The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

OOB Spot Throw In Violation???

I want to make sure I've got this right in my head...

JV B game last night. Spot throw-in on the baseline. Player with the throw-in jumps up and then lands...partner calls violation. Is it a violation for a player to go "up and down" while OOB? I don't think it is, but the varsity guys that were there for the next game wouldn't say one way or the other...they were trying to be "cool" and just kept on saying it was a "spot throw in..." Okay...the player stayed in the spot...he just jumped.

So...is it a violation or not?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Not a violation.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Maybe you should have explained to your partner the meaning of the phrase "on or over".
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142

JV B game last night. Spot throw-in on the baseline. Player with the throw-in jumps up and then lands...partner calls violation. Is it a violation for a player to go "up and down" while OOB? I don't think it is, but the varsity guys that were there for the next game wouldn't say one way or the other...they were trying to be "cool" and just kept on saying it was a "spot throw in..." Okay...the player stayed in the spot...he just jumped.

Not the old Up and Down violation... Up and down OOB is as much a violation as is the travel and double dribble OOB.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142

On spot throw-ins the player has a 3' wide area that he/she is required to keep @ least one foot OVER. not necessarily on, with no restrictions as to how far back they can go. The player can jump, move side to side in the 3' area (keeping one foot over it), and go back (I.E.) 10' if the court allows it.

No violation!
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

The 3' wide area is what I kept referencing, but no one agreed! I was getting REALLY frustrated, so I just let it go. I indicated that since there's no such thing as travelling OOB, the player has no pivot, can't go "up and down" or double dribble! The ONLY violation for OOB is the player stepping OVER the line or the defender crossing the plane or touching the ball OOB (that would be a T). It can get frustrating, can it not?!

Of course, the coaches both thought it was the right call. Everyone reacted to the "violation." Probably would've been worse had my partner NOT called it, but it wasn't a violation. Partner said, "Hey, neither coach thought it was a bad call...so it worked out." BUT IT ISN'T A VIOLATION! Those pesky rules!

Last edited by bigdog5142; Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 02:19pm.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I had a JV game Monday night where the same kid had THREE violations on spot throw ins on the baseline. They weren't even close and one was when they were taking the ball out on the baseline in the front court. He was running all over the place. I couldn't believe it...until i gave him the ball for a throw-in on the sideline and he says, "can i move?". Wow.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
I had a JV game Monday night where the same kid had THREE violations on spot throw ins on the baseline. They weren't even close and one was when they were taking the ball out on the baseline in the front court. He was running all over the place. I couldn't believe it...until i gave him the ball for a throw-in on the sideline and he says, "can i move?". Wow.
Three on the same kid. You would think the coach would change who was throwing the ball in.

Something that always helps here, and you might do it, right before handing the ball to the thrower reminding them that its a, "spot" or "you can run," throw-in. Usually you wouldn't do that on frontcourt throw-in's, but in this case if I have had one I think I would be reminding them.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Three on the same kid. You would think the coach would change who was throwing the ball in.

Something that always helps here, and you might do it, right before handing the ball to the thrower reminding them that its a, "spot" or "you can run," throw-in. Usually you wouldn't do that on frontcourt throw-in's, but in this case if I have had one I think I would be reminding them.
Yeah i finally had him in the BC on a throw in on the endline towards the end of the game and before i handed him the ball i said, "you're not going to move this time are you?" and he said "i hope not".
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 05:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
On spot throw-ins the player has a 3' wide area that he/she is required to keep @ least one foot OVER. not necessarily on, with no restrictions as to how far back they can go. The player can jump, move side to side in the 3' area (keeping one foot over it), and go back (I.E.) 10' if the court allows it.
They can also do the hokey-pokey.