The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FED Survey (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52326-fed-survey.html)

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:15am

FED Survey

The good old FED survey is out again. They're utilizing the Survey Monkey website (how ironic! We have Howler Monkeys!). Several questions are related to the rules changes we had this year, whether they worked or not, and whether we saw more or less of certain actions. There are several "ideas" listed as well, some rule changes (halves and shot clocks by state adoption) as well as some mechanics changes (mostly related to the free throw administration).

What made me laugh was there was one question listed as: BAD QUESTION: Do NOT Answer! :D

fullor30 Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 588965)
The good old FED survey is out again. They're utilizing the Survey Monkey website (how ironic! We have Howler Monkeys!). Several questions are related to the rules changes we had this year, whether they worked or not, and whether we saw more or less of certain actions. There are several "ideas" listed as well, some rule changes (halves and shot clocks by state adoption) as well as some mechanics changes (mostly related to the free throw administration).

What made me laugh was there was one question listed as: BAD QUESTION: Do NOT Answer! :D

I was tempted to answer NO to do not answer.

mbyron Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 588969)
I was tempted to answer NO to do not answer.

Subversive.

Back In The Saddle Tue Mar 17, 2009 04:55pm

I already pre-game that T&L/C&L watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.

eyezen Tue Mar 17, 2009 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 589067)
I already pre-game that T&L/T&C watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.

Ditto!!! unless the guys I'm working with object (and I've had a few) this is what I do in my games.

eyezen Tue Mar 17, 2009 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 588965)

Is this something that anyone can take? if so please post the URL, if not, then well nevermind

26 Year Gap Tue Mar 17, 2009 05:17pm

https://www.nfhs.org/custom/calendar/default.aspx

The basketball rules meeting is in April, but comment/survey deadline passed 3-9-09 according to the website.

jalons Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 589067)
I already pre-game that T&L/T&C watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.

I have never understood the people who want to watch opposite for violations AND rebounding action. Let's call across the lane AND through a crowd of people. This especially makes sense when the L positions him/herself wide outside the lane (sarcasm). These people never seem to have a rational in pre-game for this philosophy when confronted on their reasoning.

On a side note, I worked with an official last year who made the state tournament this year. He was the R for the game and wanted to split the responsibilities between the T and C 80/20. I guess the manual is just a suggestion. Was that change listed on the survey?

Back In The Saddle Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalons (Post 589152)
I have never understood the people who want to watch opposite for violations AND rebounding action. Let's call across the lane AND through a crowd of people. This especially makes sense when the L positions him/herself wide outside the lane (sarcasm). These people never seem to have a rational in pre-game for this philosophy when confronted on their reasoning.

On a side note, I worked with an official last year who made the state tournament this year. He was the R for the game and wanted to split the responsibilities between the T and C 80/20. I guess the manual is just a suggestion. Was that change listed on the survey?

Did the 80/20 split make the survey? Ummm, no. Must've just missed the cut. :D

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Mar 18, 2009 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 589076)
https://www.nfhs.org/custom/calendar/default.aspx

The basketball rules meeting is in April, but comment/survey deadline passed 3-9-09 according to the website.

That's ironic because the FED didn't email out the link to the survey till AFTER that date. Maybe a glitch?

As for the bad question, I wanted to answer NO just to see if blew up the survey's server or some really awesome action that could be traced back to me somehow, and I'd have stories for the grandkids some day! :D :p