View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Actually, the play happened even further out - just above the 3pt line.

You look at the beginning of the play, and I can see how lead, who has no action other than two players across the key, might extend his primary here. I'm not sure the centre, from where he is, can see the "trip". You need to be able to see the other (90 degrees away) angle, and all the centre (Wow, you really are Canadian ) likely sees is the Kansas player fall down.

So I'm going to modify my original comments and grant that, on this play, lead is watching the throw-in action away from the ball, which MIGHT include stuff near the top of the circle.

As well, looking at the replay, lead would have had a decent - though FAR AWAY - angle to view the cutter and both defenders. He is also the best out of the three to view the entire play from start to finish.
It appears that the Center official had no one in their area. Usually in this situation in CCA Men's Mechanics, this would be a Center call for that very reason. The Lead needs to be more concerned with plays near the basket. Not to say the Lead could not have been watching some players near the circle, but the Center if they are doing what is normally taught, the Center would have been a much better person to call this. And I am sure the Center was likely looking at this pay. And the Trail did not have a close defender on the throw-in so he can watch more than just watching the person with the ball. And if you are one of those officials that this is not your primary, you cannot be wrong. I have no problem with a call from either Lead or Center, just be right. I know if I had made this call as the Lead, I would want that play back. And that was really the point of this thread in the first place.

Peace