The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Possible Nine Foot Wide Designated Spot ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef View Post
He actually may have maintained one foot on or over the 3 foot throw in spot, which would not be a violation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The 3 foot spot is not that big. It's not three feet in each direction, it's three feet total; 1.5 feet in each direction. I haven't seen the play, so I can't say what I think it was, but there is not a lot of room for lateral movement on a spot throwin.
Snaqwells: Sorry, but I beg to differ. The designated "spot" is three feet wide. He can move as much as he wants within that "spot", also, the inbounder is only required to have one foot over that three foot wide "spot". If he's on the left side of that "spot", he can take one step to the left, still keeping his right foot over the designated "spot". If he's over on the right side of that "spot", he can take one step to the right, still keeping his left foot over the designated "spot". Remember, the "spot" itself is three feet wide. If the player is tall enough, he can probably step at least three feet to the left, and three feet to the right, for a total of nine feet, without violating, as long as this is completed in less than five seconds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)