The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Very well officiated D-I game last night

I watched in person last night as Steve Welmer, Ed Hightower, and Brad Ferrie called a great game with Missouri vs. Kansas State. A few theatrics, as both Steve and Ed like to make sure you know what they're calling, but overall one of the best-officiated games I've seen all year (probably have watched 10 D-I games in person).

Also a lot of fun to watch them work with two pretty outspoken coaches in Mike Anderson and Bob Huggins. Saw Huggins get the "stop" sign from Hightower once and Ferrie spent quite a bit of time with Anderson on occasion. Welmer seemed to end up on their side of the court a lot and had some pretty lengthy conversations.

Anyway - as a relatively inexperienced official focusing totally on NFHS for now, what do you recommend I watch (regarding officials) when at an NCAA game, and what's best to disregard? I know some things apply and some don't between the levels, but I'd be interested in what others look for when watching NCAA officiating, especially if you're not an NCAA official yourself.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the most part watch calls and no-calls. The best thing about watching D1 college games are to see how officials call the game. They do not calling ticky tack calls that do not affect play. I personally feel that the best thing is to simply watch the judgment. After this, watch how officials handle players and coaches. I think D1 officials are some of the best at how they behave when coaches and players are getting goofy. Their body language is similar to the NBA but they are dealing with amateur players in an amateur environment. NBA officials are dealing with men and the expectations of that interaction which can learn from do not require the same style.

I attend the Big Ten Tournament every year and I have learned how to handle coaches better by watching an Ed Hightower, Ted Hilary and Donnie Gray just to name a few.

Also understand that when you watch veterans that have been around for 20+ years they have mechanics or an officiating style that is different. If you watch any sport 20 years ago or more and watch the officials, you will see a drastic difference in the mechanics used. So you cannot use the same standard for newer officials to what Hightower or Welmer does. But you can learn how they call the game because many of their calls are absolutely right on.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I attend the Big Ten Tournament every year and I have learned how to handle coaches better by watching an Ed Hightower, Ted Hilary and Donnie Gray just to name a few.

Also understand that when you watch veterans that have been around for 20+ years they have mechanics or an officiating style that is different. If you watch any sport 20 years ago or more and watch the officials, you will see a drastic difference in the mechanics used.
jdw, as example.

Donnee Gray is a excellent official with great judgement and communication skills. However there are some mechanics he employs that you could not get away with. He back-pedals down the court sometimes as the new Lead and he often stands on the inside of the thrower-in as the Lead during frontcourt throw-ins.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
he often stands on the inside of the thrower-in as the Lead during frontcourt throw-ins.
This is an approved mechanic. You have the option of staying inside or outside of the thrower. I will have to review the CCA Manual, but it has been an option in the NF for sure. I do not personally like the mechanic, but there is an option.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is an approved mechanic. You have the option of staying inside or outside of the thrower. I will have to review the CCA Manual, but it has been an option in the NF for sure. I do not personally like the mechanic, but there is an option.

Peace
I use the mechanic a lot. How about when a throw in from the baseline in the front court is at the intersection of the 3-point line? If I stand outside the thrower, I'm basically off the court. If the offense tries a dish to a post player for a quick layup, I'm totally out of the play.

By standing on the inside on situations like these, you can get a better view. I agree that as a general basis you should stand on the outside. However, in cases like these it is very important that you get that "inside-out" look.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGARef
I use the mechanic a lot. How about when a throw in from the baseline in the front court is at the intersection of the 3-point line? If I stand outside the thrower, I'm basically off the court. If the offense tries a dish to a post player for a quick layup, I'm totally out of the play.

By standing on the inside on situations like these, you can get a better view. I agree that as a general basis you should stand on the outside. However, in cases like these it is very important that you get that "inside-out" look.
Do you have a problem in 2 man when you are outside?

If the ball is out on the baseline, you can pretty much put the ball in anywhere on the baseline. I do not throw on the end line right where the ball went out. So I put them usually in the between the sideline and the FT lane line. It is usually not a problem and whether a player takes the ball a few steps one way or another step the other way. I am not saying you should never use it, I just personally do not like it and I would not teach against it.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I don't watch too much for calls or no-calls, mechanics, or rules. Those are going to be much different in the kinds of games I do. I watch to see where the refs are looking, and what they're watching for. It's usually not that hard to tell. It gives me a feel for how to get an angle, and when to be focusing where.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
jdw, as example.

Donnee Gray is a excellent official with great judgement and communication skills. However there are some mechanics he employs that you could not get away with. He back-pedals down the court sometimes as the new Lead and he often stands on the inside of the thrower-in as the Lead during frontcourt throw-ins.
I never back-pedal, I have too much fear.

As for standing inside as L for an endline throw-in...so what?

3 man the T has that sideline so who cares. And where's the ball gonna end up if everything goes according to plan? That's right, the basket - which happens to be inside, not outside, on every endline throw in.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:03pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
If the ball is out on the baseline, you can pretty much put the ball in anywhere on the baseline. I do not throw on the end line right where the ball went out. So I put them usually in the between the sideline and the FT lane line.
I don't agree with this. Tell me if something has changed in the manual, but as far as I know, we are supposed to put the ball in where it went out unless it goes out in the lane area. If what you are saying is true, what would be the difference if the ball went out on the sideline?
If something in the manual has changed, then it is OK to put the ball in play anyplace along the endline. If things haven't changed, the ball is supposed to be put in where it went out or close (by the diagram).
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I don't agree with this. Tell me if something has changed in the manual, but as far as I know, we are supposed to put the ball in where it went out unless it goes out in the lane area. If what you are saying is true, what would be the difference if the ball went out on the sideline?
If something in the manual has changed, then it is OK to put the ball in play anyplace along the endline. If things haven't changed, the ball is supposed to be put in where it went out or close (by the diagram).
So you are telling me that you have to under no circumstances put the ball at the exact point of where the ball went out no matter what. So if I am on a court that has the words "PANTHERS" on the end line (I am watching the Loyola and North Central on ESPN2 right now) and the ball goes out on the "P" we cannot move the player to the "A" or the "N" under no circumstance? You are going to have to show me that reference that you cannot do that. I am talking about a couple of steps, not from one side of the court to the other. Also, I have never had a coach care in that situation before. I have even seen guys take the ball out to the opposite side of the court and not seen anyone say anything about it (I would not do that).

Peace
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:46pm
Huck Finn

I'm only talking about the fact that you said you can put the ball anywhere on the endline. I'm not going to split hairs with a foot one way or the other. Now that I have (somewhat) answered your question, can you answer mine? Do you really put the ball anywhere or do you put the ball at the spot, or pretty close, to where it is supposed to be?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I never back-pedal, I have too much fear.
There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Well, maybe what's under your bed too, but I wouldn't worry about that. Or what's in your closet either. Nope, when you go to bed tonight and turn the lights out, just say to yourself "Self, there's nothing to fear but fear itself". I'm almost sure that everything will be OK.

Is your insurance premium paid up?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Is your insurance premium paid up?
I'm almost sure it is
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am talking about a couple of steps, not from one side of the court to the other. Also, I have never had a coach care in that situation before.

Peace
As long as it is just a couple of feet it is fine, but if you go more than that you could really change a teams options and put them at a disadvantage. I officiate but also coach our freshmen boys and I have 3 OOB plays that do not work well at all if we are more than 5 feet from the normal spot just outside the lane for our throw in.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:32pm
Huck Finn

Coach (MJT), we aren't talking about allowing you to set up your play. We are talking about putting the ball where it rightfully belongs on the endline instead of just deciding where the ball should be inbounded. BTW, that is exactly what an official would be doing, plus or minus a foot, if they decide where to put the ball in play. Rut, what do you use to determine where you are going to put the ball into play?