The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you're attempting to solve a problem that is purely philosophical.
I brought these same things up last year and, I think, the year before. It was based on my experience in games, so 3 years of game experience is not "purely philosophical," although I think you meant, "hypothetical." I certainly don't claim to speak for your experience, so don't think that just because you haven't had this happen to you, it doesn't exist. Let me put it this way: due in large part to the increased physical nature of the game (and our reactions or lack thereof to it), I have had serious thoughts of whether I want to continue working basketball. I still love the game, but I hate where its going and from my perspective, if the committee doesn't get control of some of these issues (physical play, foul counts, game time, etc.), we're going to have some real problems down the road. While you may agree or disagree with my interpretation of these issues, but given that, does that sound like I'm presenting a hypothetical?

One thing I didn't mention that would help if the "decline" rule was put in was situations where the team ahead by 3 late would foul the opponent to keep them from hitting a 3 point shot. We've seen this a LOT (or at least, the attempts) over the last 3 years and coaches I've talked to think its essentially a required strategy.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMatthew View Post
Fed: Add shot clock
Not an expense a lot of school districts would like to add to their budget.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAA tried it -- it didn't work. The offense's job is to keep the ball; the defense's job is to get the ball. Neither quite succeeded, so give each "1/2 a cookie" -- one gets the ball; the other gets the arrow.

The defence should be rewarded for keeping the offence from doing their job. Just some thoughts and I see your point. This would probably make more problems for us to deal with.

How is this different (other than from a purely definitional sense) from what we have now?

Just to make make it one signal for all

Because the action that led to the foul occurred while the player still had PC. I'd be more in favor of having NCAAM switch back the the NCAAW / FED rule on this.
What is the def of player control? A pass and crash is similar and that is only a team control foul. Granted no shot attempt but they still jump to pass and commite the foul after the realease and have no player control, so ruled a team control. Thoughts? How do you guys change color of sentances and bold type words?

Last edited by AKOFL; Tue Mar 03, 2009 at 12:59pm.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I brought these same things up last year and, I think, the year before. It was based on my experience in games, so 3 years of game experience is not "purely philosophical," although I think you meant, "hypothetical." I certainly don't claim to speak for your experience, so don't think that just because you haven't had this happen to you, it doesn't exist.
No, I meant philosophical in that I don't see it as a problem. You are right, though, in that my experience shouldn't be used as a blanket. Neither, however, should yours.

I don't see 2 or 3 extra fouls in 1 out of every 4 or 5 games as a problem. If you see it happen more often than that and more pronounced, maybe it's just your area.

Most teams I've had have gone to a more agressive steal attempt rather than purposefully fouling.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
As fueled by discussion in another thread, add "official gives the ball to the wrong team" to the correctable error list. Although I have never seen this happen at a crucial point in any game, if it did, obviously the consequences could be huge.
I would like to see this added to CE list UNTIL a change of possession (caused by a try or turnover).

Further, I would like to see the CE modified to indicate that IF a team received a direct benefit from an erroneously awards inbounds (i.e. the team scored during that possession), the error of NOT awarding free throws would be ignored since the team already scored two/three points via the inbounds possession.

I would like to see players allowed to step into the lane on release --except for the FT shooter. I have never understood why we feel that there is any more "rough" play on a rebound when the shot is taken from 15' directly in front of the basket when the players are placed in a specific order rather than during ANY OTHER SHOTS on the court.

If we are going to keep three players along the lane, I would like to move the spaces down 18" from their current location (give the schools three or four years of lead time to handle the stripping/repainting of the lines). This would put the defending team slightly closer to the basket, but not as cfar as they are today. This would also allow for the reintroduction of the block in a meaningful position.

I would like to see the backcourt violation provisions modified to indicate that if the defending team makes contact with the ball, the backcourt provision would not apply until the team has gained PLAYER CONTROL with ALL THREE POINTS IN THE FRONTCOURT. In essence, this change would significantly decrease the number of last-touch-first-touch backcourt violations.

Modify the backcourt "exceptions" on throw-ins/jump balls to include all players UNTIL A PLAYER HAS ESTABLISHED PLAYER CONTROL. This modification would allow for an offensive player to catch the ball while in the air from frontcourt to backcourt to have the "exception" even if another offensive player or defensive player tipped the ball (thus, officially ending the throw-in and the exception). The same provisions would apply for the jump ball thus allowing a player to catch a tap by jumping from his/her frontcourt, catching the ball in the air and landing in the backcourt when the ball has either made contact with the floor (thus, ending the jump ball and its exception provisions) or an opponent (thus, ending the jump ball and its exception provisions). These provisions are the way 95% of the coaches THINK the rules are now, thus the change would actually only be a change for officials and 5% of the coaches.

Either allow any color of headband OR ONLY allow the primary color of the uniform (it is not fair that only the cream colored pre-wrap is legal -- make all pre-wrap colors legal or none of them legal UNLESS they match the uniform).

Either allow shooting sleeves -- with color provisions required -- OR completely disallow them. The medical "loophole" is big enough to drive any shooting sleeve through. Either prohibit them completely or simply allow them so long as they are the primary color of the uniform or white (this would allow one color for home/road combined).

Change delaying entry onto court into a violation instead of a technical foul (I like this idea as many others have suggested).

Expand the coaches box to 28'. Don't allow the coaches to complain any more than they do, but if they are coaching, let them stand where they would like.

I agree with Bob Jenkins' proposed change in concept, but would like to lessen the time. If there is less than the time to catch and shoot a shot, the team could pass (i.e. less than .3 seconds).

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Tue Mar 03, 2009 at 01:16pm.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Either allow any color of headband OR ONLY allow the primary color of the uniform (it is not fair that only the cream colored pre-wrap is legal -- make all pre-wrap colors legal or none of them legal UNLESS they match the uniform).
This is not completely correct. All colors of pre-wrap are legal, they just have to match or fit the subscribed colors listed by the rulebook. But I have seen black, red, blue and tan pre-wrap.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:16pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
And the sign is stapled to his forehead.
Appropriate mechanic needing to be the partner who did not whack him gets to do the stapling. In three-man, rotate again so the third official is the "innocent" party and gets to watch the coach bleed to death behind him/her.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
.....gets to watch the coach bleed to death.....
You're assuming coaches are flesh and blood creatures. I have evidence they are really aliens. Do these look like human beings to you?

Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Expand the coaches box to 28'. Don't allow the coaches to complain any more than they do, but if they are coaching, let them stand where they would like.
You could give them the entire length of the court and they would still violate the coaching box. They would be on the floor more than they are now.

Rules are made to be broken according to the coaches mindset. JMO
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
1. Get rid of all the uniform rules that officials have to enforce during a game.
2. Get rid of all uniform rules that officials have to enforce during a game.
3. Get rid of all rules that turn officials into the fashion police.
I second this one.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

If a team plays with 4 players (following a TO or substitution), then they continue to play with 4 until the next opportunity to substitute.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I'd like to see the coaching box rule expanded so that when the HC gets a DIRECT T, not only does he/she lose the box, but must wear a sign that says: "I'm a howler monkey and got whacked for it!"
I'll take it a step further. I suggest that when a coach whines about a rule and is incorrect, he/she has to wear a dunce cap for the remainder of the game.

I see it now, no more coaches complaining about rules unless they are 1000% sure they know what the rule actually is.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Eliminate 8 minute quarters and go to 16 minute halves.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Modify the backcourt "exceptions" on throw-ins/jump balls to include all players UNTIL A PLAYER HAS ESTABLISHED PLAYER CONTROL. This modification would allow for an offensive player to catch the ball while in the air from frontcourt to backcourt to have the "exception" even if another offensive player or defensive player tipped the ball (thus, officially ending the throw-in and the exception). The same provisions would apply for the jump ball thus allowing a player to catch a tap by jumping from his/her frontcourt, catching the ball in the air and landing in the backcourt when the ball has either made contact with the floor (thus, ending the jump ball and its exception provisions) or an opponent (thus, ending the jump ball and its exception provisions). These provisions are the way 95% of the coaches THINK the rules are now, thus the change would actually only be a change for officials and 5% of the coaches.
I like this, but think it could and should be done more thoroughly. It would also be simpler, just make the exception apply to all situations where team control gets established in the air.
Defense, throwin, after a throwin but before team control gets established, jump balls, rebounds.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is not completely correct. All colors of pre-wrap are legal, they just have to match or fit the subscribed colors listed by the rulebook. But I have seen black, red, blue and tan pre-wrap.

Peace
As JRut said, your impression of the headband rule is incorrect. Currently,
Quote:
Headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants.

Although I haven't had much problem with this rule, I think that perhaps it could use some tweaking. I don't care what color the headband is, to be honest. It should be required that all the headbands for every individual is the same/similar. Make it simple.

-Josh