The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 11:12pm
Huck Finn

When coaches run things

Tell me what you think of this hypothetical (wink) situation.

What if coaches had the power to block an official? Nothing out of the ordinary except coaches use it when an official handles business correctly. Of course, when this happens there is no investigation to see if the block is justified - the official is just blocked. Oh yeah, it isn't out of the ordinary for a coach to say "You will never come to my school again" during a game.

That is high school.

What if a coach could call the assigner and tell him he didn't want to see an official and when that happens enough the assigner fires the official because "I can't send you anywhere." Again, no investigation to see if it is justified.

Additionally, coaches say all kinds of things like "Hey, can you tell Joe to quit calling those p***y fouls" and no technical foul is given. Coaches ride officials on a nightly basis.

When certain things happened the assigner asked why the officials didn't give a coach a technical foul. Keep in mind, the official can get "fired" for handling business correctly, but on the other hand can be in the "doghouse" for not handling business.

That is college basketball and the assigner is a D1 official who goes deep in the tournament every year.

Let me change my location!
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 11:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I didn't realize you were in Vegas now, Tom. When did that happen?

It sure would be horrible for somoene to have to put up with that crap; might make a person re-consider his desire to officiate.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:01am
Huck Finn

Well, I retired from the Air Force and moved back home to Vegas. I've only been back for a week. It feels good to be back.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Congrats on the retirement. I was assuming a PCS to Nellis. I'll be heading your way in April for work, hope the weather is good.

So, back to your OP. You talking about the Gulf Coast issues you hinted at so often?

Never mind, I forgot this was hypothetical.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Mar 26, 2009 at 12:12am.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Well, I retired from the Air Force and moved back home to Vegas. I've only been back for a week. It feels good to be back.
Congrats my man! I hope to see you this summer.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:21am
Huck Finn

Yes, it is hypothetical. And yes, it does make you wonder why you even bother to leave the house.

I would imagine, if this was a real situation, that $75 for a double-header isn't too good either.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 05:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Well, I retired from the Air Force and moved back home to Vegas.
Congrats on your retirement! Well deserved I'm sure. Enjoy!!

Keep an eye on Tricare!! (One military retiree to another! )
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 08:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Tomegun, I'll be in Vegas in May for a wedding. I'm pretty sure you know the groom. I'm still at Langley so you know my email address. Send me an email.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Active coaches should not have input to which officials work their games or rating of officials. Officials end up scared to take care of business. I've also seen it lead to officials spending WAY to much time with coaches, both before and during games.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Active coaches should not have input to which officials work their games or rating of officials. Officials end up scared to take care of business. I've also seen it lead to officials spending WAY to much time with coaches, both before and during games.
Coaches do blackball officials on rare occasions. If multiple coaches have issues with an official, that official needs to work on either their judgment or their people skills. This is a people business, like evry other one. Life's not always fair.

Coaches can also provide the checks and balances needed to hold all parties accountable. The NCAA, schools, and officials are analogous to the executive, legislative, and judicial branches. Freedom dictates that having all3 of these makes sure that all 3 are held accountable.

We are no different than judges. Very important, but there has to be a check and balance on us. If people politic too much or are afraid to make calls, their peers should hammer them accordingly. The problem nobody discusses--98% of officials are afraid to provide much criticism because they are petrified of how it can come back and affect them. That's one great thing about this forum, people are unafraid to make statements because they fear no backlash. That's how people learn.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 03:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It sure would be horrible for somoene to have to put up with that crap; might make a person re-consider his desire to officiate.
Yeah, but you don't really, really think anything like that really ever happens, do you??? I mean, what kind of an assignor would that be?? And who would want to keep working for that assignor????
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Coaches do blackball officials on rare occasions.
Rare? :-) I have seen several excellent officials get blackballed because they had the guts to take care of business with a couple coaches that other officials were intimidated by. I work in a conference where coaches don't have input to an official but they do provide comments which we get to see. They are good for entertainment (very funny), but not much else.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Rare? :-) I have seen several excellent officials get blackballed because they had the guts to take care of business with a couple coaches that other officials were intimidated by.
I agree. Then again where I am from, it is up the assignor to put their foot down. Some have the courage, some do not.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Yeah, but you don't really, really think anything like that really ever happens, do you??? I mean, what kind of an assignor would that be?? And who would want to keep working for that assignor????
It's almost as if you two are having a conversation, except for the part that involves actually saying something intelligible.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 05:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Tell me what you think of this hypothetical (wink) situation.

What if coaches had the power to block an official? Nothing out of the ordinary except coaches use it when an official handles business correctly. Of course, when this happens there is no investigation to see if the block is justified - the official is just blocked. Oh yeah, it isn't out of the ordinary for a coach to say "You will never come to my school again" during a game.

That is high school.

What if a coach could call the assigner and tell him he didn't want to see an official and when that happens enough the assigner fires the official because "I can't send you anywhere." Again, no investigation to see if it is justified.

Additionally, coaches say all kinds of things like "Hey, can you tell Joe to quit calling those p***y fouls" and no technical foul is given. Coaches ride officials on a nightly basis!

Tomegun:

In Ohio this is not a hypothetical. It is official policy. The coaches call the shots in the regular season and the post-season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio