The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:15am
Ref Ump Welsch

FED Survey

The good old FED survey is out again. They're utilizing the Survey Monkey website (how ironic! We have Howler Monkeys!). Several questions are related to the rules changes we had this year, whether they worked or not, and whether we saw more or less of certain actions. There are several "ideas" listed as well, some rule changes (halves and shot clocks by state adoption) as well as some mechanics changes (mostly related to the free throw administration).

What made me laugh was there was one question listed as: BAD QUESTION: Do NOT Answer!
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
The good old FED survey is out again. They're utilizing the Survey Monkey website (how ironic! We have Howler Monkeys!). Several questions are related to the rules changes we had this year, whether they worked or not, and whether we saw more or less of certain actions. There are several "ideas" listed as well, some rule changes (halves and shot clocks by state adoption) as well as some mechanics changes (mostly related to the free throw administration).

What made me laugh was there was one question listed as: BAD QUESTION: Do NOT Answer!

I was tempted to answer NO to do not answer.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I was tempted to answer NO to do not answer.
Subversive.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I already pre-game that T&L/C&L watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Mar 18, 2009 at 12:15am.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I already pre-game that T&L/T&C watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.
Ditto!!! unless the guys I'm working with object (and I've had a few) this is what I do in my games.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post

Is this something that anyone can take? if so please post the URL, if not, then well nevermind
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
https://www.nfhs.org/custom/calendar/default.aspx

The basketball rules meeting is in April, but comment/survey deadline passed 3-9-09 according to the website.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I already pre-game that T&L/T&C watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.
I have never understood the people who want to watch opposite for violations AND rebounding action. Let's call across the lane AND through a crowd of people. This especially makes sense when the L positions him/herself wide outside the lane (sarcasm). These people never seem to have a rational in pre-game for this philosophy when confronted on their reasoning.

On a side note, I worked with an official last year who made the state tournament this year. He was the R for the game and wanted to split the responsibilities between the T and C 80/20. I guess the manual is just a suggestion. Was that change listed on the survey?
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
I have never understood the people who want to watch opposite for violations AND rebounding action. Let's call across the lane AND through a crowd of people. This especially makes sense when the L positions him/herself wide outside the lane (sarcasm). These people never seem to have a rational in pre-game for this philosophy when confronted on their reasoning.

On a side note, I worked with an official last year who made the state tournament this year. He was the R for the game and wanted to split the responsibilities between the T and C 80/20. I guess the manual is just a suggestion. Was that change listed on the survey?
Did the 80/20 split make the survey? Ummm, no. Must've just missed the cut.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 04:41pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
https://www.nfhs.org/custom/calendar/default.aspx

The basketball rules meeting is in April, but comment/survey deadline passed 3-9-09 according to the website.
That's ironic because the FED didn't email out the link to the survey till AFTER that date. Maybe a glitch?

As for the bad question, I wanted to answer NO just to see if blew up the survey's server or some really awesome action that could be traced back to me somehow, and I'd have stories for the grandkids some day!