The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Do you remember the first game you officiated?

Not counting the ones I worked with Dr. Naismith, here's mine.

The park district in the Chicago suburb in which I lived decided to start a rec program for Jr. HS boys. They asked those of us who had umpired park district baseball the previous year if we "knew how to referee basketball". I had worked baseball for all of two years and I told them "Sure, I can work basketball." All I knew about the game was what I had seen on television and in watching my HS games. This was January of my junior year in HS.

My first game was between two 7th grade teams. I was partnered up with another HS kid. The games were played in a gym at city hall, which originally was the old high school building. I remember I had a blue whistle I bought at Woolworth's. The park district gave us some striped shirts and we wore blue Levis and white high top gym shoes. We did the best we could and there really weren't many complaints at all. I do remember calling a shooting foul on a missed shot right before the end of the game when the game was tied and the kid made one of the free throws. Hey - NO OVERTIMES - even then.

BTW - this was 1964.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Yep, November 2001. Intramural game at Langley AFB, VA. Off the opening tip A1 gets a break-away lay-up. After ball is clearly through the basket B1 slaps the backboard. I whistle a T. My vet partner overrules me and waves off the T.

After the game, a buddy of mine who had been officiating about 2-3 years (and is now a D1 official) told me I had made the right call and the vet shouldn't have waved off my T.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Sure Do

My first game was a Jr High Game for my hopd high school but I wasn't a certified official at the time and it was just a scrimmage. My first real action was a varsity boys scrimmage followed by a jr high girls game. I remember my first call in that game was GREEN. No signal I just blew the whistle and yelled the color. I settled in after that. 8 years later, I have learned a lot since that first game, finished this year off with a District Championship and a couple state playoff games. I have grown a lot since that first experience. Much to do with great officials like many of you that like to help young bucks like me along. It is very much appreciated.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Not counting the ones I worked with Dr. Naismith, here's mine.

The park district in the Chicago suburb in which I lived decided to start a rec program for Jr. HS boys. They asked those of us who had umpired park district baseball the previous year if we "knew how to referee basketball". I had worked baseball for all of two years and I told them "Sure, I can work basketball." All I knew about the game was what I had seen on television and in watching my HS games. This was January of my junior year in HS.

My first game was between two 7th grade teams. I was partnered up with another HS kid. The games were played in a gym at city hall, which originally was the old high school building. I remember I had a blue whistle I bought at Woolworth's. The park district gave us some striped shirts and we wore blue Levis and white high top gym shoes. We did the best we could and there really weren't many complaints at all. I do remember calling a shooting foul on a missed shot right before the end of the game when the game was tied and the kid made one of the free throws. Hey - NO OVERTIMES - even then.

BTW - this was 1964.
October 1987. I had graduated high school in June. They played Junior High ball in the fall and I worked with some people who, as it turned out, didn't know what they were doing, either.

I don't remember a lot of the details, but I do remember getting lost on my way to a lot of the rural schools I had to go to. Then I worked JV and Freshman ball in the winter. My first varsity game was in 1990.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Do you remember the first game you officiated?
Yup. I was 17. There was some political crap going on in my local and as a result, I received zero training. Bottom line: I sucked, and big time. I quit, and didn't try again until years later. Coincidentally enough, when I re-started, there was political stuff going on, and way way deeper too.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, what suburb did you live in?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Mark, what suburb did you live in?
Chicago Heights. Home of Jerry Colangelo, Bret Saberhagen and Jim Bouton. Oh yeah, and me.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Gotcha. Ever do a game at Rolling Meadows High School?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Gotcha. Ever do a game at Rolling Meadows High School?
No way. That's way up on the north side. Probably all Cubs fans.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No way. That's way up on the north side. Probably all Cubs fans.
Indeed
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Do I remember??

You never forget your first...

Other than the fact that I was completely and totally awful, the funny thing was my 18 month old son. He was sitting right at the division line with my husband. He'd see me run toward him, and light up with glee, and then as I'd run past he'd start to cry. And then we'd go back the other way and do it all again! Poor kid, he'll probably need counselling for life!
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

December 1999. I was coaching girls athletics (Basketball and Track) at the High School in a small central Texas town. Another coach (JV Boys BB) came in and said, "hey the officials did not show up for the JH boys game at the JH and they need us to go officiate the 2 games." Off we went in our coaching shorts and t-shirts with our "thunderer" whistles. I was beyond horrible . . . in fact, horrible was in the stands and kept yelling, "YOU SUCK!"

I called that one time that year, didn't call again until the next season, but I was hooked. That was 10 years and about 2200 games ago.

Can't imagine not doing it now. It becomes a part of you . . .
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

June 2007 was the first time I was on the court. It was a clinic/camp for our association, and it was 3-whistle. I was so clueless it's hilarious now. Had a metal whistle with the pea in it with a white lanyard that I tied to the loop on my shirt to make it look like a Smitty lanyard. I don't remember what I called or didn't call, but I'm sure I looked terrible.

First real game was a JH girls game in Septemer of that year. I wasn't much better than in June. I thought I really improved throughout the season though and was leaps and bounds above where I was at the start of the year. Now after my second year it feels like June of 2007 was forever ago.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 01:00am
Do not give a damn!!

I worked a 5th and 6th grade girls game in September of 1996. I was so bad it was not funny. I could not get my hand up. I just blew my whistle for no real reason. I did not know how to report fouls. It was just awful. But it was a lot of fun and that is why I am here today.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Fond memories

I sure do. August 1986, just after my 12th birthday. Did a 2 hour referees course with my Dad. He and I did our first game together that week, an Under 19s boys game. One player gave me a bit of a hard time, mainly based on my age (and I was skinny and wore glasses). He picked up two Ts, both from me, got ejected and then copped crap from his team mates and the opposition about being booted by a kid I immediately got a rep as a bit of a hardarse that wouldn't take any rubbish

I know that my old man really loved refereeing with me, at the time I didn't see what the big deal was - but it sure is something I miss now!

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee