The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
How can you commit a player control foul when you don't have the ball anymore. (airbourn shooter after release) This needs to change to be more like college.
How can A1 jump and release a try and then be fouled before he returns to the floor and be awarded free throws?
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 10:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post
What happens on a held ball after shot try, there is no defense because there is No team control after the shot is released.
There's a reason they stopped this very brief and silly experiment in the NCAA.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
1. Get rid of all the uniform rules that officials have to enforce during a game.
2. Get rid of all uniform rules that officials have to enforce during a game.
3. Get rid of all rules that turn officials into the fashion police.
I love calling fouls #3964 whose game jersey is red on the left half and white on the right. The only hard part about working games with that team is I have to make them show me their backs every time I call a foul as their shirts don't have numbers on the front. Some officials get confused but they just have the players take of their shirts and switch to a less confusing uniform within the visual confines of the court.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
How about resetting the team fouls at the start of each quarter and shooting the bonus on the 4th team foul of the quarter (automatic bonus on the 6th)? You still get 6 common fouls in each half where you don't shoot the 1-and-1, but this way you ensure that you're never shooting the bonus for an entire quarter. I hate getting to the second quarter and saying, "Ok, 1-and-1 the rest of the way".

I'd also like to see the team foul reset at the beginning of each extra period, as well, but I don't think that would ever fly.
1. I've been thinking the same thing most of this thread. Doesn't the NBA do something similar? This could also help in speeding the game up, so we're not shooting 1 and 1 at the start of the second and fourth quarters. I'm in full support of this one.

2. Only let coaches call TO during dead balls. I hate the misunderstandings that happen when they're allowed to call TO during live balls, and I don't like being distracted by it either.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
How can A1 jump and release a try and then be fouled before he returns to the floor and be awarded free throws?
That is not considered a player control foul. That particular foul is on the defence and therefor a foul in the act of shooting. Has nothing to do with player control which is foul by the guy who HAD the ball and now does not. Help me out if I'm only seeing my side of this.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Cleefy
I'm not familiar with your rules, however, I'll throw a couple of points into this thread:

1. FIBA will be moving to an Americanized set of rules in 2010 and 2012. Starting with a no-charge semi circle, a rectangular key-way and a 14 and 24 second reset on our shot clock depending on what occurs.

Secondly, I agree with giving a heldball to the defensive team, however, if the held ball is occured after a looseball situation - including a shot, we should simply consult the AP arrow.

Thirdly, I don't know how often this happens in your neck of the woods, and whether you all have a rule about it, but heres what I'd like to see:

Player A1 is close to a boundary line, with the ball, closely guarded by B1. A1 is stuck with no pass, and cannot dribble, so they throw the ball, intentionally off B1. In my book, this should be a turnover by A1, and not an out of bounds by B1...
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 07:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
How about resetting the team fouls at the start of each quarter and shooting the bonus on the 4th team foul of the quarter (automatic bonus on the 6th)? You still get 6 common fouls in each half where you don't shoot the 1-and-1, but this way you ensure that you're never shooting the bonus for an entire quarter. I hate getting to the second quarter and saying, "Ok, 1-and-1 the rest of the way".

I'd also like to see the team foul reset at the beginning of each extra period, as well, but I don't think that would ever fly.
Scraps, I'll get in your corner here!

One of our local Rec Leagues had a B13/15 Division that didn't have enough coaches/players to make up another team(s) - so they went with nine or ten players per team and increased the length of the quaters to NINE minutes so everyone would get sufficient playing time. You talk about some hack fests, Double Bonus early and often, and lengthy games....... And NO we didn't get paid extra!
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 07:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Point Taken ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I love calling fouls #3964 whose game jersey is red on the left half and white on the right. The only hard part about working games with that team is I have to make them show me their backs every time I call a foul as their shirts don't have numbers on the front. Some officials get confused but they just have the players take of their shirts and switch to a less confusing uniform within the visual confines of the court.
Well played.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
How about held ball goes to the defence? Keep the arrow for the quarters but reward the defence for their hard work.
NCAA tried it -- it didn't work. The offense's job is to keep the ball; the defense's job is to get the ball. Neither quite succeeded, so give each "1/2 a cookie" -- one gets the ball; the other gets the arrow.

Quote:
Player control fouls gone, all become team control fouls.
How is this different (other than from a purely definitional sense) from what we have now?

Quote:
How can you commit a player control foul when you don't have the ball anymore. (airbourn shooter after release) This needs to change to be more like college.
Because the action that led to the foul occurred while the player still had PC. I'd be more in favor of having NCAAM switch back the the NCAAW / FED rule on this.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Fed: Add shot clock...team control on throw-in when at the disposal of thrower

NCAA-M: Airborn shooter to match Fed rule.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

10 Second Count

Get rid of the 10 second back court count all together. You have a shot clock...who cares if they take 20 seconds to get the ball across half court? That rule was put in place before shot clocks were used to prevent the old 4 corner stall.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post
Get rid of the 10 second back court count all together. You have a shot clock...who cares if they take 20 seconds to get the ball across half court? That rule was put in place before shot clocks were used to prevent the old 4 corner stall.
I assume you're talking NCAA.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:18am
Ref Ump Welsch

I'd like to see the coaching box rule expanded so that when the HC gets a DIRECT T, not only does he/she lose the box, but must wear a sign that says: "I'm a howler monkey and got whacked for it!"
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:37am
We don't rent pigs

As fueled by discussion in another thread, add "official gives the ball to the wrong team" to the correctable error list. Although I have never seen this happen at a crucial point in any game, if it did, obviously the consequences could be huge.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I'd like to see the coaching box rule expanded so that when the HC gets a DIRECT T, not only does he/she lose the box, but must wear a sign that says: "I'm a howler monkey and got whacked for it!"
And the sign is stapled to his forehead.