The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

player control

When can you have player control and no team control? This is for you nevada Not really, it's for everyone.

Last edited by AKOFL; Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 11:11pm.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 10:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Crab dribble?
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
When can you have player control and no team control? This is for you nevada Not really, it's for everyone.
Never. If player control exists, then by definition team control does as well per 4-12-2a.

By rule a player control foul can be committed following the release of a try by an airborne shooter, but even in that case there really isn't player control when the foul occurs.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

That's why I don't like the term player control foul.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's why I don't like the term player control foul.
Then all that you are saying is that you like the current NCAAM's rule and the previous NFHS rule better.

Are you aware that the HS rule used to not include the airborne shooter?
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 07:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

For Your Reading Enjoyment: Citations ...

4-12-1: A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling
a live ball inbounds. There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

4-19-6: A player-control foul is a common foul committed by a player while
he/she is in control of the ball or by an airborne shooter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Then all that you are saying is that you like the current NCAAM's rule and the previous NFHS rule better.

Are you aware that the HS rule used to not include the airborne shooter?
I did not know that. What was the reasoning for the change? Just curious. I have no real problem with the NFHS rule, it's just odd wording. I would like one signal for all offencive fouls though.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not know that. What was the reasoning for the change? Just curious. I have no real problem with the NFHS rule, it's just odd wording. I would like one signal for all offencive fouls though.
The word that I got from some long time vets was that too many officials were screwing up this play. They were incorrect counting or cancelling goals and failing to award bonus FTs at the opposite end because they didn't take a decent look at when the try was released compared to when the contact occurred.

Therefore, the NFHS chose to simplify it and just changed the rule so that the goal is always disallowed and FTs are never awarded. That made for consistent enforcement.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The word that I got from some long time vets was that too many officials were screwing up this play. They were incorrect counting or cancelling goals and failing to award bonus FTs at the opposite end because they didn't take a decent look at when the try was released compared to when the contact occurred.

Therefore, the NFHS chose to simplify it and just changed the rule so that the goal is always disallowed and FTs are never awarded. That made for consistent enforcement.
I find this account plausible and consistent with the NFHS approach to officiating.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Is it still player control for a pass/crass situation?

In a game I had yesterday, I had the pass/crash situation happen. A1 drove toward the basket and passed the ball to A2, and after he released the pass, A1 crashed into B1. I called player control using the player control signal as if he had been an airborne shooter. Is this the correct signal to use or should I have used the push signal with the team control "punch"?
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post
In a game I had yesterday, I had the pass/crash situation happen. A1 drove toward the basket and passed the ball to A2, and after he released the pass, A1 crashed into B1. I called player control using the player control signal as if he had been an airborne shooter. Is this the correct signal to use or should I have used the push signal with the team control "punch"?
By the book would be a push and team control punch. Player is no longer in control.

I like the NCAA W mechanic of just using the punch for all player control fouls and situations like the quote above.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That sounds good to me. It does take that bit of guessing out of the mix. What do you think about just one signal nevada?
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 03:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Get A Headache Using The Other Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I like the NCAA W mechanic of just using the punch for all player control fouls and situations like the quote above.
Agree. Would like to see the NFHS and/or IAABO include it as an official signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

NOT Player Control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post
Once A1 passes he is just another member on the team with control of the ball.

I would punch and call the push.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Quote:
That sounds good to me. It does take that bit of guessing out of the mix. What do you think about just one signal nevada?
If they went to only one signal, I would prefer the hand behind the head. I don't care for the punch signal because it looks too similar to the mechanic for scoring the goal when the offensive player is fouled while making the shot.
Yes, I know that the proper NCAA mechanic is to extend two fingers for this, but I still think that from a distance the two look too much alike. The hand behind the head mechanic eliminates any possible confusion.