Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

2009 Rule Changes NFHS

Here are the Rule Changes and POE for 2009 High School posted @ nfhs.org

2009 Softball Rules Changes
1-3-3 Added to the softball specifications a requirement that the dynamic stiffness of softballs not exceed 7,500 lbs/inch when tested under current proposed ASTM test methods. Effective January 1, 2010.
Rationale: This standard will better control softballs and should bring more consistency to the softball marketplace without lowering the current static compression of 375 lbs/inch. Static compression and dynamic stiffness are completely different measurements, so these numbers should not be compared.The additional specification makes NFHS softball consistent with ASA.

2-8-2 Changed the definition of a bunt attempt to holding the bat in the strike zone and requiring the bat to be withdrawn in order to take a pitch.
Rationale: The new definition will make the bunt attempt easier for an umpire to determine and creates a better balance between offense and defense.

6-1-4d
and Note Changed the pitching windup requirement to a maximum of one and a half clockwise revolutions. Previous note was deleted.
Rationale: Pitchers are attempting to gain an advantage by deceiving the batter. The rules change will make an illegal pitch easier to identify and enforcement more consistent.

6-2-3 Penalty Changed the penalty for a pitcher exceeding the required 20-second time limit to a ball awarded to the batter - not an illegal pitch.
Rationale: The rules change makes a violation of the time to pitch by the pitcher consistent with a batter failing to be ready within 10 seconds after the ball has been returned to the pitcher. An illegal pitch penalty is excessive as it also awards runners one additional base.
2009 MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGES

1-4-2 Clarified that one American flag (2 inch x 3 inch maximum) is permitted on the glove.

1-7-1 Clarified that if an eye shield is worn attached to the catcher's helmet, it must be constructed of a molded, rigid material that is clear and permits 100 percent (no tint) allowable light transmission.

3-2-1
New Note Clarified that a state association may, on an individual basis, permit a player to participate while wearing a different style uniform for religious reasons.

3-2-7 Clarified that exposed undergarments must be a solid color.
6-2-3;
7-3-1 Clarified that the timeframe for delivering the next pitch or being in the batter's box begins when the ball has been returned to the pitcher to prepare for the next pitch. Also clarified that a pitcher is committed to delivering the pitch when the hands are brought together.

2009 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. Pitching
2. Obstruction/Interference
3. DP/FLEX
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT
Here are the Rule Changes and POE for 2009 High School posted @ nfhs.org

2-8-2 Changed the definition of a bunt attempt to holding the bat in the strike zone and requiring the bat to be withdrawn in order to take a pitch.
Rationale: The new definition will make the bunt attempt easier for an umpire to determine and creates a better balance between offense and defense.
I don't believe this is a good change and not for a second do I believe this makes anything easier for the umpire.

Quote:
6-1-4d
and Note Changed the pitching windup requirement to a maximum of one and a half clockwise revolutions. Previous note was deleted.
Rationale: Pitchers are attempting to gain an advantage by deceiving the batter. The rules change will make an illegal pitch easier to identify and enforcement more consistent.
What?

Quote:
6-2-3 Penalty Changed the penalty for a pitcher exceeding the required 20-second time limit to a ball awarded to the batter - not an illegal pitch.
Rationale: The rules change makes a violation of the time to pitch by the pitcher consistent with a batter failing to be ready within 10 seconds after the ball has been returned to the pitcher. An illegal pitch penalty is excessive as it also awards runners one additional base.
This one I like.

Quote:
2009 MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGES

1-4-2 Clarified that one American flag (2 inch x 3 inch maximum) is permitted on the glove.
Sure, a ball glove never gets thrown around in the mud, dirt or gets soiled with sweat.

Quote:
3-2-1
New Note Clarified that a state association may, on an individual basis, permit a player to participate while wearing a different style uniform for religious reasons.
Oh, this is cute.

Quote:
7-3-1 Clarified that the timeframe for delivering the next pitch or being in the batter's box begins when the ball has been returned to the pitcher to prepare for the next pitch. Also clarified that a pitcher is committed to delivering the pitch when the hands are brought together.
Well, that certainly puts a crimp in a pitcher needing to back off the pitcher's plate.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think Irish for the most part pretty much summed up my thoughts on the major issues.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
...Oh, this is cute...
What likely brought that about: D.C. High School Track Star Disqualified Over Muslim Uniform
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

OK so Irish was wrong, its not cute, its lame.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Does anybody with a clue vote on NFHS rules changes?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT
What was the prvs definintion?
Is this "new" definition significantly different?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
same as ASA.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
From what I am seeing here, not likely.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I read it correctly, this brings the Fed closer to NCAA's rule
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is a significant, and extremely stupid change. The old rule required that the batter must offer at a pitch for it to be called a strike, and that the mere holding of the bat in the strike zone does not constitute a strike. Obviously, the NFHS felt the need to cave to coaches pressure to want a cheap strike, in much the same way as the NCAA always does on these types of rules. I am really hoping that the NFHS will recant this rule. It is stupid. Did I mention that I thought that this was stupid???

Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
If I read it correctly, this brings the Fed closer to NCAA's rule
Sadly. All it is is a desire by coaches to get a really cheap strike.

Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
Yes. Her name is Diane Kolb, and she is my neighbor and friend. She is YOUR representative on the NFHS committee. She listens to anyone who has a clue about taking the time to call, e-mail or write instead of just being a reactionary and leashes out about stuff.

A list of rule changes to be considered was available to the public, including umpires, on the NFHS web site.

Anyone wanting to get in touch with Diane can PM me and I can make the connection happen.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

does anybody know what the penalty will now be for exceeding the 20 seconds? I like how NCAA has it broken down.... ten for the batter and ten for the pitcher to step on the pitchers plate.... 10 for her to come together and 5 to pitch.... that makes the most logical sense... but again I didnt see what the penalty will now be? if its not an illegal pitch what will it be ? a dead ball award? or just a ...hey uh pitch you gotta throw it not make friends with it...??????

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
does anybody know what the penalty will now be for exceeding the 20 seconds? I like how NCAA has it broken down.... ten for the batter and ten for the pitcher to step on the pitchers plate.... 10 for her to come together and 5 to pitch.... that makes the most logical sense... but again I didnt see what the penalty will now be? if its not an illegal pitch what will it be ? a dead ball award? or just a ...hey uh pitch you gotta throw it not make friends with it...??????
Just as stated in the OP, it will be a ball awarded to the batter.

JMO, but I believe the NCAA breakdown of time allowance is a bit too much. What can be simpler than, "here's the ball, you have 20 second to throw it"?