I scrambled to get home and I'd be in no position to make a call at home (if he didn't stop).

I think that I had a good read on the play and though I didn't communicate it, I think that I was in the right place. He insists that I should have been down 3BL to make that call at 3B.

So who has the right to think that their partner left them hanging?
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Pregame: If a we have a runner on 1b and a batted ball leaves the infield I will take the play at 3b if there is one. If a batted ball does not leave the infield it's your call at 3b.

From a position halfway up the line I have never had a runner round 3b and beat me home.

Last edited by DG; Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 12:14am.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair
I can’t find my Fed mechanics book and need advice on a situation that came up in last night’s game. U-16 select (but so-so teams). Pregame PU tells BU that he'll be sliding down 3BL with R1 (SOP). He'll let BU know when he’s gonna jump in on a play at 3B.

R1, no outs, runner going on the pitch with a huge running jump on F1. B shoots one in the F3/F4 gap. R1 never slowed down at 2B…long run for F9 to get the ball and PU anticipates R1 scoring attempt. Where does PU go?
"I'm at third if he comes", the PU yells as he heads for the library. Remembering that a play requires both a ball and a runner, he watches for the throw and the runner. If a play seems certain, "I'm at third, I'm at third" as he head for the cutout.

If the throw gets past F5, and the runner tries for home, the PU busts for home in FAIR territory.

Simple.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
From a position halfway up the line I have never had a runner round 3b and beat me home.
Even at age 50 I can run 45 feet before a HS kid can run 90. But I can't get to where I'd prefer to be (3BLX and set) from 45 feet away. Sometimes you have to and get the best position that you can get, but if there isn't a play at 3B, why risk being in a crappy position at home.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

In this case you didn't have a crappy position for a play at the plate because there wasn't one, instead you were in a crappy position for the play that actually happened. The mechanic of getting half way down to third and staging from the library actually works.

By the why, why would you want to be at the 3blx and set without reading where the runner, ball and tag will be? It's much easier to start at point of the plate and move to either 1blx or 3blx as the play dictates.

-----------------------
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

1. If you are 1/2 way to 3B and the ball is still in the outfield when R1 is approaching 3B at some point you're gonna want to get home. You call out, "Tom, I'm headin back home" and start to hustle back. Agree ? R1 goes 1/3 of the way home, then puts on the brakes and goes back to 3B. The cutoff man throws behind R to 3B. Who's call is this now PU or BU ?

2. Would you go 1/2 way down 3BL with R1 and B hits a gapper past the outfielders and you anticipate a scoring opportunity (or is anticipating wrong)?

I'm not trying to justify my mistakes (I know I made some). What I'm trying to figure out is, if it is acceptable/reasonable/prudent on a R1 sitch, to ever not go 1/2 way to 3B when the ball is not going to be back in the infield before R1 rounds 3B.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair
1. If you are 1/2 way to 3B and the ball is still in the outfield when R1 is approaching 3B at some point you're gonna want to get home. You call out, "Tom, I'm headin back home" and start to hustle back. Agree ? R1 goes 1/3 of the way home, then puts on the brakes and goes back to 3B. The cutoff man throws behind R to 3B. Who's call is this now PU or BU ?

2. Would you go 1/2 way down 3BL with R1 and B hits a gapper past the outfielders and you anticipate a scoring opportunity (or is anticipating wrong)?

I'm not trying to justify my mistakes (I know I made some). What I'm trying to figure out is, if it is acceptable/reasonable/prudent on a R1 sitch, to ever not go 1/2 way to 3B when the ball is not going to be back in the infield before R1 rounds 3B.
If by "anticiapte" you mean "read", then you are correct.

You needn't go 1/2 way up the line to read, but you should be heading in that direction.

And, as yo've noted, communicate both that you are going to third and that you are returning home.

In the play described, I have this as BU's call.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Right. If I'm BU I've got everything at 3B until my partner hollers "I've got third! I've got third!" (cf. Garth's post). I would not complain if my partner went home on this play, and I'd be in position to make the call at 3B.

That said, I would hope for better communication from my partner than it seems from your post that you exhibited.