The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

All;

In case Little League umpires feel that they are the only ones that have to listen to stupid things that coaches say, read the following:

Last night I was working a game in the Valley League. This is a league of excellent college players played in a professional environment. There were about 600 paid attendance, numerous minor league style promotions, and all manner of bells and whistles. (No umpires' dressing room, yet. We aren't that high on the food chain!)

The home team came into the game with a record of 2-13 and the visiors had a record of 13-3 so we were expecting a blowout.

Lo and behold, the home team is miraculously up 2-0 in late innings when one of the visitors steals second. At this point in the game there had been absolutely no controversy about anything. Anyway, I called him safe and the home team coach came running onto the field and yelled:

"You wanted him to be safe. You are determined to help the other team."

I had had no close calls up to this point (and I had no close calls afterward) so I was surprised at his comment. It was so absurd that I had to stifle a laugh. I said. "That's one of the most riduculous things that I have ever heard. All umpires want outs. Furthermore, if the home team wins, that's 3 fewer outs that I have to call."

He turned around and went back to the dugout and the rest of the game was played without any further ado. Home team prevailed 2-1.

He was just putting on a show for his team and the home team fans. At least he could have said something more intelligent.

Oh well!

Peter
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I agree completely: my kind of game is a no hitter, shut out for both teams, until the last inning, when the team that makes the least number of mistakes wins the game!
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

In case Little League umpires feel that they are the only ones that have to listen to stupid things that coaches say, read the following:

Last night I was working a game in the Valley League. This is a league of excellent college players played in a professional environment. There were about 600 paid attendance, numerous minor league style promotions, and all manner of bells and whistles. (No umpires' dressing room, yet. We aren't that high on the food chain!)

The home team came into the game with a record of 2-13 and the visiors had a record of 13-3 so we were expecting a blowout.

Lo and behold, the home team is miraculously up 2-0 in late innings when one of the visitors steals second. At this point in the game there had been absolutely no controversy about anything. Anyway, I called him safe and the home team coach came running onto the field and yelled:

I had had no close calls up to this point (and I had no close calls afterward) so I was surprised at his comment. It was so absurd that I had to stifle a laugh. I said. "That's one of the most riduculous things that I have ever heard. All umpires want outs. Furthermore, if the home team wins, that's 3 fewer outs that I have to call."

He turned around and went back to the dugout and the rest of the game was played without any further ado. Home team prevailed 2-1.

He was just putting on a show for his team and the home team fans. At least he could have said something more intelligent.

Oh well!

Peter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~`
I work a few of those types, called semi-pro here, last years opener, I get a late phone call, "ya wanna work, get out here".First game, 9 innings in just under 1:45, I had third in a three man. Second game, scheduled 7, we worked 2 man, I again on sacks. Visiting team from South SF area is very good as are the local guys. Visitors maybe rolled 2 DP's the first 1/2 of the second game, seemed like home had better middle infielders, they musta rolled bout 10 DP's(game went 17). After the 4th or 5th DP by home, Visiting skippy comes running out, stops at foul line and asks for time...granted...He then casually walks to me and sez, "GODDA###T, Chris, you can't make it automatic!!!(the back 1/2 of the DP)YOU JUST CAN"T". I sez, "What is automatic? The outs that ARE outs?" Then, before he really blows a gasket, "Mike(or whatever his name was)this is kids nite here, they all got in free, look around..." Then under his breath, "Goda### Chris, awww....F##### it"

Really amazing part, home had an ace on the hill, side-armer I used to work in FED ball, they couldn't touch him. Home got the lead-off batter on the last 5 innings and would bunt him to second. Then visitors would IBB the next guy and roll 2. Finally in the 17th, visitors F7 made a lousy(I wanna go drink beer) effort on a lazy fly..game over
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Coach: HOW DID HE STRIKE OUT!? BLUE!
me: uh...coach, he swung...
Coach: oh
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

to the moon, skip. "you're done." too much of a personal attack to me, later on.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ridiculous things that coaches say

I posted this earlier this month on a different forum and I'll share it here also:

"Another "Coachism"

Here's one for you.....Slight drizzle and when the pitcher releases the ball toward the plate it slips from her hand and hits the on deck batter, Ive got ball one. As F2 is returning the ball to F1 the offensive coach requests time saying she doesn't understand how I could call a ball on this pitch, the coach is beside herself with anger. I explained the ball crossed the foul line out of the strike zone and was a ball. Offensive coach asks me if I saw the ball hit her player and when I responded yes, she insists that I award the player 1st base. I finally get her back to the dugout and I get back behind the plate, as I'm about to put the ball in play, out comes the defensive coach wanting to know what's going on. I tell him that I've got ball one on the batter. Now the defensive coach goes nuts, he wants the player who got hit called out. His logic was that since F1 threw the pitch to the on deck batter, she was batting out of turn and should be called out. I finally get him back to the dugout and resume play.

Michael

Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ridiculous things that coaches say

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
Here's one for you.....Slight drizzle and when the pitcher releases the ball toward the plate it slips from her hand and hits the on deck batter, Ive got ball one. As F2 is returning the ball to F1 the offensive coach requests time saying she doesn't understand how I could call a ball on this pitch, the coach is beside herself with anger. I explained the ball crossed the foul line out of the strike zone and was a ball. Offensive coach asks me if I saw the ball hit her player and when I responded yes, she insists that I award the player 1st base. I finally get her back to the dugout and I get back behind the plate, as I'm about to put the ball in play, out comes the defensive coach wanting to know what's going on. I tell him that I've got ball one on the batter. Now the defensive coach goes nuts, he wants the player who got hit called out. His logic was that since F1 threw the pitch to the on deck batter, she was batting out of turn and should be called out. I finally get him back to the dugout and resume play.
Now that's the funniest, and most ridiculous, exchange I've read since I've been involved in umpiring! Well done, Michael.

ROTFLMAO
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Good line

I got a good line from a pretty funny dad back behind me. There had been some questions on my strike zone already because these guys were all about 4 foot tall...so after a slide in at home plate I call time and brush off the plate and hear "Thanks blue, I just knew you'd find it" I got a good laugh and the guy was almost irritated that it didn't get to me.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

"Keep on going, all the way to the parking lot. No one impugns my integrity."

Bob

Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 07:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Too stunned to eject this bozo, Peter, or would that have not been the right thing to do politically?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
My most recent one came from a coach in the Seniors division of Little League.. I had called out there a few times already this season but this was the first time I had called his team. When a forth or fifth call didn't go his way, he started ranting that it's no wonder I had never been out there before and then accused me of being the traveling umpire for the opposing team. I was trying so hard to not laugh that I didn't even think about tossing him for questioning my integrity.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Too stunned to eject this bozo, Peter, or would that have not been the right thing to do politically?
Rich;

Mostly, I was trying to hard to supress a laugh. Usually that kind of comment will get an instant ejection but since only me and the infielders heard the coach, I let it pass.

Our assignor is of the opinion that if you can make the coach look like an a$$, that is better than ejecting him. And finally, I have to write ejection reports when I throw a coach out and since I don't get paid for those reports, I usually won't waste my time ejecting someone unless it is absolutely necessary.

Peter
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I remember one this one game a couple years ago when I had to throw out an entire bench, stands and eventhe people behind the 300 fence.

I mentioned this before, but a kid dropped his shoulder, and flipped a runner stealing home. The kid went home in an ambulance, and I threw out the football player. Parents went wild when I threw the catcher out. Then the coach tried to calm them down, but too late...I pointed to three people and said "You, you, you, go!" Then there was a small family behind the 300 line that kept yappin at my partner, so I told them "you, you AND you, out!"...eventually I called the game because the coach couldn't control his players,parents or fans. (they were losing 10 - 1) and were in the bottom of the inning.

My partner was gettin antsy, since it was his first season, and to take any heat off him, I played the "bad cop." (and he actually WAS calling a decent game)

The commissioners for our leagues came out of the concession stands and took the coach and had a "chat" with him.

It was like a ticker tape parade when we left the field out the homeside!

But since then, i've learned to have a "thicker skin" and ignore some of those comments. But whenever they attack my partner that day, all he has to do is give me a thumbs up, and I get trigger happy.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wolf -
Many things are missing from your statement.
What did the kid stealing home do? Was he preparing for contact? Did he drop his shoulder first? etc...
As best as I can tell, if a catcher has the ball and is waiting for the runner, he can not initiate contact. The runner can chose to slide, retreat, attempt to go around, or bowl over the catcher. If the runner choses any of the first three, there is no ejection required for anybody, unless the runner comes in spikes up. If he has chosen the fourth option then who has initiated the contact and how can you toss a catcher for protecting himself?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Kid was trying to slide, other kid lowered his shoulder and flipped him over (catcher did)...my previous post left out the words "your out fatboy!" The Catcher knew what he was doing, infact he balked I believe by getting OUT of the catchers box and stepping infront of the batter.

In Youth ball, there is no "contact" of that sort. It was clearly listed in the leagues rules. We call it the "MUST SLIDE RULE"

And the catcher was NOT protecting himself, if he wanted to protect himself, he could move out the way and tag him at the same time. In either case, if the catcher WANTED to protect himself, it is foolish to step infront of another player who has a 32inch bat.

I apoligize for the ambiguity

I believe the decision to throw him out was unsportsmanlike conduct, which it clearly was, the coach agreed (the only person on that team to see our point of view, he was calm throughout the game, but just couldn't control his team or fans...)...and so did the league commisioners.

But yes, otherwise, I would agree with you, in the situation where the Runner and Catcher were just doing "thier jobs"

[Edited by Lonewolf986 on Jul 7th, 2003 at 01:27 PM]